U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 36,006,458 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I'd like to share an article with you that is in the AARP magazine. I thought about Bam when I read this. A 74 year old woman named Constance Gittles was in her garden when an alligator bit her. She "whacked him right in the snout" with the nozzle of her garden hose and the 6 foot gator went packing. The lady suffered three punchtures would in her leg. The gator was later found and killed. Is it common to see a gator in your yards down there?
Rate this post positively

Old 07-16-2006, 12:07 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,314,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie
Is it common to see a gator in your yards down there?
Well, it made all the news reports, and the news generally doesn't report things that are common.

It's not common, but it can happen -- especially if you're near a pond, it's mating season, and there has been a drought -- and the reptiles are hungry. If your back yard is a reasonable distance away from water, you'll probably never see a gator.

Here's a picture of Granny. You can see how close the water is, and how low it is compared to the normal level -- the water would normally be up to the grass. The gator most likely was in a nearby body of water, possibly a roadside canal, which dried up. So, the gator would have moved into an area where it would not normally go, just because there was some water there. In a pond in a trailer park like this, however, food for the gator would be pretty scarce. I guess Granny looked tasty.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:55 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,411,261 times
You just have to make sure you aren't too close to the canals, etc.
I think things are starting to sell here in Punta Gorda a bit faster, just to let ya all know! Ah, Punta Gorda!

Punta Gorda's weather today was absolutely gorgeous! It's hot and sunny.
The clouds are white as can be and look like cottonballs in the sky. The pool was wonderfully refreshing too! All the boats were out in the harbor and the fishing was good too. In Gilchrist Park there were many young families enjoying the day too

sunsets in Punta Gorda!

Last edited by Marka; 07-17-2006 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-16-2006, 09:00 PM

13,495 posts, read 36,006,458 times
That's another beautiful pic, Bam. There are some people who think that SD is a cold state year round. Well, we have the worst of both worlds. We can have some very cold and snowy winters, but we also have hot summers. We normally don't have the humidity that Fla. has, but we've been having some hot days. The past few days have been well over 100 here and further west they've been as high as 118. I didn't in any way mean to shed a bad light on Punta Gorda with this story. I just couldn't believe how brave the sweet little old lady wasy to protect her yard that way. I found it quite humorous.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:24 AM

If you want to live in Florida you have to know there are alligators!
That's just the price for paradise LOL

Old 07-17-2006, 09:35 AM

693 posts, read 2,670,748 times
I wouldn't call it "paradise" with all the alligators there

Old 07-17-2006, 09:42 AM

I would! You just have to stay away from the canals and you will have no problems. There are dangerous animals everywhere. Bears in the mountains,
snakes, nasty bugs. If you are an outdoors person an alligator is cool to see in the ponds and canals. Just don't get too close. That old woman was lucky but very stupid to be that close. There are signs posted "alligators present". I have seen vacationers with their children in the Peace River and there are signs posted all over that park to stay out of those waters. You can't blame an alligator if someone is dumb enough to ignore the warning signs and take such a chance like that especially if you are warned

Old 07-17-2006, 10:44 AM

693 posts, read 2,670,748 times
i guess we have a different concept of what "paradise" should be, but that's OK.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:05 AM

So true! Most of the people here shrug off alligators, hurricanes etc. and say "that's the price ya pay to live in Paradise!"
It is a great area and getting better all the time.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:20 PM

Wink Mr. T

Nah, it doesn't bother me in the least. People have to use common sense when they are near the water. Would you jump into the fire if they told ya it was gonna burn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte