Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
It's so cute! It's like seeing baby pictures of you. . . as a really BIG baby! 110,000 hits? I am certainly impressed. I will have to ready this whole thread one day on one of my many plane rides.
It was kinda a journal of all my questions, the help I got, and a lot of answers. Many great longstanding contributors helped me and are still around posting. I posted a summary that is near the end of the thread of many great things to think about when buying down here.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 AM

77 posts, read 137,389 times
Just read every word on this thread, taking notes, bookmarking links. What a great source of info! Thank you.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Nic View Post
Just read every word on this thread, taking notes, bookmarking links. What a great source of info! Thank you.
Mama, your very welcome! I hope it really helps!! I purposely tried to track many of the things I did, so that it would help others who are thinking about buying a home here. It should save thousands of dollars, and hours of time. The moderators removed a number of posts because the agent I worked with, and still highly recommend was mentioned with recommendation notes.

I made a lot of friends along the way, and they are still regular posters here. I greatly appreciate the advice they all gave me.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,866 times
All us guys from Maryland rock!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
All us guys from Maryland rock!
We are a helpful lot!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 AM

18 posts, read 28,046 times
Default Question - looking to purchase

In your opinion, if I am really interested in a piece of property in PGI, should I continue to work with the listing agent, or find another agent to represent me. Can the listing agent really " work" for me since she has another responsibility to be the seller agent?
Would appreciate your opinions

Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
very good question traveler, although a lot of realtors are very good and very ethical , you always wonder when they have both sides in and they know the sellers min and the buyers max how hard can they fight for one or the other when they earn the whole caboodle on commision and so their main focus is get the deal done at any cost.

personally I would find a good realtor you like and get on with and then get them to act for you, that way they can also bring you other homes without any bias or agenda...............

Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler55 View Post
In your opinion, if I am really interested in a piece of property in PGI, should I continue to work with the listing agent, or find another agent to represent me. Can the listing agent really " work" for me since she has another responsibility to be the seller agent?
Would appreciate your opinions
Good question. My opinion is, and it is only my opinion.
1) I would choose another agent (and if you DM me I'll recommend one that I use all the time). The reason being is that they will show you other houses that fit your criteria, and are probably not going to "frame" the presentation trying to sell/push you one of their listings over other houses that you may like even better.

2) That said, I find most of the agents are helpful and truthful (with their LIMITED knowledge) of the houses they are showing you. Remember, they don't know what the buyers don't tell them - which often is not much. IF, however they buyers do reveal things to them, then they should pass that along - but sometimes - it isn't mentioned well.

3) If you pick an agent you like, and that works for you. Do them a favor and DO NOT go into a house without them. The other agent that shows you a house - if you are not with your agent will claim you immediately and cut the other agent out of their commission and your agent WILL have to back off. it isn't fair to them, and it happens all the time! Your agent (most do) will work hard to learn what you like and don't like, and will research things for you and put in a lot of work - if you want to look at a certain house - be courteous enough to wait for them to show up. They get cheated all the time down here. And all though the one side of the transaction is 3% there are a lot of fees and charges that you don't see. On a $200,000 house an agent might make $500-1000 if they are lucky, and they will spend half that on gas helping you.

I am not a real estate agent, but I do sell houses - just not on this forum.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 AM

517 posts, read 1,092,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Good question. My opinion is, and it is only my opinion.
1) I would choose another agent (and if you DM me I'll recommend one that I use all the time). The reason being is that they will show you other houses that fit your criteria, and are probably not going to "frame" the presentation trying to sell/push you one of their listings over other houses that you may like even better.

2) That said, I find most of the agents are helpful and truthful (with their LIMITED knowledge) of the houses they are showing you. Remember, they don't know what the buyers don't tell them - which often is not much. IF, however they buyers do reveal things to them, then they should pass that along - but sometimes - it isn't mentioned well.

3) If you pick an agent you like, and that works for you. Do them a favor and DO NOT go into a house without them. The other agent that shows you a house - if you are not with your agent will claim you immediately and cut the other agent out of their commission and your agent WILL have to back off. it isn't fair to them, and it happens all the time! Your agent (most do) will work hard to learn what you like and don't like, and will research things for you and put in a lot of work - if you want to look at a certain house - be courteous enough to wait for them to show up. They get cheated all the time down here. And all though the one side of the transaction is 3% there are a lot of fees and charges that you don't see. On a $200,000 house an agent might make $500-1000 if they are lucky, and they will spend half that on gas helping you.

I am not a real estate agent, but I do sell houses - just not on this forum.
Hi everyone,

I have had concerns that I don't know the "lay of the land" these days as far as working with real estate agents, and Big House's post (see his suggestion #3) confirms my sense that I need to be more knowledgeable (because there are apparently a few scary people ruining it for everyone), so I have a few questions that I'd be grateful if anyone can answer.

I have a real estate agent (or at least someone who is sending me automatic listings) for this area and am still interested in this area. But I'm considering other areas of Florida as well (especially so now that single-family home prices in this area have gone out of my price range and given the helpful but discouraging info I've gotten here re possible future costs for new septic systems and eventually county sewer--possibly soon after the cost of having to install new septic ).

For a couple of the areas I'm considering, I've gotten help from the kind people on City-Data for realtor recommendations. For a couple of other areas, I don't have any recommendations.

Since I haven't narrowed it down to one area, and it seems unfair to ask a realtor to spend a few hours showing me places when I might not even buy in their area, especially when I'm looking at the lowest cost homes, my idea is to go to open houses.

I know that the hosting realtor will typically ask anyone who comes in whether they're working with a realtor. Is there an honest answer I can give that would protect me from that real estate agent's automatically becoming my real estate agent for that property? Do I have to be concerned that if that agent even mentions other properties during a conversation we have at that open house, they would feel they are my agent for those properties too?

In the areas where I have a realtor recommendation, it comes from trustworthy sources and I would definitely want to use that agent, not the open-house agent, especially because these are places hours away from where I live now that I don't know a lot about (other than online research).

In the areas where I don't have a recommendation, it might be fine to work with that (open-house hosting) real estate agent, but I don't want to obligate myself to them before even meeting them simply because they are the open-house host and I'm not in a position yet to say I have a realtor already in their area (in case they turn out to not be knowledgeable or not have the right personality/approach for us to work well together).

I especially want to be able to go to the open houses in gated communities (Kings Point in Sun City Center, Century Village, some of the 55+ places in central Florida, etc.), where I need someone to authorize me to get in the gate, because usually the streetview truck was not allowed in either, so I have no idea about the neighborhoods. (The other way would be to work with a realtor from the start, but again, I don't want to tie up a realtor's time taking me on a tour of several properties before I'm even sure I'd buy anything in their area.)

A couple of other things I'm concerned about is that, compared to the couple of earlier times in my life when I've bought a condo where the rules used to be that the buyer never paid the real estate agent (the real estate agent was paid completely out of the seller's proceeds), I've heard other arrangements sometimes exist now (pay a buyer's agent or pay an extra broker fee tacked on at closing). Is this common?

Also, I would not want to lose my right to buy a for-sale-by-owner property in a particular condo or manufactured home complex (without owing a realtor a fee) just because that realtor showed me a different property in that complex. Any danger this could happen? All things being equal, I would buy the unit the realtor showed me because they were helpful and put in their time. But sometimes things are not equal; there could be a FSBO unit in far better condition or (this matters to me) that has always been transferred by warranty deed or that is a much lower price. And in fact, I would want to be free to decide that if the real estate agent who showed me that property turned out to be not someone I would want to work with, that I could look at other units in that same complex with a different realtor. Again, any need for concern that a real estate agent who shows me a unit would feel they "introduced me" to the complex and have a claim on any unit I buy there?

Also, I can't imagine that a realtor in city A would expect me to use them if I wound up buying in city B a couple of hours' drive away (in my price range, it wouldn't be worth their gas to travel, and on my end I would lose any local expertise a realtor could bring). But Big House's comments about some real estate agents' agressiveness about "claiming" clients has me wondering if I should worry about even this?

Is there a tactful way I can ask a realtor up front what their policies and practices on these things are? I feel like real estate agents work very hard and so these are touchy issues to raise, and generally raising touchy issues is not the best way to say hello, but I'm just concerned about how not to be obligated beyond what I expect. (What I expect is that if I ask a realtor to schedule a property showing for me, I will buy through them if I buy that particular property. And I'm not asking them to put in a lot of time for me apart from showing me the place I ask to see unless, of course, I do buy the place.)

Another thing I'm very curious about is why realtors are willing to take the time to drive me around to properties if I want, but I never hear back when I say that, instead, I would like them to call me if they're showing a property to another buyer in my price range that turns out to be a viable home when they see it but where that other buyer isn't interested in making an offer. I would think this is much less of an imposition on their time to ask this (would be an easy sale for them), but it hasn't worked for me. What am I missing here??

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I feel like I need to start getting out and looking at properties (especially with the recent prices increases), and my lack of knowledge about how things work and how I should proceed is getting in the way.

Oh, and if anyone lives in a great condo or 55+ manufactured home community (adequate reserves, nobody coming to blows at board meetings, etc.) in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Englewood, or Venice (or anywhere else you know of) that's lower priced to recommend, please post or send me a direct message.

Last edited by City__Datarer; 04-06-2013 at 05:40 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Hi everyone,

I have had concerns that I don't know the "lay of the land" these days as far as working with real estate agents, and Big House's post (see his suggestion #3) confirms my sense that I need to be more knowledgeable (because there are apparently a few scary people ruining it for everyone), so I have a few questions that I'd be grateful if anyone can answer.

I have a real estate agent (or at least someone who is sending me automatic listings) for this area and am still interested in this area. But I'm considering other areas of Florida as well (especially so now that single-family home prices in this area have gone out of my price range and given the helpful but discouraging info I've gotten here re possible future costs for new septic systems and eventually county sewer--possibly soon after the cost of having to install new septic ).

For a couple of the areas I'm considering, I've gotten help from the kind people on City-Data for realtor recommendations. For a couple of other areas, I don't have any recommendations.

Since I haven't narrowed it down to one area, and it seems unfair to ask a realtor to spend a few hours showing me places when I might not even buy in their area, especially when I'm looking at the lowest cost homes, my idea is to go to open houses. I would be honest with the realtor you talking to, about what your realistic budget is, when you're really intending to buy, and what you're looking for. Sometimes your expectations are not realistic, and they will tell you - saving time, money, and energy of all parties.

I know that the hosting realtor will typically ask anyone who comes in whether they're working with a realtor. Is there an honest answer I can give that would protect me from that real estate agent's automatically becoming my real estate agent for that property? Do I have to be concerned that if that agent even mentions other properties during a conversation we have at that open house, they would feel they are my agent for those properties too? No, the agent that lets you in the house (unless you are accompanied by your agent) will claim you. If you go to another house, the agent that lets you in there - will claim you. It's cut throat, and regardless of how helpful they seem - when money is involve - that's the way it is.

In the areas where I have a realtor recommendation, it comes from trustworthy sources and I would definitely want to use that agent, not the open-house agent, especially because these are places hours away from where I live now that I don't know a lot about (other than online research). Give your agent a call and give them the option. Sometimes if they are involved, and don't want to drive to a remote or long distance area - they can then at least give another agent there a referral and get some share of the commission or other accommodation.

In the areas where I don't have a recommendation, it might be fine to work with that (open-house hosting) real estate agent, but I don't want to obligate myself to them before even meeting them simply because they are the open-house host and I'm not in a position yet to say I have a realtor already in their area (in case they turn out to not be knowledgeable or not have the right personality/approach for us to work well together). Sometimes, if you are searching all over the place it is true your agent may not have the best knowledge, but they usually will contact another agent in their network and have them assist in your hunt. - You can often request that as well. Don't be afraid to ask, if you think the information is lacking.

I especially want to be able to go to the open houses in gated communities (Kings Point in Sun City Center, Century Village, some of the 55+ places in central Florida, etc.), where I need someone to authorize me to get in the gate, because usually the streetview truck was not allowed in either, so I have no idea about the neighborhoods. (The other way would be to work with a realtor from the start, but again, I don't want to tie up a realtor's time taking me on a tour of several properties before I'm even sure I'd buy anything in their area.) Again, talk to your agent, and see if they can give you a referral - often times they will understand that and accommodate you - if not then you can feel you at least gave them the opportunity.

A couple of other things I'm concerned about is that, compared to the couple of earlier times in my life when I've bought a condo where the rules used to be that the buyer never paid the real estate agent (the real estate agent was paid completely out of the seller's proceeds), I've heard other arrangements sometimes exist now (pay a buyer's agent or pay an extra broker fee tacked on at closing). Is this common? You can hire a buyer's agent, but the agent who sells a house is still going to get a commission from the seller. Many agents claim they are a buyer's agent or claim they do the same thing. I don't think you will get any special help unless you hire them and sign a special agreement with them, and that would have other risks for you. In the end the seller is going to get what he wants or he wont sell - the contracts are pretty standard, and the important terms are already outlined. If you sign a different agreement you may be putting yourself in a box. Consult an attorney before doing that!!!

Also, I would not want to lose my right to buy a for-sale-by-owner property in a particular condo or manufactured home complex (without owing a realtor a fee) just because that realtor showed me a different property in that complex. The agents on both sides of the deal are paid from the proceeds of the sale and are paid for by the Seller - unless specifically called out differently in the contract - which is very unusual. Any danger this could happen? Not likely All things being equal, I would buy the unit the realtor showed me because they were helpful and put in their time. But sometimes things are not equal; there could be a FSBO unit in far better condition or (this matters to me) that has always been transferred by warranty deed or that is a much lower price. And in fact, I would want to be free to decide that if the real estate agent who showed me that property turned out to be not someone I would want to work with, that I could look at other units in that same complex with a different realtor. Again, any need for concern that a real estate agent who shows me a unit would feel they "introduced me" to the complex and have a claim on any unit I buy there? They have to show you the unit, and accompany you inside. Someone is going to get a commission for the sale.

Also, I can't imagine that a realtor in city A would expect me to use them if I wound up buying in city B a couple of hours' drive away (in my price range, it wouldn't be worth their gas to travel, and on my end I would lose any local expertise a realtor could bring). But Big House's comments about some real estate agents' agressiveness about "claiming" clients has me wondering if I should worry about even this? You don't have to worry. You can walk away from your agent at any time for any reason, and they are with out hope of ever making a claim against you. You don't have to worry about City A or B or the house next door. But, if another agent lets a buyer in, and the buyer's are working with an agent - the agent is screwed, and there is NOTHING they can do about it. To me, that's not fair, especially after they have spent a ton of money and energy working for that buyer, believing they are working with them. But, that said, the agent is out of luck - no matter what - if another agent shows you or another one of their clients a house and you or their other client buys it. Happens all the time - my purpose is not to judge, just make people aware of this all to common situation. I've seen many buyers feel remorseful that their agent was (unfairly, but none the less) cut out of the deal. Again, the seller is paying these fees, and you aren't negotiating the fees the agents get in the sales price - why not help the person get their share of the commission after they've worked for you - it costs the buyers nothing.

Is there a tactful way I can ask a realtor up front what their policies and practices on these things are? I feel like real estate agents work very hard and so these are touchy issues to raise, and generally raising touchy issues is not the best way to say hello, but I'm just concerned about how not to be obligated beyond what I expect. (What I expect is that if I ask a realtor to schedule a property showing for me, I will buy through them if I buy that particular property. And I'm not asking them to put in a lot of time for me apart from showing me the place I ask to see unless, of course, I do buy the place.)

Another thing I'm very curious about is why realtors are willing to take the time to drive me around to properties if I want, but I never hear back when I say that, instead, I would like them to call me if they're showing a property to another buyer in my price range that turns out to be a viable home when they see it but where that other buyer isn't interested in making an offer. I would think this is much less of an imposition on their time to ask this (would be an easy sale for them), but it hasn't worked for me. What am I missing here?? If potential buyer is a lookie loo, and never making any serious offers - why would they want to spend all their time, gas and energy being a tourist guide? That's the question they will ask themselves - they need to make a living and driving non-serious buyers all over is a waste of their time - and Isn't and "easy sale" for them - if their buyer isn't serious.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I feel like I need to start getting out and looking at properties (especially with the recent prices increases), and my lack of knowledge about how things work and how I should proceed is getting in the way. Deals fall apart all the time for a lot of reasons. Agents understand that. But when they do happen, and they have worked to spend time showing you houses, learned what you want, etc.... just be fair and see that they aren't cut out of the small fee they actually make from the sale. Because the agent that is actually showing you the house - truly isn't getting near as much as you think. Often they only get about 1/6 of the commissions paid at closing after the desk fees, gas, other expenses, and other charges are deducted from those commissions.

Oh, and if anyone lives in a great condo or 55+ manufactured home community (adequate reserves, nobody coming to blows at board meetings, etc.) in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Englewood, or Venice (or anywhere else you know of) that's lower priced to recommend, please post or send me a direct message.
FYI Many agents down here will show properties in all these areas, so you can use one agent if your looking here.

This post is to talk about the practice and the rule of how agents treat each other when it comes to this situation. I tried to speak to everyone, not just this poster who is trying to understand this practice of claiming the buyer among agents. I hope I expressed that in that manner. My hope is that I don't offend anyone or City__Datarer particularly with my reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte