U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:47 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,523,573 times

Advertisements

Beautiful girl.
My heart goes out to you.
I bet you had lots of good times together.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 11:02 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,199,728 times
Awe, May Zoe rest in peace. She was beautiful and I am sure the memory of her will live on in your heart forever.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 35,434,702 times
Sorry for your loss but remember she is running free waiting at Rainbow bridge for you

Old 05-08-2011, 11:07 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,422,745 times
Zoe was such a beautiful girl, what a lovely photo! I hope she is happily running and playing at the Rainbow Bridge. Maybe if you pay enough attention, you will get to sense her around you when she comes to visit.

Like I told my dogs when they passed, "see you at the next stop, my baby..."

Old 05-08-2011, 11:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,162,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Maybe if you pay enough attention, you will get to sense her around you when she comes to visit.
Logic may say this is not true, but my heart (and a few experiences) tell me otherwise.

Zoe was so beautiful. She'll be there waiting at the Bridge.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,671,410 times
Thanks so much to all of you. A friend of mine said the other day that she felt that Zoe was quickly reincarnated and was there to help the Seals bring down Osama bin Laden. They say a Malinois was with the Seals - you just never know. I'm not one to generally believe such things, but I won't say it couldn't happen. She was a bold and beautiful dog, and she's having a ball at the rainbow bridge. I really and truly appreciate your kind words.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
Last week, 5 days after she was diagnosed with lung cancer, my 9 year old Belgian Malinois Zoe had to be put to sleep. She was my first dog of my adult life, so this has been very hard. What gets me through it is that I know she is running wildly at the bridge with all the other sweet dogs and cats and bunnies and ferrets (and other pets) who were already there. One day she will be waiting for me.

Here she is just 6 weeks before she died:
I stumbled upon this post because I have just learned that my 10-year old belgian malinois has been diagnosed with lung cancer. This is extremely difficult to accept, and I find myself second guessing the vet. "Boone" has lost considerable weight and I first recognized a coughing that appeared more like choking. The vet diagnosed a bronchial inflammation; the radiologist subsequently diagnosed lung cancer. Boone was prescribed prednisone to reduce inflammation, and it appears that now we wait. This is so hard. Was there ever any doubt about your dog's diagnosis (am I second guessing the experts) and what signs confirmed that it was time? This may be a past difficult memory for you, but know that your experiences can be very helpful to others like myself in this moment. Many thanks.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 AM

4,821 posts, read 12,139,561 times
It's anybody's guess as to whether the OP will notice this revived thread now that a year has passed.
But recent experience helps me speak to this. In January I held Weasie, my 19-year-old cat, in my lap as she departed this life. She had been through a short "under the weather" phase last July. Animals typically try to hide when they're in pain; she'd spent most of several days snoozing in a closet where she normally never passed time (except during winter 'cause it was one of the warmest places in the house to her.) There had also been some episodes of vomiting. But her appetite didn't seem to be affected much, and everything appeared to be OK before long.
As summer gave way to fall it was clear to me that Weeze was losing weight. So I took her in to the vet ahead of her scheduled check-up. Alarmingly, she'd in fact gone from 9 lbs 8 oz to 6 lbs 4 oz in the space of five months. Because she was behaving the same as ever the vet said that her "slightly elevated" thyroid levels were likely the culprit. "Something worse" couldn't be ruled out, but her ongoing voracious appetite and active day-to-day living seemed to indicate that all she needed was to have her metabolism brought under control.
But medicating with "methimazole" did nothing to stem the ounces' dropping. Weasie and I made the trek to the clinic 2-3 times a month, and my hopes that her weight would at least stabilize stayed dashed. Finally the vet told me that we needed to accept that a diagnosis of "something worse" might indeed be the case. X-rays were taken. Sure enough, a large malignancy was found almost in the center of her liver. There was also a metastasis right next to the aorta as well as quite a few clusters of cancer cells all through the bloodstream. In my situation there was no way this ominous find could be denied. I'd dropped Weasie off at the clinic that morning before work. The vet caught me on the phone before I left to pick her up at the end of the day, so that I wouldn't have the "bomb" dropped when I got there. Then when I did arrive he had the digital images ready to show me. So much for being able to put thoughts of "the worst that could happen" to the back of my mind. Proof that the worst HAD happened was right before my eyes. Had that not been so, I would've also been one to second-guess and rationalize. Fantail, have the X-rays been shown to you? Demand to see them if not. As much esteem as I hold my vet in I would've remained skeptical had I not been given the evidence.
Yes, from here on in all you can do is wait. Weasie and I ended up having fifteen more days together. She persisted in gobbling down food and acting the same as ever until the pain overtook her and she began crying to be delivered from it. During that period I spoiled her worse than before. ("This food you love has no nutritional value. So what, you're gonna die anyway. Eat hearty!") I took the last full day of her life off from work and we spent hours "just being with each other." You will know when Boone's time is near no matter how he communicates it. Weasie made it easy for me. There was no mistaking when her mood had changed. She would trudge through the house with her tail lowered, or sit numbly staring into space. One morning as I woke, she stood on the pillow and gave a series of clipped whimpers. Other times she'd wail and howl like she'd never done since many years ago when her brother disappeared forever. This only went on for two days before I got it through my thick skull that there was no need for her to go on suffering like that. Remarkably, she rallied to the point of not making any sad sounds on that last day we shared. We both knew - and somehow telegraphed to one another - that the end was near and that I'd be there for it with her.
My heart goes out to you.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,600,135 times
Our little darling who left us on Sunday will be with your beautiful Zoe, she loved the beach so i'm sure they will be running together catching the waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge