Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 07:52 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,843,568 times

Advertisements

I predict post-Ian, with all this publicity about how they got NO damage,

Babcock Ranch is going to be THE PLACE to live in Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 03:29 PM

79 posts, read 105,914 times
It all depends on what you are looking for and your expectations as well as what you came from. If you want to be near "something", Babcock ranch is out in the middle of nowhere. It may not stay "nowhere" for long, but it is isolated. If you want things and nice things, take a look at Sarasota. Mind you, the farther you go up the coast, and if you want to be on or near the water, the more expensive things will be. We moved to Punta Gorda. It is a sleepy, safe, town. It is missing some of the retail that you might find in nicer areas. Of course, if you want urban sprawl, head across the river into Port Charlotte where you will be greeted by strip mall after strip mall. If being on the water is not important and you don't plan on taking advantage of the wonderful beaches, then Babcock ranch may be the place. If you like the stepford wives feel of it, then look even farther South near Ft Myers and Immokele where you will find the development around Panther run golf course. Again, depends on what you want. Until this storm, Punta Gorda hadn't had a hurricane in 18 years. And we had plenty of notice down here too that it was coming.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:00 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchonodinero View Post
It all depends on what you are looking for and your expectations as well as what you came from. If you want to be near "something", Babcock ranch is out in the middle of nowhere. It may not stay "nowhere" for long, but it is isolated. If you want things and nice things, take a look at Sarasota. Mind you, the farther you go up the coast, and if you want to be on or near the water, the more expensive things will be. We moved to Punta Gorda. It is a sleepy, safe, town. It is missing some of the retail that you might find in nicer areas. Of course, if you want urban sprawl, head across the river into Port Charlotte where you will be greeted by strip mall after strip mall. If being on the water is not important and you don't plan on taking advantage of the wonderful beaches, then Babcock ranch may be the place. If you like the stepford wives feel of it, then look even farther South near Ft Myers and Immokele where you will find the development around Panther run golf course. Again, depends on what you want. Until this storm, Punta Gorda hadn't had a hurricane in 18 years. And we had plenty of notice down here too that it was coming.
I wouldn't consider Punta Gorda small anymore. Pretty built up now. But like most of SWFL very old so sleepy in the sense of the age bracket.

Retail wouldn't be so bad if the Port Charlotte mall was better. of course malls are dying, but you'd think between South Sarasota and Ft. Myers it's the only mall basically. You'd think the mall would be bigger to serve all the surrounding areas.

I lived in Naples from 91 to 2002 before moving back to Missouri for 10 years and now living here in Punta Gorda. Today's Punta Gorda reminds me of Naples in the early 90s minus no shopping mall. I'm talking the city of Naples when it was smaller like Punta Gorda.

10 years from now Charlotte County will be like Sarasota County. Will be interesting to see about Sunseekers! Now it's delayed until at least next Sept due to Ian. If we get another major hurricane next summer that will delay it yet again, already delayed due to Covid, then right before Covid they blamed delays on money due to Alligents bad publicity for the 60 minutes story. Seems one thing after another.

It wouldn't shock me if that eye sore eventually becomes abandoned and maybe even eventually torn down. Just seems like so much bad luck and timing around it.

Old 10-14-2022, 05:52 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
60 Minutes had a segment on Ian and part of it was on Babcock Ranch.

Very interesting.

I plan to look into it.
That 60 minute piece sounded more like an advertisement for Babcock Ranch than a news story. The main interviewed person was the developer. He stated Babcock Ranch withstood 150 mph gusts. Has that been verified?

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-14-2022 at 06:14 AM..

Old 10-16-2022, 06:23 AM

451 posts, read 455,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Prices are high because the construction/design is very different from most other FL construction
Babcock is designed to be self sufficient and forward/future oriented
It faired VERY WELL during Ian—partly because it was more inland vs along water but also because it did not lose power—
And I know there probably other neighborhoods where no power was lost but you certainly didn’t hear about it
It's not just the prices of the homes that are high. Any extras or upgrades are 2x as expensive as they should be.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:34 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
60 Minutes had a segment on Ian and part of it was on Babcock Ranch.

Very interesting.

I plan to look into it.
So do I but I have a feeling the positive 60 Minute segment is going to drive up the home price. My co-worker moved there within the last year and she loves it there.

And yes, they didn't lose power with Ian and neither did Gateway in Fort Myers because their utilities are underground where they should be in Florida.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
That 60 minute piece sounded more like an advertisement for Babcock Ranch than a news story. The main interviewed person was the developer. He stated Babcock Ranch withstood 150 mph gusts. Has that been verified?
My co-worker lives there and she said she's never lived anyplace where they didn't lose power during a hurricane except Babcock Ranch. She also said very little damage there, mostly just a few shingles blown off roofs. Nothing like the rest of the area had. I'm in Cape Coral and while I was fortunate and had little damage, my neighborhood didn't fare as well. No flooding, just major wind damage. We had no power for 12 days. That's a long time if you don't have a generator.

If I stay in my house I will be definitely getting a generator but I am also looking into Babcock Ranch myself right now.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
It's not just the prices of the homes that are high. Any extras or upgrades are 2x as expensive as they should be.
Are you referring to the houses themselves or extras like community pool usage?

Old 10-21-2022, 09:42 AM

451 posts, read 455,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Are you referring to the houses themselves or extras like community pool usage?
I'm talking about upgraded flooring, cabinets, fixtures, etc. My favorite was a $100,000 14x28 pool!

Old 11-24-2022, 05:25 AM

24 posts, read 32,425 times
I agree with those that state that if you are a homebody that the community would be ideal. The downside is venturing out on to 31 with all the large truck traffic that will be ongoing for at least the next ten years. Add in that 31 will eventually be widened and that will make it even worse to deal with during construction. But there are several nice restaurants, a great golf course and groceries. I've been to several homes there and the construction and design appear to be very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte