Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obxnc7 View Post
I don't know what your problem is, but I do feel safer with anyone who deals drugs off the street. Cops don't let people in on their arrests, and if the "poor owners" paid attention to their business, they would have known what was going on. Cops don't "work" with drug users/ dealers......they arrest them.........that's just how it goes. And like jvelte said......cops shouldn't risk thier own lives and the safety of others just to help out a few low lifes..........sorry.
How do you think they catch the "bigger fish"? Informants? Nope.. no such thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Here's where it helps to know the history of your area.

The cops have their eye on Buffalo Chips and that area and have for awhile. I'm trying to think when - and I could go look for a link but I am trying to do some paperwork - but there was a bust in the building behind there, several years ago. I would say back in 2004 or so? They had Mexican women held as prisoners and forced into prostitution. There was a big raid.

Yes, they called the news. A lot of departments do that. They want to show the tax dollars at work. It is effective, too, when budget time rolls around. And when the cops get less money it can mean higher crime, depending on the circumstances of course.

But I digress. I believe that the owner of Buffalo Chips owned the building where the kidnapping and prostitution took place. If not, it was right next door.

I really enjoyed that restaurant. GREAT wings. Homey atmosphere. This was in 1999 to 2002. We moved after that. The owner was a New Yorker and a very, very nice guy.

But there is a history there, with the business and the cops.

What I am bummed about is that I recently visited swFlorida and never got a chance to go to Stan's subs. It's right down the street from Buffalo Chips. Best subs and soup in the WORLD. And I couldn't get there.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obxnc7 View Post
I don't want anyone doing coke OR weed OR any other drug preparing my food.
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to avoid this in SW Florida.

Anybody remember the Miller Ale House bust in 2008? It's basically the same story and got a lot of press. Management said they had no clue, law enforcement said otherwise.
Quote:
The “blatancy” of the dealing was startling, Ferrante said. Suspects placed baggies directly on the table or on the bar, within full view of families at nearby tables.

Ferrante said there was little structure to the dealing.
“They’re just a bunch of employees selling independently of one another,” he said.

VIDEO/PHOTOS: Miller's Ale House shut down after drug busts » Naples Daily News

Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 AM

317 posts, read 772,311 times
I'm not really sure what your issue is, Sami. But personally, I don't care how they go about arresting them... they should be arrested. But then again, I am pro-police and get pissed off when someone ******* about getting a ticket for having illlegal tint and then complain that the police should be arresting "real criminals". Well, don't have illegal tint and you won't get arrested and then the police don't have to worry about pulling you over!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 AM

301 posts, read 1,153,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Risk the operation?.........a couple of baggies of pot.....and a couple hundred bucks of coke.They knew when they made their "buys" that these guys were just low level guys trying to make a few bucks selling dope....sure ,it's wrong,but they all held full time jobs...they weren't mugging people for drug moneyThat was some operation.....bet there was high 5's and chest bumping .I feel so much safer tonight.
Oh yeah I'm sure the police knew exactly how much dope they would recover during the bust, because they have police X-Ray vision, right?? How the he!! do you know these thugs don't rob people for drug money?? did you know them personally? Maybe they were small time, but do you think they would've stayed "small". No, they would've gotten more greedy, and likely more dangerous to society as the greed and dope took over their lives.
Jeez, you make it sound like it's ok, these guys were just trying to make a few extra bucks to feed their family. Please. That's BS.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
I think it was the "showboating" that turned me off but I can't deny that it's good to get drugs off the street no matter what the circumstances......guess I have to say that I stand corrected after reading all the response.Definately not a cop hater....never had more than a speeding ticket and have law enforcement in the family

Old 03-09-2010, 08:57 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
I'm not really sure what your issue is, Sami. But personally, I don't care how they go about arresting them... they should be arrested. But then again, I am pro-police and get pissed off when someone ******* about getting a ticket for having illlegal tint and then complain that the police should be arresting "real criminals". Well, don't have illegal tint and you won't get arrested and then the police don't have to worry about pulling you over!
OK, here's the thing........

I am not anti police, I'm pro law enforcement. Like Samia, I have LEO's in the family.

What gets me pissed off is a double standard, where ANYONE is concerned. Politicians, businessmen, realtors, and yes, cops also.

Whether you wish to admit it or not, there are many cops that have delusions of grandeur running around the streets, everywhere, to be certain.

The window tint thing, since you brought it up, is one such sore spot with me. So I can get pulled over and fined, on the premise that the dark tint makes it "unsafe" for me to operate my vehicle. Ever take a good look at the tint on any given cop car? Much darker, but, of course they are super human, right? Then they put those shades on, it's a wonder they can see anything at all!

They get a pass, because their eyes are much better than the average citizen, and they can operate with illegal tint. They're better than us, and many(not all) are perfectly comfortable letting the average citizen know all about it, every chance they get.

I cant speak for Samia, but I have a feeling that it is this type of abuse of power that irks him, as it does me. Here's news for you, those of us with LEO's in the family, know the cops know exactly what I speak of here, as well.

They have a tough job, but they are only human. And much of their bad rep, they bring upon themselves......

Yachtcare has spoken!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I agree that the local cops, especially Lee County, have a reputation for being cocky and opressive.

However, the thread is about Buffalo Chips and after reading one news account I feel outraged, but at the owner. The cops went in there and bought drugs over and over and over. Yet the owner and his son say they knew nothing about it. The only reason the cops looked into it was because of customer complaints. Drugs were being dealt right out in the open. I say it is time his alchohol license is permanently pulled.

Buffalo Chips back open: Owner said he had no clue about drug deals » Naples Daily News

Old 03-10-2010, 03:45 AM

455 posts, read 978,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
OK, here's the thing........

I am not anti police, I'm pro law enforcement. Like Samia, I have LEO's in the family.

What gets me pissed off is a double standard, where ANYONE is concerned. Politicians, businessmen, realtors, and yes, cops also.

Whether you wish to admit it or not, there are many cops that have delusions of grandeur running around the streets, everywhere, to be certain.

The window tint thing, since you brought it up, is one such sore spot with me. So I can get pulled over and fined, on the premise that the dark tint makes it "unsafe" for me to operate my vehicle. Ever take a good look at the tint on any given cop car? Much darker, but, of course they are super human, right? Then they put those shades on, it's a wonder they can see anything at all!

They get a pass, because their eyes are much better than the average citizen, and they can operate with illegal tint. They're better than us, and many(not all) are perfectly comfortable letting the average citizen know all about it, every chance they get.

I cant speak for Samia, but I have a feeling that it is this type of abuse of power that irks him, as it does me. Here's news for you, those of us with LEO's in the family, know the cops know exactly what I speak of here, as well.

They have a tough job, but they are only human. And much of their bad rep, they bring upon themselves......

Yachtcare has spoken!!!!!!!
Window tinting is an Officer safety issue. Officers must be able to see what's going on inside the vehicle when they approach it.

One of my former coworkers, a Hillsborough County Deputy, was killed a few years ago by a psycho kid with something to prove. He pulled up next to the officer at a stop light late at night and shot into his vehicle. If the officer had had his window rolled up, the perp would not have been able to see inside the vehicle.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/08/16/ti...t/Times_1A.pdf

Old 03-11-2010, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 8,202 times
I'm with Sami, if you want to play SWAT on camera, PLEASE have more to show for it than 20 grams of weed and a little coke. And I'm pro LEO too - instead of having them waste their time with this chickenscratch, legalize it, tax it, and get it out of the back of restaurant kitchens.

"Maybe they were small time, but do you think they would've stayed "small". No, they would've gotten more greedy, and likely more dangerous to society as the greed and dope took over their lives." Do you watch "Reefer Madness" much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte