Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,271 times

Advertisements

What was the technology like?

What were some of the "rules of etiquette" or anything else that people wouldn't imagine?

Any tips for those of us looking to start?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 02:37 PM

8,626 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Sometimes you just have to put yourself out there. I never "worked" at a radio station, but wanted to learn more about music programming, so I became an unconventional intern. I basically went down to the radio station and showed eagerness to learn, passion and availability. I interned for a short period of time back around '93-'94ish with Toby Amies (later MTV Europe/Alternative Nation/MTV Live) who was the music director at KRQ in Tucson. This was back during the time that Jimmy Kimmel did morning hosting duties there. I also help with promotions at club concerts and got to meet bands like Utah Saints. Interestingly, Carson Daly was an intern at KRQ, and Carson and Toby would years later host MTV Live together.

Old 03-04-2020, 02:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I don't think you need any tip to volunteer, which is a good starting point. Just call them up and inquire.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:40 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swXSasc View Post
What was the technology like?
What were some of the "rules of etiquette" or anything else that people wouldn't imagine?
Any tips for those of us looking to start?
Thank you.

Yes I was a volunteer music show host on a college/public radio station about 10 years ago. Not sure what you mean about the technology. It was nothing overly intimidating, if that's what you mean. I have no knowledge or background in such things and in short order I was running the whole station by myself and shutting it all down at midnight. Theres a row of switches and sliders in front, a couple of CD players and record players, a computer for playing web content (I didn't) and creating playlists. You have one song playing and one or two lined up ready to go when it ends, or when the cd starts acting up. To talk between songs you just push the slider and talk into the mike. Its quite easy. What I found hard was staying organized and interested for 5 hours, which was the show length. It was fun for a couple hours then it just felt like a heroic effort not to screw something up. I would love to do it again if it was only a 2 hour show.

There is a list of words you can't say, but other than that no particular etiquette for the show I did.

To start, just find a college or public radio station and call up to volunteer.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:05 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,179,417 times
i do not think I would like it now as it seems all computerized like everything else. I did radio back in the 1990s in a few places on the air and behind the scenes. I did an internship at WGN radio Chicago.

Did a couple of tours at the old LOOP radio, AM 1000, Blaze which were all in the same place that was cool and almost worked there

Also did on air stuff at a smaller suburban station. But the best was being a fan of a Heavy Metal station a college had on Fridays and called in a lot and they invited me to hang out and I never left for many years! I would hang out for hours and watch them do their shows and go on the air a bit. When they got new bigger studios I eventually cohosted a show with a buddy of mine!

Sadly there has never been any true mainstream Metal radio stations.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:46 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I don't know a thing about getting inbto radio, but I've been told throughout the years that I have the voice for radio & I'd love to work in radio remotely, but I wouldn't want to just talk about any topic NOR even 1 topic because I've never been a yakker so I'd run out of what to say fast. I'd just like to know what to say & say it...like maybe doing commercials on the air instead of having an actual station & having to discuss everything under the sun.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:19 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
OP never logged in again after people with radio experience responded. I guess 4 days was too long to wait.

I'd like to do radio again. I called my now-local public radio station and volunteered to do the kind of music show I have experience doing and they wanted me to do jazz instead. I don't know jazz that well and while I like some, I'm not a huge jazz fan. Plus they already had jazz shows practically every day. Pfffft. I will try them again someday if they get a new manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio