Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 AM

423 posts, read 1,642,548 times

Advertisements

I have a friend thinking of opening some small business in a new strip mall on Burnt Store Rd area... i think it is called Turtle Crossin Plaza. I live in Fort Lauderdale and never been to Punta so thought to ask some locals about the demographics, household density and traffic count around there. A friend of mine from Cape Coral told me Lennar was planning to put a big Golf course community on the same road but due to economic slow down the project didn't sell much and may even have been scrapped all together. Any/all input would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 04:58 PM

55 posts, read 235,345 times
We live basically across the street from Turtle crossing in Burnt Store Lakes. The Lennar community you were referring to was "Tern Bay", a beautiful gated community that went under construction in 2006. It collapsed with the housing market and went under in 2007. Basically it is a graveyard of new homes and condos with no one living there. As far as Burnt Store Road.......it is a MAJOR road with a ton of traffic heading out of Cape Coral and Punta Gorda. We used to eat at an Italian Deli that was in Turtle Crossing that had fantastic food, but only last under a year before they went out of business. There is also a small convenience store and coffee shop in there now. I guess it depends entirely on what kind of business he is considering opening on whether it will be succussfel and a good location. There are several neighboring communities of a good size in the area..........but it sits a little far from Punta Gorda (City Limits) and Cape Coral........about 10 miles from both where the higher populations area. Hope that helps.....

Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM

917 posts, read 2,614,476 times
I'm sure the op is long gone, but since I drive past this building all the time I'll add my two cents.

I see two problems with Turtle Crossing. Due to the way the building is constructed there is no way for a business to have a sign over their store that can be seen from the street. The only sign drivers see when driving by is the relatively small main sign that lists all the business's.

The second problem is that the front parking lot always looks empty like there's nothing going on. I just realized the other day that there were a lot of cars parked around back in a lot behind the building. These probably belong to employees, but if some of them would park out front the place wouldn't seem so dead.

Google street view

Google aerial

Redfish, Tern Bay is the one with the unfinished gate house, right?

Is it really unoccupied? I drove past the barriers the other day and saw an older couple taking a walk.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Well I will second that opinon about the signs!! Without having advertisement.......it's impossible to draw in customers, the reason I didn't know that great Italian Deli was in there last year. Actually, Tern Bay is not completely unoccupied. All of the residents (20 or so last year) were offered homes in a similar Lennar Community several months ago in Bonita Springs. I believe all but 7 accepted, so out of all of those completed homes / condos in there I believe there are 7 families left in there. It's a shame i used to love golfing there........what a nice course that was.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:36 AM

When driving on Burnt Store you really want to keep your eyes on the road. People can't be studying the building or trying to read that little sign. I'll have to check out that deli next time I'm over there.

Thanks for the info on Tern Bay. It must be like a ghost town back in there. That explains all the no trespassing warnings.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Actually don't bother with the Deli..........they went out of business about 2 months ago because no one knew they were there. A real shame.......but like you said no one can read those tiny signs driving down such a dangerous road...........

Old 02-06-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish353 View Post
Actually don't bother with the Deli..........they went out of business about 2 months ago because no one knew they were there. A real shame.......but like you said no one can read those tiny signs driving down such a dangerous road...........
So whats left? The used book store?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Actually, there's a new pet grooming place called Yappyland, the used book place, a coffee place, and the tiny "Emm & Emm's" convience store is still there. I think that the US Census is also renting a unit for a while out of there.........

Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 AM

206 posts, read 449,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish353 View Post
Why is it such a dangerous road? Cause it isn't 4 lanes? or 6? Gosh unless your on an interstate around here in NY most are 2 lane roads.

I know it's kinda creepy when people pass on a 2 lane road I guess I'm just used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte