U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,904,894 times

Advertisements

I had to say goodbye this weekend to my best friend of almost 12 years.

Rosco was found on the highway in AL with his sister. Both puppies were in a bad state physically, but with a lot of love and care my Rosco grew into a healthy and outstanding dog.

Saturday he was in so much pain (his back started to deteriorate about six months ago), that he could hardly walk. His bad days were outnumbering his good.

It was a heartbreaking and gut wrenching decision, but I know that if I didn't make it I was being selfish. He was on a lot of medication and in pain He couldn't chase the rabbits and squirrels and was too scared to even get into the river to swim.

I loved my little Rosco so much and hate not having him here with me. He was so loyal and always there. A great dog whom I miss so much.

I'm a little worried about my other dog who is getting on in age. Her and Rosco were together constantly. In 12 years I can count on one hand how many times they were separated. She's moping around a little and keeps looking for her buddy. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help her?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 06:39 AM

110 posts, read 589,705 times
So sorry that you lost your friend. I've been there; had to have my nine year old bichon put to sleep seven years ago this summer. It still hurts. It is so hard to say good-bye, but just know that you did the right thing by ending the pain and suffering.

I don't have any good advice about how to help your remaining dog other than to spend extra time together and do things that she likes to do. Maybe your vet or groomer could offer some suggestions.
You'll be in my thoughts.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,670,899 times
I am so sorry Tet. You did the right thing. Rosco had a great life with you.

{{{{Tet Tea}}}}

I've been there, actually, we're still sort of there now, and are wavering about getting another dog (we lost our Rosie last summer but still have Elwood, and now with the second son out of the house Elwood is stuck with just me.)

Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 AM

3,108 posts, read 8,672,718 times
On the 11th of April 2003. I had to make the same decision. My Snowy lived for almost 18 years. I had to make a very hard decision but it's one that responsible parents of furbabies have to make at some point. Snowy had reached the point where severe arthritis, a thyroid condition causing massive weight loss and then not being able to keep herself clean made it inevitable. Cats are fastidious creatures and the last was the final straw. Snowy trusted me to do what was best for her all her life and I had to fulfill that trust. And in return, she gave me unconditional love and companionship even if she didn't always show it.

So I know you will grieve. But remember that your Rosco is waiting for you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. Liz

Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 AM

8,190 posts, read 29,710,209 times
Sending cyber hugs your way!

I have said goodbye to 2 fur kids in the last 6 months. Believe me, animals grieve for each other. They look around, they worry. Spend some extra time with her. When you are ready, honor Roscoe's memory by opening your heart to another dog.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 AM

4,948 posts, read 17,615,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post

Rosco was found on the highway in AL with his sister. Both puppies were in a bad state physically, but with a lot of love and care my Rosco grew into a healthy and outstanding dog.

Saturday he was in so much pain (his back started to deteriorate about six months ago), that he could hardly walk. His bad days were outnumbering his good.

It was a heartbreaking and gut wrenching decision, but I know that if I didn't make it I was being selfish. He was on a lot of medication and in pain He couldn't chase the rabbits and squirrels and was too scared to even get into the river to swim.

I loved my little Rosco so much and hate not having him here with me. He was so loyal and always there. A great dog whom I miss so much.

I'm a little worried about my other dog who is getting on in age. Her and Rosco were together constantly. In 12 years I can count on one hand how many times they were separated. She's moping around a little and keeps looking for her buddy. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help her?
I feel your pain I had an australian terrier who had age 10 I needed to put to sleep. her constant companion was a bichon named angel on last thursday the beloved bichon died in my arms while i was home holding her. I see her all over this house. I got another aussie for her when the 10 year old dog died so she would have company. now it is me and the aussie who will soon be 7.

i just do not feel like I can get another dog, i also feel as if i need to move from this home.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:12 AM

3,108 posts, read 8,672,718 times
Quote:
i just do not feel like I can get another dog, i also feel as if i need to move from this home.
Hopefully, those feelings will ease. It is VERY hard to lose a furbaby but try and remember that you did have good times.

Quote:
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

*Author Unknown*
Liz

Old 06-25-2007, 08:27 AM

4,923 posts, read 16,926,819 times
I'm sorry that you lost your friend. Thank you for rescuing him and giving him a god and wonderful life.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 AM

13,036 posts, read 23,206,440 times
I am so sorry Tet Tea, losing a family friend like this is heartbreaking and just thinking about how you must be feeling makes me feel so teary and sad. The only consolation is all the love and memories you shared and that he had a good life , made better by your kindness and affection.
I have always thought that our furry friends should have the same life-span we do as it would be such a gift to grow old with the puppy or kitten you had known since childhood. I' afraid the older I get the more I do find the adage : "the more I know people , the more I love my Dog" quite right . Furry critters never disappoint , are always loyal and loving and it's quite difficult to beat this kind of companionship. I hope the pain will ease soon, I know how hard it is, I think we all do sadly .
I was told by a dog trainer once that getting a puppy is very good if you have another dog getting on a bit. It's companionship for the older one and "mentoring" for the pup. Maybe it would help with your situation ? It's also supposed to ease the pain when sadly the older dog passes away. My thoughts are with you anyway and all the best wishes. Remember all the good times and the fun you had with your Bud.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:55 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,007,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post

tet tea...I am so, so truly sorry about the loss you have suffered!
It's tough, tough, tough...to say the least.
Funny thing is, they never judge you, stick by your side, going with you trough thick and thin, good times and bad......unconditionally, being better then human friends.

I would definately speak to your vet ASAP, concerning your other dog. She is, believe it or not, suffering so much more then you right now. And some dogs are known to take a loss of a friend so badly...physically and mentally.
The idea for adding another, new dog is ok, in SOME cases.
She is older....will she except and take onto another dog?
She is older...is it to much stress for her to introduce her to a new addition?

Please talk to your vet, so he can make a recomendation.
And for you....hang in there!!!
We are here, my friend...the whole crazy bunch!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge