Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:06 AM

41 posts, read 305,330 times

Advertisements

Hi,
This is our first summer in Punta Gorda. Up north (NJ) we lived by the beach and weren't subjected to many allergents. My question: When is allergy season down here? My husband and I have been plauged with itchy eyes, sniffles etc. for the past week. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I got horrible allergies, the first in my life, in late January/early February.
It was pine pollen.
Claritin did the trick for me--I got relief within about 5 days, and the allergies never returned. But I am up in coastal north Florida--I don't know what your situation might be.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:14 AM

41 posts, read 305,330 times
Default RE: Allergies

Hi,
Thanks for the responce. We have a TON of pine trees in our neighborhood. I wasn't sure if it's just us or not...we've never been down this way for a summer.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:06 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL80 View Post
Hi,
This is our first summer in Punta Gorda. Up north (NJ) we lived by the beach and weren't subjected to many allergents. My question: When is allergy season down here? My husband and I have been plauged with itchy eyes, sniffles etc. for the past week. Any help is appreciated.
I developed adult allergies a few years ago for some reason. The allergy season in Florida is year round for the most part. But less so in the rainy season (Mid-May to October) because the rain helps keep some air born stuff down, but the rain brings mold however. Up north my allergist says the winter helps allergy suffers. But in florida there is always something in bloom year round from grasses, to fruit trees to flowers or mold.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:01 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I developed adult allergies a few years ago for some reason. The allergy season in Florida is year round for the most part. But less so in the rainy season (Mid-May to October) because the rain helps keep some air born stuff down, but the rain brings mold however. Up north my allergist says the winter helps allergy suffers. But in florida there is always something in bloom year round from grasses, to fruit trees to flowers or mold.

Oh, I agree it's year round, just worse some times than others. Springtime is really bad with all the different pollens coming alive! I stay on 2 prescription meds year round -- and about 2-3 weeks ago I added a Benadryl in between times. Pine and oak nearly do me in!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
I had a miserable childhood because of allergies ( In New Jersey ). They all disappeared when I moved to S Fla.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:44 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
My allergist said when you go on vacation, you usually will not have your allergy issues that you have at home. As the things that bother you at home are most likely not were you are on vacation. She also said that when I move, for a while I will most like have no allergy issues when I leave the state. But that over time most allergy sufferers develop new allergies in the new city they have moved too.

I have three meds year round, but really don't use them all year I just keep them around just incase I need them. Did the shots for three years, I think it helped a little. The best thing is I have learned is to keep the house clean, use great air filters on the a/c which we change each month and try to avoid being outside when people are mowing the grass. I do some other things that have helped to keep me from using the meds as much. So not to bad anymore, before the shots if I walked into like a Pottery Barn or a store with lots of scents, my noise would run like I was sick with a cold. But I am much better now.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL80 View Post
Hi,
When is allergy season down here?

ALWAYS!! Between pollens, mold and mildew a sinus headache and stuffiness can pop up at any time.

I've noticed as well that when the temperatures fluctuate- get cool, then warm again the pollen gets worse for a while.

Where at the Jersey Shore? I spent many a summer growing up and as a young adult in Wildwood! Mom still has a house there.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:38 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
I had a miserable childhood because of allergies ( In New Jersey ). They all disappeared when I moved to S Fla.
It's funny you should mention that. A friend of mine took her two allergy-plagued children to Fla. last summer and was amazed that they needed no meds down there. The closer they got to home, the more they were asking for their meds.

Something has been going on up here, too. People who've never had allergies before now have them and the ones already plagued with it are really suffering now.

Personally, I've rarely had a problem with it until last autumn and now this spring. When we went to SC, I was SO miserable because of allergies. Even though I've never lived in Fla., I don't seem to have a bit of trouble with it there. Guess it just depends on what plant or tree bothers us.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:38 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Even though I've never lived in Fla., I don't seem to have a bit of trouble with it there. Guess it just depends on what plant or tree bothers us.

Come on down, Jammie! You can join the rest of us with our stopped up or draining nasal passages, sneezes, coughs, headaches, itchy/watery eyes... Sounds great, huh? The older I get, the worse my allergies get. I grew up in TN and never had a problem. Didn't even have too many problems here until I was around 40ish. And it's gone downhill from there.

But I love my trees and all the green in Florida, so I guess I'll just deal with it. No wonder I love Thanksgiving so much...it's not quite so bad around then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte