Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a builder for an addition of roughly 450 sq ft. ( Port Charlotte )We've received one detailed estimate and one vague estimate. Can anyone recommend a reliable builder for us to compare?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 PM

182 posts, read 1,000,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
We're looking for a builder for an addition of roughly 450 sq ft. ( Port Charlotte )We've received one detailed estimate and one vague estimate. Can anyone recommend a reliable builder for us to compare?

Thank you
Stout Homes does wonderful work.
I know first hand. The guy running Stout Homes is
very particular in everything having to be just so.
No sloppy work with these guys.

3720 Teate Dr
Sarasota, FL 34232
(941) 379-8900

Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 AM

Thank you. A slight change of plans. We were going to buy a house here which we would have required an addition built on to it. Houses are on sewer and not septic which is a plus to us.

My Wife walked in the back yard and saw water laying there among the felled trees etc and called me to take a look. I did and I passed a wisecrack that the government, being the way they are would call it a wetlands and not allow fill and therefore stop any building on it. The original builder of the house was called who apparently has been here more than 15 years and he said "no way, it's do able, no problem, then went and called zoning who confirmed, no problemo".

Meanwhile the "environmental engineer" called today and said it's "definitely wetlands" and that there's no way we're building on that land. That MAYBE it could be overcome but it would be a loooong drawn out process with the DEP being involved, potentially going all the way to litigation.

Litigation? I'm not a lawyer but I do know a little about litigation and that's one thing we should all strive to AVOID in life. It certainly isn't worth it for a house.

So we've now called that builder and asked what a similr house would cost to build, on 2 lots in the area we are interested in, and assuming we can get it done for no more than 50K or so more than what it would have cost us to buy this house along with all the renovations, we will look to do that. I believe we can, no problem.

However this should be a lesson to everyone. If you see standing water on a property here, ASK QUESTIONS. Had we bought this house and land and then found out we could not build, and believe me, building the addition on that house was an absolute necessity, there would have been litigation , for sure because we would have been cheated out of a lot of money.

And who wants that?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaclady View Post

3720 Teate Dr
Sarasota, FL 34232
(941) 379-8900
Thanks Lilaclady!

That's a neat smiley

Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM

182 posts, read 1,000,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Thanks Lilaclady!

That's a neat smiley
This guy has done a lot of work with the company I work for and I haven't heard any complaints.
I hope you can consider trying him someday. At least get an estimate.

I use smiley central so I have em all

Good Luck to you. Port Charlotte is finally getting back on it's feet after the hurricane ripped through there in 2004'

Read my blog if you like. It may make you laugh.
The one titled Positive Thinking.
I'm not one to listen to negativity myself.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:08 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
When I remodeled my home after Charlie I worked as an owner builder. I used a general contractor who is a fantastic carpenter. He did the truss work, set windows, doors, as well as all the interior framing. His name is Wayne Wacky. You can get his name from the Charlotte County list of contractors online.
He works from sun up to sun down. I caught my neighbor (a structural engineer) staring at Wayne while he set the trusses. I asked Ron what the deal was. He said that he had never seen anyone take as much care setting trusses. Ron's picky.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,730 times
Default Needed zoning advice Port Charlotte Fl.

We are owner of a park model home in Florida (Port Charlotte). Three years ago, we modified our lanai.......without permit. (We didn't kown that we needed one to remodel it.... almost 100 owners did the same without it and without a problem) We had a anonymous complaint and the inspector came in and told us to get a permit to finish the job. When we arrived at the building departement we pay for the application, but they refused the permit because of the zonage. The park said that they can't do anything about this problem.
Since, the reglementation change with the changing staff, every time that we go at the building office. They can't tell us what we have to do to be in rules. They never mailed us a legal letter telling us what to do... All we find is the summary of the meeting on internet. We are afraid to have a obligation to
tear it down (12,000$)..... what can we do?

Last edited by Robhel; 02-25-2009 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Port Charlotte Florida

Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 PM

383 posts, read 1,023,870 times
Hey Robhel, just a bit of advice. You should start your own thread with that question, because more people will see it as a thread starter, than they will just adding it on to this one .

Old 02-28-2009, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,730 times
Thanks to take a little bit of time for the answer...... but i can't resolve anything with it... that's what i have to understand? is it better to take a lawyer to help us? Who can be the best for that kind of advice in Charlotte?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaclady View Post

3720 Teate Dr
Sarasota, FL 34232
(941) 379-8900

Hey lilaclady!
Where have you been? I've missed seeing you lately! I hope to see you more here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte