Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 11:50 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Wooster, Ohio. And yes, I was making a sarcastic reference to WKRP.
sOME things one doesn't forget. I used to watch that show "WKRP" back in the late 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 01:52 PM

608 posts, read 515,687 times
I've been checking this thread for a while but didn't feel like posting. In my opinion FM went the way of AM decades ago. I started listening to it in the mid 60's here in So. Cal. It was fantastic. It had very few ads (spoken, no pre recorded ones) and played the Rock Music that AM wouldn't play. I remember it being pretty good through the 70's, but sometime after that it really started to tank. I remember wondering why it was so bad and I came up with the idea that FM's downfall started when car radios with FM tuners started appearing. You know, all of a sudden there was this huge ad market untapped out there and we better jump on it. So they did. Makes sense to me.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I've been checking this thread for a while but didn't feel like posting. In my opinion FM went the way of AM decades ago. I started listening to it in the mid 60's here in So. Cal. It was fantastic. It had very few ads (spoken, no pre recorded ones) and played the Rock Music that AM wouldn't play. I remember it being pretty good through the 70's, but sometime after that it really started to tank. I remember wondering why it was so bad and I came up with the idea that FM's downfall started when car radios with FM tuners started appearing. You know, all of a sudden there was this huge ad market untapped out there and we better jump on it. So they did. Makes sense to me.
jUST curious why would cars coming out with FM radios be FM downfall?
Wouldn't this be considered to make FM even more popular? Or does this increase all of those commercials we don't like?

Old 11-26-2020, 11:37 AM

608 posts, read 515,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
jUST curious why would cars coming out with FM radios be FM downfall?
Wouldn't this be considered to make FM even more popular? Or does this increase all of those commercials we don't like?
Yes it would which is the point. Bigger listening audience especially during morning and afternoon commuting times (captive audience) , bigger advertising market for all those commercials we don't like

Old 11-26-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
Yes it would which is the point. Bigger listening audience especially during morning and afternoon commuting times (captive audience) , bigger advertising market for all those commercials we don't like
I see it figures

Old 11-26-2020, 01:37 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
AM radio went the way of AM radio.

FM radio will go the way of FM radio.

FM overtook AM because of increased technical production of music resulted in a finer product, to which FM is more suited.

FM's current competition isn't so much radio - though that is an element in digital broadcasting - as myriad other forms of music reproduction. FM's early competition for listening to music was minimal. Cassettes were a bit of competition for portability, in vehicles and personal players, but that still left FM reigning supreme when it came to discovering new music - which one then might purchase after deciding they liked what they heard via FM.

But then came MTV. And then the rise of the internet, and a way to discover music that was not dependent on the whims of DJs or marketing departments. Now with files and streaming ubiquitous, the number of platforms disseminating music is great.

FM's fate is yet to be decided, but it is not going to be AM's fate. The dynamics are completely different.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
AM radio went the way of AM radio.

FM radio will go the way of FM radio.

FM overtook AM because of increased technical production of music resulted in a finer product, to which FM is more suited.

FM's current competition isn't so much radio - though that is an element in digital broadcasting - as myriad other forms of music reproduction. FM's early competition for listening to music was minimal. Cassettes were a bit of competition for portability, in vehicles and personal players, but that still left FM reigning supreme when it came to discovering new music - which one then might purchase after deciding they liked what they heard via FM.

But then came MTV. And then the rise of the internet, and a way to discover music that was not dependent on the whims of DJs or marketing departments. Now with files and streaming ubiquitous, the number of platforms disseminating music is great.

FM's fate is yet to be decided, but it is not going to be AM's fate. The dynamics are completely different.
I loved watching MTV and VH-1 music videos back in 1981. Now I can watch them on U-Tube.
Now in todays car stereos they are multi-media entertainment systems should you choose to buy a car that has one in it or that system automatically comes equipped in car.
Now we go AM hi-definition radio? I have never heard what that is like as I don't not have such a system. But I would think if the AM system hasn't changed this AM stereo hi-def might be a gimmick.

Back in the day, up to late 70's on AM we used to have well know DJ personalities that surely helped AM listening which we no longer have along with the music they broadcasted.

Old 11-27-2020, 05:47 PM

1,378 posts, read 411,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I live in Oklahoma City, and the radio stations here are among the worst I've ever heard. It seems almost every frequency is changing to either a talk or oldies format of some sort. It almost seems like FM is starting to become what AM used to be - talk and music aimed at the older generation. At least in this market, nobody wants to try anything risky or interesting anymore. Does anybody think this is part of a larger trend or is it simply just OKC? For what its worth, 10 years ago OKC actually had some decent radio stations so its not like the market can't or at least once did support good stations. I guess the younger people that were the bread and butter of these stations are now listening to Pandora or other Internet radio, and I am sure that has a great effect on the variety of formats on the dial. Thoughts?
I live in Kansas and we used to have some good stations. The city I'm in now sucks for radio stations. My options are heavy metal, country and 80s music. I can't afford to have Sirius put in my vehicle and I wouldn't put it into a crap car anyway. I miss the days when things were free to the public. Not all this crap ya gotta buy and install and sign up for. Technology is changing everything and it's frustrating trying to not drop a load of cash just to keep occupied. Especially during this pandemic.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciKS View Post
I live in Kansas and we used to have some good stations. The city I'm in now sucks for radio stations. My options are heavy metal, country and 80s music. I can't afford to have Sirius put in my vehicle and I wouldn't put it into a crap car anyway. I miss the days when things were free to the public. Not all this crap ya gotta buy and install and sign up for. Technology is changing everything and it's frustrating trying to not drop a load of cash just to keep occupied. Especially during this pandemic.
YES aftermarket systems can get very pricey. Satellite radio subscriptions are the norm today just like cable TV more monthly bills added. But at least you have those choices of music. We don't have any of that here anymore.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:40 AM

748 posts, read 339,134 times
Even with streaming, it will have a place for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio