Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:00 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,346 times

Advertisements

KTNN is an excellent test of a tuner's sensitivity, especially after realigning and tweaking up the front end. It ain't wall-to-wall treetop tall here in Washingtax, good buddy, but it is audible at night on skip if ya got yer ears on. Come on back?

Quote:
I find that with analog dials I found a whole hell of a lot more than I do with digital tuners nowadays. Analog allowed you to manipulate the dial just enough to tune a station in better, while digital only goes up or down in whole digits.

You should at least give them another try if nothing else. Look for a digital tuner that allows you to tune 1 kHz increments instead of one locked to 10 kHz. Most half-assed mass market shortwave radios available these days will have that. If it has a beat frequency oscillator (for single-sideband transmissions) that's even better since once you zero-beat the BFO it can help to filter off crosstalk from adjacent sidebands. I've found a BFO very useful for mediumwave AM DX at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio