Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 03:28 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times

Advertisements

I remember listening to her when she was on KFI. Not my typical cup of tea, but I agree with a lot of her viewpoints.

As a side note, she lives in SB and in many of the same circles as my parents. She recently sold / or is trying to sell her place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 03:37 PM

221 posts, read 133,829 times
I only heard her a few times and she was talking about her young son on the air. I felt sorry for him.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:56 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
Dr Laura Schlessinger, I remember when she was on KFI AM radio.

"Radio" is a dying medium. "Podcasting" is Where Its At in 2022.

I no longer accept advertising interrupting my train of thought. Modern technology allows us to subvert, skip or suppress most adverts. I guess I dont mind a few respectful commericial sponsors at the beginning of a podcast, but I dont want to put up with a blantantly "programmed format" where I have to put up with ads every 9 minutes to hear the content I want, like radio did.

Podcasts also have no censorship, Joe Rogan or his guests fling the F-word in conversation, Elon Musk smoked MJ, nobody cares and the FCC cant stop it. Obviously, you cant use the N-word like Dr Laura did that one time, because that will alienate your fan base (unless you are a Rapper talking about yourself or your rivals) (Dave Chappelle uses the N-word... but I cant)

Dr Laura had a long and successful career. I hope she lived happily ever after.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:25 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerJenny View Post
I only heard her a few times and she was talking about her young son on the air. I felt sorry for him.
The proof is in the pudding. Her son is married and doing great. But you are right.....she probably cut him no slack.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
She's still on Sirius XM. Her commentary is a lot more bitter than she used to be on broadcast radio. It also includes words you wouldn't hear on broadcast radio. If you thought she was tough on callers before, it's worse now!

Old 07-18-2022, 03:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 1,600,118 times
I listened to her. She was tough. She was the most successful radio talk show at the time. She went through some personal tough times. I think her house caught on fire. When her husband died she had a nervous breakdown.

Her anti-homosexual stance brought protesters to the radio stations. But she never changed her stance (at the time, IDK about now). Stations started dropping her.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:10 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
I'm trying to recall, how did "Dr. Laura" get her start in radio......

Old 07-18-2022, 09:14 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I liked her... until she got to be... so much. Then she was just a .... "insert word here."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-19-2022, 10:31 AM

234 posts, read 267,021 times
Used to enjoy listening to Dr Laura's radio show. She was a straight-shooter.

I cannot think of another show quite like her's that provided personal relationship advice. There were some other similar format (but different topics) shows:

Bruce William's show was another good one -- he focused more on business/finance topics. He would take callers and hand out advice based on his years of experience.

Clark Howard is another one who provided consumer and financial advice. His show is gone as well.

Not much of that ilk on national syndicated radio anymore -- I guess Dave Ramsey's financial show would be the closest thing.

Old 10-10-2022, 05:00 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I'm not, but "Dr Laura" sure is. Time for homework.

In post #6 you asked who Dr. Laura is.

How would you know that/if Dr. Laura is toxic if you don't know who she is ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio