U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 12:28 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,859,015 times

Advertisements

So, I took the kids over to Gilchrist Park today to have a picnic and we decided to walk down the seawall. All of a sudden we see these two dolphins playing and catching fish right next to us. It looked like they were chasing the mullet into the shallow waters. Kinda cool to see them that close

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:40 PM

6,103 posts, read 14,378,581 times
Wow! Cool pictures - they were really close! We took our boat out with my daughter. It is her last day, so we had a good time. We went in and checked out Ponce De Leon Park, and the inlet and canals over on that side of PGI. They have some long long long canals over there. We just got back and about to leave for the airport after we give 'em all a snack.

It was a beautiful day for a picnic! Nice, Sunny, a little breezy, and warm!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:26 PM

8,666 posts, read 20,325,812 times
Great photos! Thanks for adding to our forum.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-07-2009, 09:26 PM

190 posts, read 735,634 times
aw so cool....what happened to the dorsal fin...it looks all chewed up, boat rudders maybe? Was that area like along a canal or something like that...the water looks brown. Thanks for posting the pictures...love that.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:29 PM

10,756 posts, read 34,213,672 times
Just one more reason I love living in Florida.
I saw more then a few when I was in Sanibel but not that close to us. I love to watch them frolick.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 PM

14,268 posts, read 17,976,336 times
Thanks for the great pictures.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:51 AM

3,642 posts, read 6,718,636 times
looks like you had a great time Shannon. Big House - keep that boat ready for when we come back -looking forward to sailing the Seven seas !! (well one anyways )

Old 03-08-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
looks like you had a great time Shannon. Big House - keep that boat ready for when we come back -looking forward to sailing the Seven seas !! (well one anyways )
Last night, three dolphins were chasing mullet in our canal. They had them penned up under a pier three doors down, while two held them at bay, the other one would run through and catch one. They'd herd them back and repeat the process. They stayed there for almost 15 minutes repeating the process - it was amazing to watch. I noticed them when I went out to the lanai to eat dinner last night. They started at my house then move quickly down the canal - it was obstructed view, so I couldn't get any good pictures - sorry :-(

Hey Mr. Sunshine - I haven't done hardly any fishing because I have been too busy. I'm hoping that the schedule will relax a bit after this week. The past two weeks have been way too busy!! We will definitely go out when you come down.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,859,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
aw so cool....what happened to the dorsal fin...it looks all chewed up, boat rudders maybe? Was that area like along a canal or something like that...the water looks brown. Thanks for posting the pictures...love that.
It actually looked like some kind of fungus or something on his fin. It almost seemed if he was trying to scratch his fin on the barnacles on the seawall. The water was kind of brown. This was right where many of the canals dump into the harbor. Many of the trees drop their leaves into the water turning it a brownish color, kinda like tea.

The gulf is much clearer and greenish blue.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 03-08-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Old 03-08-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
It actually looked like some kind of fungus or something on his fin. It almost seemed if he was trying to scratch his fin on the barnacles on the seawall. The water was kind of brown. This was right where many of the canals dump into the harbor. Many for the trees drop their leaves into the water turning it a brownish color, kinda like tea.

The gulf is much clearer and greenish blue.
The canals are a tea color, but still pretty clear. We went out in the harbor, and the further South and West you head the bluer and greener it gets! It was a really nice day yesterday - 82 degrees. After we got home we took my daughter to the air port, and then went for a really nice bike ride. We checked out a couple parks near by. When we got home some dolphins were feeding in the canal - chasing and penning up mullet! It was fascinating to watch. I've seen the barnacle covered dolphin before, the ones that were feeding were all younger, and did not have any barnacles on them. The view was obstructed so I couldn't get any good pictures. Sorry - :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte