U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 AM

181 posts, read 438,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
That's AWESOME seeing that there are only TWO cities in Charlotte County. And Port Charlotte isn't even technically a "city". So, Charlotte County awarded something to the only city in the county.

I'd love to see people move to PG also. It's called JOBS, Vagasboy...not construction jobs, but REAL jobs. And that is the one thing it DOES NOT have. Thus, Warren Buffet & you can sing a song & dance a dance...until there are jobs that can support a family, the place is still destined to be a haven for retirees & snowbirds who have no need....
Quote "...Tourism is one of Charlotte County’s strongest revenue producers, providing an “imported” source of funds for the Charlotte economy. Tourism supports over 6,000 JOBS, generates sales tax revenues of nearly $19 million and produces over $300,500,000 in total expenditures. Nearly 300,000 visitors travel to Charlotte County annually...."

So hey, let's award all these negative posters who are using city-data as a vehicle to chase tourists and FN investors away by their rude, bitter and negative statements and attitude, and see where it takes us....

Last edited by vegasboy; 05-18-2009 at 10:11 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 AM

22,583 posts, read 52,044,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasboy View Post
Quote "...Tourism is one of Charlotte County’s strongest revenue producers, providing an “imported” source of funds for the Charlotte economy. Tourism supports over 6,000 JOBS, generates sales tax revenues of nearly $19 million and produces over $300,500,000 in total expenditures. Nearly 300,000 visitors travel to Charlotte County annually...."

So hey, let's award all these negative posters who are using city-data as a vehicle to chase tourists and FN investors away by their rude, bitter and negative statements and attitude, and see where it takes us....

You made your money off of real estate in Capetown but you will not snooker my fellow Americans or honest foreigners for that matter.

Punta Gorda does not have well-paying jobs for young families. It's why "121804" left and it is my family's reason for relocating up north, too.

March's unemployment rate for Punta Gorda was 11.9 percent. Maybe you should have done better research instead of be-bopping to Rochester, NY, and Orlando, using the kindness of fellow forum members, before settling on the cheap in Punta Gorda. You get what you pay for.

We aren't chasing anyone away. These people already know and your mock "press releases" ring hollow. Do you have any idea what kind of recession the USA is in? And southwest Florida is in particularly bad shape.

The top news headlines on current events from Yahoo! News

Your poor attempts at trying to rally investment will not work because we will counter with the truth.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,948,549 times
Quote:

OK, Vegas--I like you and I think that you mean well with your posts. I see what you are talking about and are trying to do. I like this area and think it's a great area to live. I was born and raised here. I think if you're always posting positive things and talking the area up it looks like you're trying to convince people that it really is a good area.

Not sure how much sense this makes but I think if you tone it down a notch or two you'll get a little farther with your posts. I believe there's a happy medium between what you're saying and what others have posted. There's truth to both sides of the coin. It is a pretty area to live in, the home prices are fantastic but the reality of it is the job market is in the toilet and the foreclosure rate is skyrocketing. Just keepin' it real around here.

Punta Gorda is a great community to fisherman, golfers, etc. Young families-maybe.

Hope this helps and hope you stick around

Last edited by SoFLGal; 05-18-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 AM

2,356 posts, read 4,827,647 times
vegasboy ... be proud of your blue ribbon for having the prettiest pig at the fair.

Last edited by nhkev; 05-18-2009 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
OK, Vegas--I like you and I think that you mean well with your posts. I see what you are talking about and are trying to do. I like this area and think it's a great area to live. I was born and raised here. I think if you're always posting positive things and talking the area up it looks like you're trying to convenience people that it really is a good area.

Not sure how much sense this makes but I think if you tone it down a notch or two you'll get a little farther with your posts. I believe there's a happy medium between what you're saying and what others have posted. There's truth to both sides of the coin. It is a pretty area to live in, the home prices are fantastic but the reality of it is the job market is in the toilet and the foreclosure rate is skyrocketing. Just keepin' it real around here.

Punta Gorda is a great community to fisherman, golfers, etc. Young families-maybe.

Hope this helps and hope you stick around
You are a fabulous agent and person. Great post!

This area is a good fit for some people, it really is, but trying to attract young families is particularly cruel if you actually KNOW the area.

I'll tell the kind of dog I have in this fight.

My husband has a mother, sister and her husband, a niece and nephew, one uncle, three aunts and at least fifteen cousins. All these people come with extended families, too. It's a huge clan and they all live in southwest Florida.

One is facing foreclosure again, after getting the bank to hold off at first, one family was thrown out of their home that they lived in for twenty years when the uncle became ill. All are fighting hunger, bills, poor schools, etc. This family has lived in the area for 25 years.

Our little family? My husband is a highly-skilled auto mechanic but we could see the writing on the wall in 2005. After putting our child in kindergarten for 5 weeks we pulled her out and hauled all we could to Knoxville, Tenn. We lived in a tent for a couple of weeks.

We have thrived up here and I am happy to report that we have lived in our first home for a year!

I do not need someone to give false hope to people or steer them in the wrong direction. I could come on here and talk up the area in the hopes that my husband's family will survive, but it would be wrong and I won't do it.

After 47 years of scratching and crawling to make a living I know a lot about tenacity, honesty and raising a family. Do you know where my husband is, right now? He's in our yard fixing cars and supporting us, because that it the kind of man I have married.

Real estate, right now, is a wonderful investment for the right people in the right place. That area is very good for retirees, fishermen, getting together with older folks for fun. Heck, if you cater to retirees, it is for you, too.

A couple of years ago, a young man said he was going to be an optometrist in the Fort Myers Walmart on Cypress Lake. The place is ground zero for retirees. I told him to hop in his car as fast as he could because he was going to make some money, although he may have to wrestle every last nickle out of his patients!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM

Vegasboy: You sent me a very kind DM and I want to reply but you do not accept DMs!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:45 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,948,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Vegasboy: You sent me a very kind DM and I want to reply but you do not accept DMs!
Yippeee! One big group hug now Ok, move a little closer

Old 05-18-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yippeee! One big group hug now Ok, move a little closer
I love happy endings!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:38 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,145,471 times
One of the frustrating things with cities like PG (b/c there are lots of PG's out there...) is the headshaking moments. A younger person with young children to support can SEE it; can see the good points & the good parts to raise their family. But the reality is that Publix can only hire so many people. It lacks a strong professional base & that is annoying b/c there are some good things there (Fisherman's Village is nice & all, but it's not kid friendly, we all know that nor is the intent of it to be for kids) but to provide for your family is close to impossible.
One of the reasons areas such as PG do ok right now is that it still is very heavily loaded with retirees, snowbirds & tourists. They do play an enormous role in the economics of the city. I remember our realtor telling us that retirees were the reason PG existed.
That's great & all. But if you are in your 20s or 30s & have toddlers...not so great. I didn't appreciate some of the situations we encountered. Did a few bad apples ruin my experience? Yes. But "I" let that happen, so I do take responsibility

Our situation was very unique in nature. Did I just want to up & leave? Not necessarily. We were military & I was sick & tired of moving around, packing, uprooting our lives every few years.

Did I dislike the weather? Intensely. Didn't like it before I moved there either but we had no choice at the time. And the fact of the matter was that bills needed to be paid & it was either staying in the military for another 4yrs or moving to SWFL. With a 1yr old & another on the way & Iraq in the situation it was a few years ago...SWFL did indeed win out

We still have friends there. Some are doing ok. Others not so good.

SWFL is not my thing. But for many, it is. And if my husbands job was stable (we saw the writing on the wall 2 weeks into our move when he had to layoff employees & the nature of how it all went down) , we may have still been there today. I have decided to be a SAHM. So, there is only so much bitching & complaining I can do to him about our geographical location (that is why I release it on the internet!!) after awhile. He works his butt off like your dh Hipknapster & I can only put so many issues on his plate before he starts to get a little annoyed.

SWFL would have potential if professional jobs moved to the area. Professional jobs draw in a younger crowd. Who bring with them family. And the family sends their children to the schools & shops at the grocery stores & uses the public facilities 365 days of the year. And the kids make friends at school and the parents become friends and a network has started. And you don't feel so isolated when the snowbirds move back for the summer or the retirees do their thing b/c it is a VARIED demograhic.

It costs money to raise children. It is not the same as taking care of a boat or buying new golf clubs or having lunch at Harpoon Harry's.

And those who work also deserve to feel some sort of professional respect & dignity about themselves. Working in a varied demograhic allows for that opportunity.

That's great that Fisherman's Village got an award. But it means nothing for a younger family moving there. It is a shopping center with a few restaurants & touristy stores..that is it. Oh, and some rentals on top of the building.

And Punta Gorda is not the only city in the US that is struggling in this manner. There are many cities just as nice if not nicer that cannot get their feet on the ground right now. To sugarcoat it to the point of silliness is a waste of time & may even be harmful to the person who so badly wants to move to SWFL but cannot due to a financial situation. If a person is struggling right now, they are struggling. And the sun does not pay the bills or take away the reality.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,145,471 times
Quote:

Start listing the cities in this WORLD that are based solely on tourism and then find out the AVERAGE income of a person who lives there FULL-TIME & what their "job" is......
There are reasons young people with children don't move to the Bahamas or Bora Bora or the Greek Islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte