Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 09:21 PM

43 posts, read 43,269 times

Advertisements

The canal system under the Edgewater North MSBU is currently in the process of approval for dredging of the canal system. These are the canals such as Elkam and Sunrise waterways and adjacent finger canals. The MSBU is actively trying to block the dredging as they have constantly done for many years. Many of us homeowners, especially boaters, want the dredging to be done and are actively encouraging the County commissioners to push it forward. These canals have never been dredged since their creation 60 yrs ago. They are very shallow in many sections and unusable during extreme low tides. Decades of silt have accumulated.

I'd like to hear from others that have lived on canals that have received dredging. What kind of changes did you experience, pros and cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 03:27 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,937,562 times
I live on the Ackerman canal for 10 years now. Lewis Creek, which is between the Ackerman Canal and Alligator bay and is included on the Ackerman's MSBU map, was dredged a few years back but I never received any notification about it. I don't know who requested it but it did indeed need it in one area that constantly shoals over. I'm assuming that the $$ came out of the Ackerman Waterway Maintenance fund. Oddly, the Manchester Waterway, whose only access to open water is thru Lewis Creek, MSBU map doesn't include Lewis Creek too. Does that mean that the Ackerman fund footed 100% of the bill that benefits more Manchester Waterway users than Ackerman users? I donno. Nor have I been able to find out looking online.

I haven't seen any kind of accounting for the $$ collected on our taxes for the MSBUs. It would be nice if the county posted some kind of "Monies in; Monies out" since we're the ones putting that money in. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place? Trying to find anything on the county's website is a struggle, as their site SUCKS. Not user friendly in the least.
Sorry, but I guess this didn't really answer any questions that you had. More of a venting session for me.

Old 03-18-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I live on the Ackerman canal for 10 years now. Lewis Creek, which is between the Ackerman Canal and Alligator bay and is included on the Ackerman's MSBU map, was dredged a few years back but I never received any notification about it. I don't know who requested it but it did indeed need it in one area that constantly shoals over. I'm assuming that the $$ came out of the Ackerman Waterway Maintenance fund. Oddly, the Manchester Waterway, whose only access to open water is thru Lewis Creek, MSBU map doesn't include Lewis Creek too. Does that mean that the Ackerman fund footed 100% of the bill that benefits more Manchester Waterway users than Ackerman users? I donno. Nor have I been able to find out looking online.

I haven't seen any kind of accounting for the $$ collected on our taxes for the MSBUs. It would be nice if the county posted some kind of "Monies in; Monies out" since we're the ones putting that money in. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place? Trying to find anything on the county's website is a struggle, as their site SUCKS. Not user friendly in the least.
Sorry, but I guess this didn't really answer any questions that you had. More of a venting session for me.
The funding of the dredging may have come completely from your MSBU, or partially funded by the county or in the form of a loan. Did your taxes increase after the project? The Akerman MSBU has been abolished since 2015 which likely means the board was not doing what the homeowners wanted so they did away with them. My MSBU is acting the same way so having to go above their heads to the county is required.

Since my MSBU barely collects any funds ($20 year per homeowner), the project will have to be financed ($3-5 million) with hopefully some County help. It could be $40-$70 month for several years in added taxes. The lack of foresight with my MSBU over the past 60 yrs has left us with this huge expense all at once. They could have collected more over the years and had this paid for. I think my MSBU has outlived it's usefulness so will likely be abolished too.

This person of contact may be able to answer some of your questions:
KARLENE MCDONALD Community Liaison
Maintenance and Operations
Karlene.McDonald@CharlotteCountyFL.gov
941-575-3627
https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/pe...-mcdonald.stml

Some of our canals have some real major depth issues and the damn MSBU is recommending against dredging. I'll post a couple examples below.

Old 03-19-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnieLibrun View Post
wow, great pics of a useless canal !
Exactly, and the clowns on the MSBU board say dredging isn't needed.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:14 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlyJ View Post
The funding of the dredging may have come completely from your MSBU, or partially funded by the county or in the form of a loan. Did your taxes increase after the project? The Akerman MSBU has been abolished since 2015 which likely means the board was not doing what the homeowners wanted so they did away with them. My MSBU is acting the same way so having to go above their heads to the county is required.

Since my MSBU barely collects any funds ($20 year per homeowner), the project will have to be financed ($3-5 million) with hopefully some County help. It could be $40-$70 month for several years in added taxes. The lack of foresight with my MSBU over the past 60 yrs has left us with this huge expense all at once. They could have collected more over the years and had this paid for. I think my MSBU has outlived it's usefulness so will likely be abolished too.

This person of contact may be able to answer some of your questions:
KARLENE MCDONALD Community Liaison
Maintenance and Operations
Karlene.McDonald@CharlotteCountyFL.gov
941-575-3627
https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/pe...-mcdonald.stml

Some of our canals have some real major depth issues and the damn MSBU is recommending against dredging. I'll post a couple examples below.

Holy Sh#t!

Old 03-20-2022, 05:06 PM

30,393 posts, read 21,210,559 times
Quote:
wow, great pics of a useless canal !
Our canals were like 130ft wide and 15ft deep. They were redone in the early 1970's to make them deeper in Danashores in Tamp.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Our canals were like 130ft wide and 15ft deep. They were redone in the early 1970's to make them deeper in Danashores in Tamp.
Our canals are about 60-70ft wide. They aren't categorized as deep-water, sailboat canals but the condition they're in right now is not good. On normal tides they are usable for regular vessels without excessive drafts but they are not far away to being non-navigable. On an extreme low-tide they are like the pics I posted, completely worthless. 60 years of no dredging results in this.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:54 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlyJ View Post
Our canals are about 60-70ft wide. They aren't categorized as deep-water, sailboat canals but the condition they're in right now is not good. On normal tides they are usable for regular vessels without excessive drafts but they are not far away to being non-navigable. On an extreme low-tide they are like the pics I posted, completely worthless. 60 years of no dredging results in this.
Wow, I never thought those canals would get that low. :

Old 03-21-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
blame uber environmentalists who think dredging is an automatic negative, when the opposite is true
Not just dredging, but dredging man-made canals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte