Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:00 AM

301 posts, read 1,154,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
How do you pronounce it?

I was surprised when I came down here to hear the newscasters say "Punta" like "pun-ta". I would think it should be pronounced like the Spanish do as "****-ta".
The numerous times we've been there we've hear both "Pun-ta" and "****-ta". Not sure if there is a "correct" way to say it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 AM

181 posts, read 453,563 times
Wink JUST what Punta Gorda needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
I guess we will be a positive statistic to your post! We are an early 30s couple with our first child on the way and we are moving to PG early next year if our house deal goes through (thank you SWFL GAL). We've done the big city life and can't wait to spend our free time boating year round which is our passion! Wonder if we can find trustworthy neighbors to babysit while we go enjoy friends & cocktails at Harpoon Harry's for an evening!?!?!? haha. Can't wait! Screw the snow!!!!!
Thanks for this positive contribution! And this is exactly what I believe is happening; more younger people are moving to Punta Gorda! I am in my early 40's, and a good friend of mine and his wife in their 30's just heard their offer was accepted at Deep Creek Gardens, PUNTA GORDA!(Whether PG or not depends only on how you wish to see it, fact is, it officially has a PG zip code).

Other comments made by posters are true. There are a lot of retired people in PG, but: There are many places you can drive to to have fun and return to the quiete and safe small town feel that PG offers. Although all posters have very valuable contributions, it is important to offer balanced opinions, especially in the light of so many accessing this website for information.

I spoke to a good real estate friend of mine in Punta Gorda and she commented on 28 April 2009: Quote: "business is picking up which is soooooooooo verrrrrrrrrrrry goooooooooood for my budget!!!"

The more we can encourage younger people to move to Punta Gorda, the more it will change... I really believe that with the upswing of the real estate market to come, more younger families are going to move to PG. Viva a young hearted and viby Punta Gorda!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 AM

181 posts, read 453,563 times
Default Punta Gorda: The Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Vegas, what a neat post. I'm just curious how you know so much about Punta Gorda since you really are posting from South Africa. Could you enlighten us and clear up the confusion?
Thanks for your kind words. I won't say I know more about Punta Gorda than most of the posters here. I have been using this website as one of many other tools to do some research as I am hooked on property investment as a means to create wealth for my family, since I grew up very poor, and had to support myself since the age of 16. This, just as a matter of interest.

I am not an estate agent, and I have no reason to market Punta Gorda or Florida.

I have been studying and researching a few states intensely since 1995, and have traveled the US extensively since then. I have visited Florida ample times as well, enough to make up my mind where the right place FOR ME is to buy for MY circumstances AT THIS STAGE of my life en route to my future vision. There are many other places I would (and still will) buy property, but for now, this is where I have to be on my journey.

I am not oblivious to the many challenges some people are facing, especially so many feeling stuck with no way out, but as Mr. Buffet said on CNN, it WILL change, and for the better.

My humble opinion, learnt from other property mentors, is that the US market is now in it's Depression stage (which can be seen by many of the posts on this forum), as it has already gone through Anxiety, Denial, Fear, Desperation, Panic, Capitulation and Despondency.

The good news is that the next stage after Depression is Hope, followed by Relief, then OPTIMISM, and the whole cycle repeats itself again, like it has done for ages. How did I buy the few properties I have? By trying my utmost best to remain positive when others were depressed, even in times when I tended to almost agree with the masses. It helps you to see what others do not see, and to do what others then don't do. We all know too well the "you know, I could have bought that property for as little as so much a year or two ago.." conversations, usually in the stages following OPTIMISM: Excitement, Thrill, and Euphoria.

If I had lived in Punta Gorda or the rest of Florida, or the US for that matter, for many years like some posters, I may perhaps have felt the same as them, I don't know. That is exactly why I have decided years ago to travel as often as I can.... yes I (we) can... If you can perceive it and believe it, you can achieve it!

Last edited by vegasboy; 05-03-2009 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 05-04-2009, 05:45 AM

55 posts, read 167,802 times
What is the downside to Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte/Deep Creek areas? I've been leery of FL because of (now don't laugh) creepy crawlies, bugs, snakes and so forth; and chemical sprays in the house and yard/garden. Do they spray with things that don't hurt pets and people?

The area was hard hit by hurricane Charley, and I wonder about the rehabbed properties; if they were properly rehabbed or just slapped back together.

What should one be careful of? and how is the crime in those areas?

Also where would there be some nice mfd. home communities with amenities? Not necessarily gated, but safe and well maintained and not backing up to a four-lane.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:47 AM

Also important: has the homeowner's insurance skyrocketed, or what to expect to pay?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyWNC View Post
What is the downside to Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte/Deep Creek areas? I've been leery of FL because of (now don't laugh) creepy crawlies, bugs, snakes and so forth; and chemical sprays in the house and yard/garden. Do they spray with things that don't hurt pets and people?

The area was hard hit by hurricane Charley, and I wonder about the rehabbed properties; if they were properly rehabbed or just slapped back together.

What should one be careful of? and how is the crime in those areas?

Also where would there be some nice mfd. home communities with amenities? Not necessarily gated, but safe and well maintained and not backing up to a four-lane.
I think many people have a fear of "natural Florida". Life is abundant. Many of the creepy crawlies have natural controls, I'm speaking of herons, egrets, owls, anoles (little lizards). Most pest control is done using relatively benign chemicals like boric acid or permethrin, a synthetic form of an insecticide derived from the chrysanthemum flower.

As far as how were things rebuilt after charlie; I think that there were a number of homes that were put back together at a minimal level. The county did a lot of code enforcement, and required that contractors were licensed. I witnessed some people doing what they could to by-pass the permit process. That said, most people went the other way. After seeing first hand what the eye of a powerful hurricane was capable of, many people went to extremes to rebuild so that they would do much better if it ever happened again.
Before purchasing a house you can check the permit history online, as well as view post charlie aerial photos on the county GIS site.

As far as insurance, the rates have adjusted upwards, I don't know it I say they skyrocketed. It is possible to be smart about purchasing a house to minimize your insurance costs. By staying outside of a FEMA flood zone, you can eliminate the flood insurance component of your insurance bill. Buying a newer home you can lower insurance costs. Even an older home that has had updates to mitigate storm impacts can see lower rates. Things to look for in older housing; storm shutters, hip roof, clips or straps on the truss tiedowns, secondary water shield membrane. Roof clips alone will reduce the wind component of your insurance by $420.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Excellent information Bob, and greatly appreciated. I will do some research on the area, cost of living etc.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,306 times
Hi there. I am looking to move to florida and was looking for an area that is affordable. I was thinking maybe ft myers. I also needed to get an idea for average utility cost there. My house here has to sell first but I would love to move before the summer, God willing. Any info you can afford me would be deeply appreciated.
Thank you.
Valerie

Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Hi Valerie,
Read the FAQs on the top of the list of threads. Then start a new thread with the specifics of your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte