U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM

2,544 posts, read 3,922,330 times

Advertisements

We rescued him as a young pup from a bad situation. We were glad to be able to offer him a good loving home. Our boxer, Stella had passed only a few weeks before, and a friend of a friend asked us if we could help Blue out. I was a little resistant, so close yet to the loss of Stella.

How wrong I was. And glad to be. Blue was a gentle, loving giant (120 lbs trim weight!) He loved and watched over my wife and two children when I could not be there. No one came into our yard without my wife or I telling Blue it was ok. Really, though, he just wanted to play, to love, and to be loved. And all those things we had in spades.

He had one flaw. Once in a while, he would get a burr under his saddle and would go off on an "adventure." He would run off, and usually, he would be back within a couple of hours. I always went out to search for him, but more often than not, he would be waiting for me at home after I gave up searching.

Not this time. Friday night, late, I took him out for his toilet. He had one of his running moments, and in the blink of an eye was gone. I called for him, and looked for him in his usual haunts, to no avail. Exasperated, I slept on the couch in little spurts, waking up frequently to call for him. He had a warm house outside, and I kept hoping he would be there when I called for him.

Early Saturday morning, I got into the car to widen the search. When I pulled out onto the main road, I saw him. His dark body was lying on the side of the road, motionless. My heart sank. I knew it was him. When I got to him, I could see he had been hit, and from what I could tell of the scene, he must have gone quickly. Someone had pulled him off to the side.

As hard as it was for me to discover that, the hardest thing was to go back home, to tell my eagerly waiting children and wife what I had found. Our friend and family member is gone. Our hearts are broken.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 PM

5,943 posts, read 5,224,733 times
So sorry for your loss. These things hit hard, particularly this time of year.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 PM

2,888 posts, read 5,999,103 times
So sorry for your whole family, to be without your Blue.

Honor Blue like you did Stella - give yourselves a little time and bring in another furry soul that needs a special family.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:27 PM

2,544 posts, read 3,922,330 times
Thank you both for responding. We will eventually find another little one who needs a home. I believe Stella brought us Blue, and when the time is right Blue will bring us the right one. Heaven knows there are enough dogs needing homes. Ours will be open again soon.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:40 PM

14,790 posts, read 21,562,499 times
When you are ready please go to the shelter and adopt a big dog due to the fact that the bigger ones hardly ever get adopted . So sorry for your loss . I pray God eases your heart soon and allows another gentle giant to come into your home .

Old 12-20-2010, 05:13 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,645,855 times
So sorry for your loss, HUGS.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 21,704,901 times
Very sorry for your loss of Blue. Blue will definitely bring another into your lives.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 PM
bjh

42,280 posts, read 26,544,795 times
Sorry you lost your dog.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:36 PM

2,806 posts, read 7,056,824 times
This is devastating...I'm truly sorry for your loss and the pain you and your family are in. Take comfort in the fact that you rescued him from a bad situation and gave him a wonderful, loving home...
you saved him and he knew love and trust because of you.
My heart goes out to you (((hugs)))

Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 PM

19,857 posts, read 61,419,934 times
So very sorry for your sudden loss. He is now happy and healthy, running the great fields of the sky, with lots of new friends. Many of my furbabies greeted him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge