U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 15,241 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are looking to purchase a property in PC, but do not really know what areas to avoid. We saw a home on a beautiful street, but saw some nasty homes just a couple of streets away. Your advise is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 03:54 PM

193 posts, read 471,767 times
South of US 41, very nice near Edgewater Dr. heading West, lots of waterfront homes REAL cheap right now. Stay away from Murdock Cr.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:03 PM

our realtor is showing us a house in the "New York" area of Port Charlotte. The street that the property is on is beautiful, but we saw some homes without pride of ownership couple streets away (Easy St./ Olean???)...The home that we are looking at is on Mamaroneck, don't know if anyone has any input on this... Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:33 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,352,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agape View Post
our realtor is showing us a house in the "New York" area of Port Charlotte. The street that the property is on is beautiful, but we saw some homes without pride of ownership couple streets away (Easy St./ Olean???)...The home that we are looking at is on Mamaroneck, don't know if anyone has any input on this... Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
It seems to be a common trait among many of these people in SW Fla. I do not know why but it's one reason we have been looking elsewhere to buy. Just so you don't get the wrong idea, we think that PC is a great value in comparison to punta gorda and further south or northport and sarasota to the north.

We bought this house when we returned to the US after a multi-year sojourn overseas.

Now we would like to buy something larger and unless the prices here were to fall another 25% or so, we have no interest in buying a larger house in port charlotte. I'm totally unimpressed with sarasota to the north and ft myers to the south, hence we were looking outside of S Fla completely.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,102,907 times
We've been in Punta Gorda for about 4 months & were initally interested in either Punta Gorda or Port Charlotte. There are some good deals out there especially in Port Charlotte. As some posters mentioned, the areas directly off of 41 are nasty; especially Midway Ave, Olean, & Murdock Circle area. Just traffic in general in that area is a pain & the mix of retiree drivers & non-helmet motorcyclists makes me too nervous.

The "New York" section & Section 15 are more of the nicer. We were looking right around Peachland Ave due to its location to 75 & grocery/gas. There are still a great deal of new construction homes being built. We also saw some nice homes right near North Port but overall the area was too desolate for our taste.

But, like the above poster said, we are not all that impressed with Port Charlotte & see more issues than we care to invest in at this time. We just finished up a career with the military & Port Charlotte reminds us of a military town without the military.

There are great homes mixed in with some really questionable "characters" shall we say... Also, we have a young child & one on the way, so education is starting to become the #1 factor on where we want to invest & settle. Our realtor showed us ton of homes [1750 under ac on average, 3/2/2 or 4/2/2] all priced b/w 189-199 & very nice homes.

It definitely is a matter of taste & opinion in Port Charlotte. I meet a great group of young moms who are all really nice & normal & happy in Port Charlotte.

Just keep researching & do not rush!!! Best of luck.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Yeah, sorta typical of Port Charlotte. Maybe see if your realtor can show you something in Section 15. That has a little more consistency. It is about 7-10 blocks west of the "New York" section.

Just take your time & don't rush. There is a ton of inventory.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:11 PM

Thank you for the great feedback. I am kind of mad at myself for falling in love with that house on Mamaroneck( we saw 50 different properties!) It is discouraging to see those disgusting houses couple streets over after I fell in love. Overall, I do like Port Charlotte, especially compared to Los Angeles where we moved from. People seem to be much nicer here, and less shallow. It just feels more down to earth here. On the other hand, I have an 8 year old and a newborn, so a safe neighborhood is crucial. I met a few moms that are home schooling their kids. Is the school system bad here?

Old 05-28-2007, 07:41 AM

It is said that Kingsway is the best elementary school in Port Charlotte. There is a montessori school in Lake Suzy, about 5 miles away, that is also suppose to be good.
We also found a great little area where we were going to buy in Port Charlotte..would have had trees, a park across the street, & sidewalks.
But, just too many issues & concerns about the area & I, in particular, want to be back up north due to change of seasons & family. We are just going to keep on renting until we either move back north or decide we truly love the area & feel investing our savings into it is worth it.

Is there any way you can rent for awhile to really get a good feel for the areas in Port Charlotte you care for? There is the possibility that the home you really liked "may" sell, but it might be worth it to wait in order to make sure that is an area you truly care for.

The New York section & Section 15 are fairly safe. It's a shame that people let their properties fall apart. Property taxes & home owners in this area is not that bad, so that is not an excuse of why people can't fix up their homes. I don't know what it is but we've also seen a lot of it in Punta Gorda & Port Charlotte.

I would also recommend looking on child predator websites prior to purchasing.

I heard something once "If you have to buy, buy the worst house in the best neighborhood, but don't buy the best house in the worst neighborhood".

Old 05-28-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the great feedback. I am kind of mad at myself for falling in love with that house on Mamaroneck( we saw 50 different properties!) It is discouraging to see those disgusting houses couple streets over after I fell in love. Overall, I do like Port Charlotte, especially compared to Los Angeles where we moved from. People seem to be much nicer here, and less shallow. It just feels more down to earth here. On the other hand, I have an 8 year old and a newborn, so a safe neighborhood is crucial. I met a few moms that are home schooling their kids. Is the school system bad here?

There is a Charlotte County MLS website where you can put in specific search criteria, charlotteareamls.com. The area you are looking at is considered "NE of 41".

I saw 3 homes for sale on that street in the price range of $175-$179. Honestly, I would wait awhile to purchase. I am not sure of the home you were looking at or your price range, but that is a sign right off the bat that street has a lot of vacancies. Who truly knows for what reason, but to rush & buy could be detrimental.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 AM

360 posts, read 1,304,120 times
Also, they are rezoning the school boundaries with the 08-09 school year, so when picking a neighborhood, check to see what school zone you will be in. Kingsway shrinks, while Liberty doubles in size in the boundary changes.

Have you looked in NW Port Charlotte, off Jacobs and near the Myakka River. I think it is really nice over there. Also (and I am biased since I live here) Rotonda West is a nice community with deed restrictions, parks, bike trails and excellent A rated schools. Many new 5 bedroom homes just built in Pine Valley where I live. Lots of families in this section of Rotonda. I have 4 children and love it here (except the high taxes and insurance!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte