Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 11:15 AM

810 posts, read 2,160,966 times

Advertisements

I'm going to mention 2: WTMD in Baltimore and WXPN in Philadelphia. Also KEXP in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 12:13 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
I'm not familiar with those so I don't quite know what you mean.

I enjoy WMVY, a public supported station out of Martha's Vinyard. MVYRADIO is at https://mvyradio.org/ for streaming, which is how I listen to it, 2000 miles away out in the desert.

My interest is music and performances ...sometimes interspersed with small craft warnings. It is a good place to hear new music along with some older 60's & 70's stuff. It would not be everyone's favorite. It reminds me of a couple shoestring stations I used to listen to decades ago.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:17 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times
WXRV and WERS are my favs in my area. WERS is a school radio, though, so I don't know that it counts as "independent".

Old 01-19-2022, 12:21 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
KEXP is good.

KGRG is another local one in Seattle (well, Auburn), broadcast by students at Green River College.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:38 PM

810 posts, read 2,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm not familiar with those so I don't quite know what you mean.

I enjoy WMVY, a public supported station out of Martha's Vinyard. MVYRADIO is at https://mvyradio.org/ for streaming, which is how I listen to it, 2000 miles away out in the desert.

My interest is music and performances ...sometimes interspersed with small craft warnings. It is a good place to hear new music along with some older 60's & 70's stuff. It would not be everyone's favorite. It reminds me of a couple shoestring stations I used to listen to decades ago.
Officially WTMD plays "Adult Album Alternative" music. I would paste the wiki link and definition here but not sure if I'm allowed.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:49 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,060 times
WYEP in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It's like college radio, old-school plays-it-all-radio, and public radio had a love child.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:48 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,530,903 times
WWCD in Columbus Ohio https://cd1025.com/ . Liked them a whole lot in the 90s as the only station in Columbus Ohio playing alternative music. Still playing alternative today, and they do play lots of older stuff going back even into the 1970s.

Old 01-25-2022, 05:50 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,563,565 times
The Current for a variety of Indie Music with a sprinkling of classic songs thrown in.

https://www.thecurrent.org/

Radio Free Phoenix for Free Form Rock much like FM Radio was in the 50 years ago.

Radio Free Phoenix - Free Form Rock Commercial Free

KFXM plays an very extensive library of songs heard on AM Radio in the 50's, 60's & 70's.

K F X M* The Lost Goldmine in the high desert!

Old 01-27-2022, 11:36 AM

1,069 posts, read 745,664 times
WEVL in Memphis is an independent, volunteer supported station with an eclectic format and ZERO politics. You'll hear blues, jazz, old school country, world music, rock and roll, new wave and punk, folk, Celtic, bluegrass, gospel, rap and other music genres.

https://wevl.org/

WWOZ in New Orleans is a non-profit community-supported radio station in New Orleans. It is owned by the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation. The station specializes in music from or relating to the cultural heritage of New Orleans and the surrounding region of Louisiana. The playlist includes Jazz, Blues and other world music

https://www.wwoz.org/

They're both great radio stations.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:19 AM

675 posts, read 644,510 times
KEXP is one of my favorites. It is from Seattle, WA, and is very indie forward, but plays some interesting latin, 80's punk, and other surprises a bit. I guess it depends when you listen to it.

I used to live near Pittsburgh, PA. They have WYEP, which is a listener-supported AAA station. I also liked WRCT, student radio for Carnegie Mellon. Some interesting Indian music on there, but also I've heard some ambient techno and some other things.

KUOI - student station at Idaho.
KZSC - UC Santa Cruz. Training ground for UCSC journalism and broadcasting students.
KDHX - St. Louis. Listener-supported, AAA format, but with cultural blocks and some news/public affairs, too.
WMNF - Tampa. Freeform, volunteer, community-supported. My first foray into this world of left-dial radio.
WNCW - Spindale, NC, out of Isothermal Community College, but seems to be run professionally. Very diverse, but with a focus on local music, sometimes Appalachian folk.

San Diego, my city, has a jazz station (many forms) out of its downtown junior college, San Diego City College, and it has an HD2 that appears student-run, but plays (from my experience) commercial hits from the 80's to the 2000s, maybe in a different mix than you'd hear on commercial radio, though. KSDS Jazz 88 and "SDS" on the HD2. San Marcos has a similar station out of its junior college. Not as good DJs there. KKSM.

We are really lacking of anything resembling a KEXP or KDHX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio