Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 37,061 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to Port Charlotte and looking for any helpful information the good and the bad about living there. From what I can find on the web it seems nice but always better to hear from someone that has been there. My hobbies include kayaking, snorkeling, swimming just about anything in or near the water. Where I live now in Davis CA. it is a very bike friendly I actually bike to work everyday, would that be possible in Port Charlotte? And how about the climate very hot and humid I suspect but is that the case even on the coast and is it possible to find affordable rental on or very near the coast?

Any info would be helpful..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 04:56 PM

155 posts, read 473,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahala View Post
I am planning a move to Port Charlotte and looking for any helpful information the good and the bad about living there. From what I can find on the web it seems nice but always better to hear from someone that has been there. My hobbies include kayaking, snorkeling, swimming just about anything in or near the water. Where I live now in Davis CA. it is a very bike friendly I actually bike to work everyday, would that be possible in Port Charlotte? And how about the climate very hot and humid I suspect but is that the case even on the coast and is it possible to find affordable rental on or very near the coast?

Any info would be helpful..

Thanks
Two words.....OLD PEOPLE! Charlotte has a a large number of retirees. It has a very laid back pace though. Also in close proximity to Ft. Myers and Sarasota. Houses are cheaper there also. Maybe someone else has more info. I think 11508 (or whatever her name is) lives in Charlotte County and she can help more.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:24 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
There are three places you may want to research: Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte & North Port.

Depending on where you will be working will depend if you can bike. Port Charlotte is a wide diversity, both bad & good. I was at the mall last week & was there during lunch time. The Port Charlotte High School is across the street & the food court area was packed with students. I have to say overall, typical kids. I wasn't shocked or concerned. We have found an area in Port Charlotte that we like & really researching it. We are a younger family w/ a child. I need to see families & we see many were we are looking. Lots of age groups. You just have to spend the time walking around, talking to people, & researching the area.

I am not so sure about the4 kayaking but I know that there is some place around Punta Gorda that is only accessible by boat that is suppose to be really cool & maybe one can snorkel there. I am not sure. This area is not going to be as biker-friendly as you are use to...sorry. If you are a UC student, the area may take you back a little. But just give it time. It truly has some things that are worth it. There are a lot of parks in Port Charlotte & Punta Gorda. You may enjoy biking along the harbor in Punta Gorda. There is always something going on along the harbor on the weekends.

There are a ton of rentals along the Charlotte Harbor in Punta Gorda & Port Charlotte. A ton. All are condos. Prices range from $1050-$1800. Depends on what you want.

I recommend calling a realtor & trying to get some info on renting a condo. There are some good realtors out there that will try to get you a decent rental & not force you to buy [but they will try ]

It's ok here. Wide diversity but DEFINITELY be ready to see retirees. I would say there are many more families & retirees in the area than young people. Port Charlotte is not really the place to go to on a Friday night Weather is typical Florida. Humid & sticky for next coming months. Overall, I feel safe. The cost of living in this part of SW FL is not so out of control as some other areas. It is not great but it is livable.

I know very little about North Port expect that it is smaller than Port Charlotte & not as developed yet. It is just north of Port Charlotte & about 30 mins from Sarasota.

Last edited by 121804; 05-10-2007 at 09:38 PM..

Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,615 times
Good News: Port Charlotte is a good place for water related activities. Its on the Peace River and boating and fishing are prime past times. Just a short drive(20 minutes or so) will get you to the gulf beaches of Englewood or Boca Grand for swimming and snorkeling.

You can likely find something nice to live on or near the water but it is more likely to be on a canal or the river than say the coast, if you want something on the coast try Englewood, Florida. As for affordability that all depends on what you consider affordable. I couldn't afford anything on the water.

Culturally, there is a small theater with plays and other shows at the Charlotte County Cultural Center. The Cultural Center also has year round classes on subject such as pottery, mosaic, painting, sewing, dance, computers etc. There are a few art Galleries across the river in Punta Gorda. There is live music at the park on Thursday nights

Bad News: Biking is not so great. Most neighborhoods don't have bike lanes. Taking a bike across highway 41(main business corridor) is dangerous. Many of the older residents on the road make biking on Port Charlotte roads rather dangerous.

Yes the weather is hot and humid in the summer, part of the spring, and a bit into the fall. Right now most of Florida is in major drought conditions, Port Charlotte included.

Jobs don't pay well, very low wages. Mostly service industry jobs...retail, food service, etc. Hardly any public transportation so a car is a must. I agree with a previous poster, not a good place to go out to on a Friday night.

pc

Old 05-10-2007, 11:09 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Port Charlotte is a great deal financially, considering costs in Sarasota to the north and Lee cnty to the South.

And old people leave eventually as evidenced in Miami Beach not so long ago.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Port Charlotte is a great deal financially, considering costs in Sarasota to the north and Lee cnty to the South.

And old people leave eventually as evidenced in Miami Beach not so long ago.
Ya in a why I feel bad when that happens. Old people find all the good spots first and then are forced out by the onsluaght of new residents.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:21 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inftmyers View Post
Ya in a why I feel bad when that happens. Old people find all the good spots first and then are forced out by the onsluaght of new residents.
That's not what I meant by leaving

Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
That's not what I meant by leaving
Oh, I feel stupid

Old 05-12-2007, 01:06 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,018 times
I live in Englewood/Rotonda West (NW Charlotte County) and work in Port Charlotte. I am a teacher in my 30's with 4 young children. There are families here along with older retirees. I live in a subdivision, Pine Valley in Rotonda West where lots of people bike and walk. They have "bike to beach groups" and bike paths, but would not consider the main roads in Charlotte County very safe for biking. Too many speeders!

Many of my neighbors are seasonal, British residents and many of my new neighbors are families. We have the best schools in Charlotte County in Rotonda and the neighborhood is safe, quiet except for current building activity, and we are close to the beaches in Boca Grande and Manasota Key and lots of golf courses (a new one in my neighborhood is going up right now).

I would look at all that Charlotte and Sarasota counties have to offer and then where you are working before settling on a place. There are plenty of properties to buy and rent.

Englewood is betting on families and has been building parks, a YMCA, a new library is coming, hurricane access roads to I-75, and a new "high-tech" high school campus is just getting started.

It is expensive here, prices of homes are coming down, but taxes and insurance are going up!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:45 PM
nsj

2 posts, read 8,047 times
I would recommend visiting Port Charlotte and southwest Florida first to see what you think of it before moving here. I moved to Port Charlotte from Northern California over a year ago and was real suprised at how different it was, the job market is much more limited and not much to do in the area unless you're into fishing, boating, etc. It is mainly retirees and families here so very relaxed and quiet. The heat and humidity takes some time to get used to also compared to Northern California, mainly in the summer. Definitely check it out a little more before moving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte