Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 PM

35 posts, read 109,967 times

Advertisements

Just a quick note in case anyone was curious.

The weather has turned cold and miserable. I expect my wife to be heading south to visit her sister in Naples and swing up around PC sometime in the next several weeks.

Meanwhile back at the ranch most of the major work has been completed. The stair treads replaced with new oak treads, stairs and floor sanded, stained, and refinished. Mostly just cosmetic work left along with hiding all the brick a brack we've been collecting over the years being hidden so the house looks neat and orderly. That will be a new experience. NOTE TO SELF, DO NOT at anytime in the future schedule to have floors refinished and not be able to get into the house on Dec. 21, 22, and 23. It makes Christmas eve and day real interesting.

Real estate lady is due tomorrow with her market survey and what figures she is thinks will be reasonable both in profit and a reasonable turn around time.

I'm hoping to have the house on the market by mid Jan. but there might be a slight hitch. My wife is hinting that everything is dead and ugly now and maybe we should wait till spring and the roses are out and everything is green and pretty. I can't help wondering if that thought isn't being infulunced by the fact that a work schedule change means she gets to have one of our latest granddaughters all day every Friday.

Damn I miss being out in the boat fishing. On that little item and after doing a bit of research I've pretty well aimed myself to a 20" to 23" bay or flats boat with a vee or semi vee hull. I'd never consider such a low free board boat up here our anywhere past the inner harbor but after looking at some historical records for conditions there if I did have a hankering to go outside of the bay and kept a real good eye on the weather they seem to be and ideal compromise and economical boat. I can't bring myself to consider a flat bottomed skiff type hull being suitable in any kind of open water but if someone has some good arguments for one I'll be happy to listen.

See you all at Frank's
MikeG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:26 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
One day when I was out just tooling around, I saw helicopters, police boats, and coast guard boats all south and west of the Tamiami Trail/Peace River Bridge. Evidently someone had jumped off. I hung around looking with them for a while, but no one found anything, and I kept my eyes pealed on the newspapers to see if there were any reported jumpings. There weren't, but your story reminded me of that day.

Yesterday, I went out fishing with my brother. We went to Boca Grande Pass. There were a total of 5-10 boats there at any one time. We didn't catch any Tarpon, or even see any. But my brother caught a nice 6-7 lb black grouper, which he fillet and had for dinner last night. I was surprised how few boats there were out there!

We went around the corner along the inland waterway after fishing out at the pass earlier, and returned later and that is when we caught the grouper. During an anchoring around one of the islands we caught probably 100 fish! Some puffer fish, but mostly snapper and trout. We threw out a couple of herring and a couple big squid, and had a big one on! Don't know what it was but it streched our boat against the anchor and continually peeled 60# test off one of my reels. I think I made a mistake by tightening the drag a wee bit too much, because it made one hard run and that's when the line broke. A lesson I won't forget! I'd rather let it run off all the line and then break it off, than run off 100 yards and still have 200 yards or more left to go! We had a couple other good size fish, and they also jumped off before we landed them. Oh well there is always tomorrow!
Hey BH. is that the time Mrs. Cool, SoFlGal, and I were in the boat with you? I do rememeber that.. never heard if they found anything, anyway it was a fun day, thanks again. Mr.Cool

Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Hey BH. is that the time Mrs. Cool, SoFlGal, and I were in the boat with you? I do rememeber that.. never heard if they found anything, anyway it was a fun day, thanks again. Mr.Cool
No, it was only a month or so ago that I did that fishing trip with my brother. I took you guys out over a year ago, before you bought your property. Which I think I remember looking at from the boat. It was about the time we saw the dolphin in the canal - remember. That was a fun day! I hope the timing works out so we can meet up again the next time your down. I should be around from right after New Years through to summer sometime. Then you can buy me the drinks and dinner you owe me! Just kidding! I know I owe you!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
DAM THOSE RAVENS!!!! We will meet again in the Super Bowl btw it was the end of Feb. we are heading back during Easter

Old 08-15-2010, 04:17 PM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
We have vacant lots ( JUNGLE ) on two sides and really like the privacy. I do expect to see a monkey swinging through the trees everytime I look out.
Its to bad to see post that trash the area . We love Port Charlotte

Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
We have vacant lots ( JUNGLE ) on two sides and really like the privacy. I do expect to see a monkey swinging through the trees everytime I look out.
Its to bad to see post that trash the area . We love Port Charlotte
Some of the posters like to show their class now and then, and it is really great they are leaving!! It shows that the neighborhood is improving!!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:48 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Some of the posters like to show their class now and then, and it is really great they are leaving!! It shows that the neighborhood is improving!!
I'm pushing the "LIKE" button

Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM

413 posts, read 828,343 times
I also am planing a move to Port Charlotte I purchased a Aquasport 175 osprey center console here in Illinois how will this work out? I s there any where online that you can find a listing of the canals with depths? wondring about Appolo and Markham waterways.

Thanks
Dave

Old 08-29-2010, 07:27 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
I also am planing a move to Port Charlotte I purchased a Aquasport 175 osprey center console here in Illinois how will this work out? I s there any where online that you can find a listing of the canals with depths? wondring about Appolo and Markham waterways.

Thanks
Dave
No, I don't know of anywhere online you can get that. Most of the canals in PC are dredged to 5' and under the bridges are usually a 10' clearance, which will vary depending on tide.

You can pick up a marine map at Fishing Franks, Lashley, etc. but they don't go up into the canals. Your best bet is to call over to Fishin' Franks, they pretty much know the depths of most of the canals.

I had an Aquasport as a kid, nice boat. Most of the guys that run these canals don't have something that draws a lot of water and they don't have a high console.

Look down the canals and see if you see any boats like yours. If you don't, chances are they can't get in there.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post

Thanks
Dave
Knowing the PC and PGI canals very well, I can tell you that most canals are in the 3-6' depth range. Of course a very low or very high tide can change this, but a little center console like yours will never have a problem getting in or out. you only draft maybe 1-1 1/2 ft. You'll be just fine anytime. Bridge clearances in PC range from 6' to 10'. There are maps available with bridge heights, but I've never seen any with water depths in the canals. There really isn't much dredging done here (no $$$ according to the county).
The Apollo and Markham waterways (north of El Jobean) are way "out there" in undeveloped areas. Could be a long, slow boat ride to open water. They appear to have decent depth, according to the satellite maps. Check it out for yourself (in person) though. Ask neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte