Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:38 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a home in the Punta Gorda Area.
Please list any information about the area that you can.
Is there nice entertainment?, dining?, night life?, etc. . .
Is there much crime?/
I have heard that it is an elderly area.
Please fill in the blanks.
Thanks,

Old 05-28-2008, 06:33 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I believe the average age in Punta Gorda is around 63. I like the downtown Punta Gorda area there are many nice restaurants and shops to look at. Harpoon Harry's in Fisherman's Village is usually one of the most happening places in town. They usually have bands on the weekends and they have pool tables and video game machines. It's a pretty family friendly atmosphere and it's right on the water.

I would not classify Punta Gorda as a high crime area but like most cities there are nicer areas than others.

Punta Gorda Isles has a lot of retirees. I think the average age in there is around 68.

I'm partial to the older section of town across from Gilchrist Park. There are some beautiful historical homes in that area.

That's all I can think of right now

Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
SoFLGal,

Thanks for the follow up. I have been reading this Message Board for a while, and have seen that you are a real estate agent and seem helpful to those that have questions.

Can you define the Punta Gorda vs. Punta Gorda Isles for me? What are the boundary lines? Also, I have seen people waive off the Deep Creek area, but that may be a part of the Punta Gorda area. Can you tell me what the boundary is for that area?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:09 PM

Deep Creek uses a Punta Gorda address but I always think of it in Port Charlotte because it's before the Punta Gorda bridge. The boundaries are Kings Hwy-I-75-Harborview-Dumont. The 33983 zip code is all Deep Creek.

When you come over the Punta Gorda Bridge(also known as Gilchrist Bridge) everything east of Tamiami Tr/US 41 over by Charlotte High and Sallie Jones Elementary is more of a "high rental area". Everything west of US 41 when you come off the bridge is where the historical homes are located.

OK, Punta Gorda Isles-West Marion St-Colony Point Dr-it goes around to St Andrews South Golf Club-over to Almar Dr and up to Tuscany. It's basically the area of land that sticks out into where the Myakka & Peace Rivers meets. Aqui Esta Dr runs right through the middle of PGI. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice area but maybe not the best choice for a family.

I actually have someone who wants me to list his home next week in PGI, five lots from open water. He wants to be the lowest listing on sailboat water and drop the price $10,000 every week until it sells. He has a ten year old boy and he says he's had enough of the area.

I wanted to add I do have several friends that have younger kids and live in PGI and are quite fond of the area. So I guess to each their own. I think I would be fine living in there with my kids as long as the neighbors weren't too crotchety

Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
We are looking for a home in the Punta Gorda Area.
Please list any information about the area that you can.
Is there nice entertainment?, dining?, night life?, etc. . .
Is there much crime?/
I have heard that it is an elderly area.
Please fill in the blanks.
Thanks,
SoFlGal did a really good job answering what you are asking.

We lived there until this past Oct. We are younger family with little children. It is definitely, hands down, a retirement area. The median age is in the 60s & it is very well known to those who live around there that PG is a retirement area, especially for avid boaters & fishers. We had to move to the area due to job circumstances.

PG is small. You need to go to Fort Myers or Sarasota for any major things. Port Charlotte has the typical chain restaurants & nationwide stores for the necessities. Fisherman's Village is worth a visit or two & Harpoon Harry's is very laid back & nice.

PGI is probably the nicest of the areas. Majority of the homes have canal access and there are a tremendous amount of new condo developments. "Downtown" PG is also in PGI as is Gilchrist Park.

Burnt Store Meadows is in PGI & is a nice area though home prices still have a way to fall there. Also, it has no trees. Literally. That part got hit very hard by the hurricane & foliage is brand new if there is any.

But, as SoFlGal said & I COMPLETElY agree, not the place for a family. I could go on & on why but think that two people saying it should suffice instead of my rambling.

Deep Creek is ok but it is mostly for those who want affordable housing with a PG zip code instead of a Port Charlotte zip code. DC is over the bridge & is a mix of 80/90 homes with brand new homes. It's large & sterile with some ridiculous deed restrictions. No sidewalks & one very small play park that is smack dab in the middle of an open field with direct sunlight.

Deep Creek is probably the area with the younger families. Deep Creek Elementary is not a bad school but it is not impressive, either. There are some great, great deals there right now but it is also an area you really, really really need to know & WANT to live in. Once you buy a house in DC, you may be stuck with it for quite a long time. Tremendous amount of homes for sale backed with a stagnant job market. There are kids there, but you'd have to drive them to other kids homes b/c the lack of sidewalks & there are many busy streets & intersections in the area. I guess a good thing is SuperWalMart is like 10 mins away in case you need something asap. Everything else will take some driving to.

So, to generalize
PGI: bigger, nicer homes but primarily snow bird/retiree
Deep Creek: affordable but has some serious issues in regards to empty homes, deed restrictions, crime issues (petty car break ins by bored teenagers, etc)
As SoFlGal said, most see it as part of Port Charlotte. If you look at it on a map, it should really be part of PC but for some reason is not.
Punta Gorda: areas to definitely avoid (Cooper St/MLK/area around the hospital). Older area in terms of housing.

I will say that the Publix in PGI off of 41 & Pompano is the best grocery store I've ever been to & there is a mom & pop pizza place in that plaza that just rocks.
SoFlGal- I probably just resaid what you did

Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I think I would be fine living in there with my kids as long as the neighbors weren't too crotchety
That's a bold request for PG, unfortunately. And the schools...Good Shephard is about it & even that is questionable when it comes to middle school.

Some beautiful homes with great canal access. Too bad the neighbor's personalities aren't as nice

Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM

121804 gave great details about Punta Gorda--very nice post.

Big House-Could you tell us exactly what kind of area you are looking for and then maybe some of us could give some suggestions? You never actually indicated if you have kids or not. Is a kid friendly neighborhood important to you? You were asking about nite life.. I would have to agree with 121804 on their suggestion. If this is important to be really close to more things to do, I would look more toward Sarasota or Ft Myers (I'm partial to Sarasota). It's where I grew up. Are you going to be a full time resident? If you are and you have kids then you need to consider what school district you are in.

If I don't answer for a few days, I'm not ignoring you, I'll be out of town until Tuesday.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 05-28-2008 at 08:19 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
That's a bold request for PG, unfortunately. And the schools...Good Shephard is about it & even that is questionable when it comes to middle school.

Some beautiful homes with great canal access. Too bad the neighbor's personalities aren't as nice
I had to laugh at this post but it's true. I moved up to Sarasota county to get away from the Charlotte county schools system. I would have to agree with you here too-the schools are yuck, yuck, yuck-IMO. Many of my friends that live in Charlotte County send their kids to Charlotte Academy, which is pretty pricey.

Another thing that people are doing is owning a home in Charlotte county and renting a really cheap home in North Port and having their kids attend Pine View School. They just need a Sarasota County address to give to the school.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
How can the median age be in the 60's...when the median age of the people WORKING in Charlotte Country ranges from 25to 45? Are you saying that everyone who WORKS in PG commutes there from somewhere else?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 AM

Charlotte county encompasses Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda and part of Englewood. I would say there are more working class in Port Charlotte than any other areas of Charlotte County. There aren't too many places to work in Punta Gorda. Harpoon Harry's-a few golf courses, the small downtown area, a Home Depot, a few fast food restaurants, a few grocery stores, some medical buildings and a small hospital. That's about it.

Yes, I would guess that many of the people that work in Punta Gorda travel from other areas. Everyone I know that works in Punta Gorda lives in Port Charlotte or North Port. Most can't afford to live in a place like PGI and work in Punta Gorda. Oddly enough, I know that many people that live in PG work in Ft. Myers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte