Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,913 times

Advertisements

I have a new construction home with plank floor tiles throughout. The day after we took possession of the home, after using the shower and wiping the floor down, we began to notice a white haze on the tiles that cannot be removed. This began to manifest itself in other areas of the home, more noticeable in walk ways or near moisture, in front of sliders etc. The builder sent his handy man over who began using a two part process first a cleaner/remover then a type of polish. These are "over the counter" products. I stopped the process for two reasons. Although the treated areas looked better, by virtue of the shine left, I didn't want a topical product on them that I would have to re do every year or so building more layers. Secondly the white haze areas weren't completely removed. Builder says they put a product on the floors to make them "pop". Seems to be whatever this was is causing the problem.

I had a professional cleaning company look at it and said it was grout haze. When he started his cleaning process, he realized it wasn't grout related and needed to get "more powerful" solution and go over it twice to get it all up.

Anyone in the industry hear of anything like this or know someone who would be able to look at this and offer a solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 05:49 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,108,186 times
my first reaction was grout haze, its almost certain in most cases. I cant think what else it could be.

the tile wont "leach', it could be excess adhesive if they were messy tilers.

my first try would be white vinegar, and a soft bristle scrubbing brush. if that doesn't work then you may need to try acid. in either event clean water is the key, so keep changing it.

some people don't recommend anything acidic , as it MIGHT damage the tile or grout, but sometimes you have to be severe (and wash it off asap)

ive not heard of using an 'enhancer' , I would ask for manufacturers details and see what they say.

its definitely an issue that can happen, that's why we are promoting wood floors these days...……..no grout !!!!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2020, 06:38 AM

1,065 posts, read 577,708 times
Hey Pete, can tell us more about why you are promoting wood floors “these days”?

Old 03-21-2020, 05:40 AM

sorry for the delay, been a bit busy as you can imagine

ok, so around 2 years ago I was looking for tile for my own home. I wanted a BIG plank so it looked real and did find a 7' x 10" one that was awesome but going to cost me over $16k !!

I then went to a Mohawk trade show and was shown their new Revwood product. its a laminate yes, but with a new patented locking system that makes it water RESISTANT ..100% lifetime guaranteed (ok we will see). it was also hard wearing and looked great......oh and also cost 25% of the tile !!!

so on the basis I never recommend something I wouldn't use in my own home, I installed it

I LOVE IT

looks great,
very easy to keep clean
no grout lines
hard wearing
if water is spilt it just lays on it , you mop it up, solved
no grout lines
it floats so is easier on the joints
no worries about cracking
no grout lines
much quicker to install , saving time and meaning we can offer a more expensive product at no extra
dogs don't scratch it

and guess what no grout , which is a huge plus

if anyone wants to see the product I have samples

Old 03-21-2020, 08:12 AM

Great post, Pete, what about a picture?

Old 03-22-2020, 05:55 AM

hope this come s through ok
Attached Thumbnails
Floor Tile Problem-img_1971.jpg   Floor Tile Problem-img_1972.jpg  

Old 03-23-2020, 09:19 PM

Looks great, Pete. I like the very clean, consistent color without grout lines. Good luck with it.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:24 AM

5,100 posts, read 4,863,161 times
This is directed to mr&mrssunshine: One problem I've seen with some laminates is that the ends butt up to each other (whereas the sides "click" together) and begin to curl up after a while. Have you had any issues with that?

Old 03-25-2020, 11:59 AM

this clicks into the ends as well, its fantastic

Old 08-05-2020, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,913 times
Sorry for the delay in picking up this thread. We had a professional tile and grout service come in to clean the "grout haze". Once he got started he stated " this is not grout haze " as he originally thought (and cleaned a test spot) stating it was grout haze. I mention that because it was his test and confidence in believing it was grout haze that convinced us to go with an independant contractor to get them clean instead of putting it back on the builder. We just wanted it taken care of as we just tookj posession. The guy was half way through his process, i stepped out for a while, when I returned, the floors looked horrible. There were "distressed" looking streaks running throughout the tiles. Seems he took the finish off of the tile. I then got the builder involved, after he stated there was nothing he could do now because we went with a private contractor, I asked him if he could please get the the tile manufacturer involved. I asked this for two reasons, 1) to see if this was even possible as everyone in the industry I spoke to, including the cleaning contractor, stated it is not possible for this cleaning process to do this, and 2) what options, if any, I have at this point to fix this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte