Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 03:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,999,540 times

Advertisements

This podcast is produced by some of the Serial team and all seven episodes were dropped at once this week. A true story, it is very, very Flannery O'Connor with a heavy mix of Southern, mental illness, grit, self-destruction and dark humor. I'm on episode six and am going to be sad for it to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 07:45 AM

5,127 posts, read 3,490,206 times
I was told I had to listen to this before Easter so that I could discuss it with our house guests. Just started yesterday and made it through 5 chapters. It's intriguing and Brian Reed is doing a good job. Hope there are still some surprises left.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,837,299 times
I started it Sunday and finished it yesterday. Wow. I'm sad it's over.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,999,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I was told I had to listen to this before Easter so that I could discuss it with our house guests. Just started yesterday and made it through 5 chapters. It's intriguing and Brian Reed is doing a good job. Hope there are still some surprises left.
I completely agree - Brian Reed did an amazing job weaving the story together in an unexpected way. One of the best podcasts I have ever listened too!

Old 04-07-2017, 06:58 AM

5,127 posts, read 3,490,206 times
Finished this yesterday. Once I got through Chapter VI, I had some doubts about the show and its decision to reveal relationships and facts about a person who had chosen to keep many things private and no longer had a say in what was aired. It just didn't feel right. I felt that Chapter VI spent too much time and included too many details on certain things, like they had nothing else to say during the hour. As that segment was playing, I became less enthralled with it. Until then, I was hooked. All in all, I thought it was well done and well produced.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:25 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,145,403 times
Just finished it yesterday..... would love an update on what is going on now.... a year or more after last interviews.....

Old 04-15-2017, 07:50 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,116,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Finished this yesterday. Once I got through Chapter VI, I had some doubts about the show and its decision to reveal relationships and facts about a person who had chosen to keep many things private and no longer had a say in what was aired. It just didn't feel right. I felt that Chapter VI spent too much time and included too many details on certain things, like they had nothing else to say during the hour. As that segment was playing, I became less enthralled with it. Until then, I was hooked. All in all, I thought it was well done and well produced.
I totally agree.

John was closeted (somewhat), probably on the autism spectrum, probably depressed or bipolar, and all that while living in an area where those traits are ESPECIALLY vexing.

The podcast eventually felt like it was putting him in a circus freak show and inviting us to point and stare.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 AM

29,846 posts, read 34,809,003 times
A lot of the criticism of S-Town has been about whether or not it exploited John B, but what makes most people more comfortable about the podcast (unlike with the Richard Simmons podcast) is that he said many of these things on the record to a journalist, and it's the journalist's job to follow up on leads and ideas.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:19 PM

10,529 posts, read 7,213,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I totally agree.

John was closeted (somewhat), probably on the autism spectrum, probably depressed or bipolar, and all that while living in an area where those traits are ESPECIALLY vexing.

The podcast eventually felt like it was putting him in a circus freak show and inviting us to point and stare.
Well, given the fact that John invited the reporter repeatedly to come to Alabama and openly discussed his life on the record, I'm not sure I understand your criticism. It's not as if John Reed tracked this guy down and trapped him into an interview with a hidden microphone.

Nope. At all times he was pretty scrupulous about not recording subjects when they requested it and informing subjects about the consequences of being interviewed.

I mean, if all they did was interview nice, safe, mentally well-adjusted people, then there would be almost nothing to air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio