Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,681 times

Advertisements

My 16 year old just went to doggy heaven. It started a year or so ago, she drank alot of water but other than that she was good. I went on a vacation a couple weeks ago. I never go on vacation and was so worried about her.I just new something was going to happen with her in my heart. But I went for my kids. When we came back she would not eat anything and i mean anything. She would trow up alot, she would juat stand there and just stare, she also shaked even when sleepong which she never shook. She just looked so bad. After the 3 rd day I took her to vet. He I'd test to see her blood
Count which obviously wasnt great and suggested we do iv overnight. He said he seen her throw up alot and just looked bad. He said we can't do much if she isn't responding to iv. I only did iv one day and he said we could do it one more night but I couldn't do that to her, I hated her to stay there. So I went and got her for 4 hours and gave her lobes the whole time even when she was throwing up. She didn't pee one time I 4 hours and she drank water for 10 minutes at a time. We then took her back to the vet and did the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I asked one more time if he was 100% sure it was her kidney and he said yes and she probably wouldnt last 1 week, even though he said that i feel
Maybe i should of asked if there was medication or something to make her xomfortable for a while. I think maybe i just knew she wasnt going to make it very long and didnt want her to suffer.I could even be there when they gave
her the shot. Which I feel bad about also. I just hope I did the righ thing I miss her so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,474,501 times
I had to do the same thing to my favorite cat, he was like my best friend, very in tune with me. It was the best thing, his kidneys had also shut down.

He was such a comfort to me through many hard times in life, I had to do what was best for him. That's what you did for your dog. You did the right thing. Try to remember the good times and not the times when your pet was sick.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM

455 posts, read 1,240,935 times
I am always left with a nag, if... maybe... perhaps...

It is the hardest decision we ever have to make, but we make it in the best interest of our pets. We assess age, quality of life, and amount of discomfort, and above all long term prognosis.

I firmly believe you made the right decision. I can't alleviate your grief all I can say is time is a great healer. Try to think of the good times you had with her.

Sending Hugs.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,892,194 times
one of the hardest thigns is to let go, and youll NEVER feel guilt free about it no matter what anyone says...

but let me say this 16 is a wonderfull age for any dog, and you gave that dog a wonderfull full 16yrs...
and from what your saying, it sounds as if she was letting you know she was ready to go...and she whent peacefully in your arms!

your a good doggy momma, and now shes running pain free.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,456,337 times
Absolutely, you did a kind thing for your old freind who was suffering. I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,681 times
Thank u everyone. Im hoping it was the right decision and lobe her so
Much. It helps to know people think so. I just knew I had to
Do it quickly or I wouldn't being her back to the vet. I have 3 more dogs that are older and I'm dreading the day. I feel like I should try to watch them more closely to catch stuff early bit then feel like I didnt do the best job for my baby. Guess it's over and done and I just need to hope she is happy where she is. Again thank u and sorry for ur losses.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,682,616 times
The kindest thing you can do is set them to peace, rather then keep them alive for your (our) own emotional needs.

We've all been there, we all know how hard it is. We all leave with 'what if's' and 'maybe i should have waited' in our heads. But in our hearts, we know we did what was best for them, even if its not best for us.

(((hugs to you)))

Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,128,452 times
It's never hard to say goodbye to our beloved furkids. A friend of mine told me to use the "three favorite things" rule. When your dog is no longer doing and enjoying their three favorite things...whatever those may be...playing fetch, going for walks, even eating...then it's time and it's the last final gift we can give our pets. To set them free of their pain and misery.

This "saying" is a part of my signature on another breed specific dog forum I belong to...

"Grief is the price we pay for love." I've lost several pets over the year and as heartbreaking as it is to lose them, I don't regret a moment and will always have a pet in my life.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,198,356 times
You clearly loved her very much. You'll miss her for a long time. But you did the right thing.

Your vet wouldn't have told you she only had a week if there was any doubt. They making money keeping dogs alive.

Right there, is your validation that you did what needed to be done.

The two of you were lucky to have each other. Imagine how lost she would have been if you had died first.

I'm glad you were able to take her for four hours to give her some final loving.

Quit beating yourself up. Be kind to yourself. You were a good friend to her.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,908,801 times
So sorry for your loss. I believe she isnow running the great fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. Some of my late furbabies are there with her. <<hugs>>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge