Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:31 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times

Advertisements

I don't know what to write, only realized that I had to write and this seemed like the best place to do so

Ozymandias aka Ozzy, one of my pet rats died about an hour ago. I've owned rats for years and he was a special one, a true "heart rat". Never met a person whose fingers he wouldn't lick or nuzzle. He was almost 3 years old, so I knew this day would come, but it's still tough. I got him and his 3 other brothers (my "Watchmen" rats) when they were tiny babies. Now I've only got Rory left.

My first pet was a hamster and over the years, I've owned a lot of "pocket pets" like hamsters, rats, and gerbils. I've always been a rodent lover. I thought that I was used to their shorter life span compared to pets like dogs and cats, but losing my boys over the past year has really been trying. A friend asked me once why do I keep owning pets who die in 1-3 years and I've always responded that it's because during the short time I have w/ them, they give so much love and life. But now, I don't think I can do it anymore. I may need to take a break from the little ones, focus on the cats. Too much death, too little time. To make matters worse, I already have people telling me, "it was just a rat", as if he was somehow less of a beloved pet than a pet dog or cat (knew I shouldn't have posted on FB).

Anyone else on here been long time owners of pocket pets? how do you deal w/ the shorter life spans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 03:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
It amazes me when people can say "It was just a (fill in the blank)." Why they can't understand that you loved him and you're hurting, I don't know. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I don't know what to write, only realized that I had to write and this seemed like the best place to do so

Ozymandias aka Ozzy, one of my pet rats died about an hour ago. I've owned rats for years and he was a special one, a true "heart rat". Never met a person whose fingers he wouldn't lick or nuzzle. He was almost 3 years old, so I knew this day would come, but it's still tough. I got him and his 3 other brothers (my "Watchmen" rats) when they were tiny babies. Now I've only got Rory left.

My first pet was a hamster and over the years, I've owned a lot of "pocket pets" like hamsters, rats, and gerbils. I've always been a rodent lover. I thought that I was used to their shorter life span compared to pets like dogs and cats, but losing my boys over the past year has really been trying. A friend asked me once why do I keep owning pets who die in 1-3 years and I've always responded that it's because during the short time I have w/ them, they give so much love and life. But now, I don't think I can do it anymore. I may need to take a break from the little ones, focus on the cats. Too much death, too little time. To make matters worse, I already have people telling me, "it was just a rat", as if he was somehow less of a beloved pet than a pet dog or cat (knew I shouldn't have posted on FB).

Anyone else on here been long time owners of pocket pets? how do you deal w/ the shorter life spans?
{{{{{ eevee }}}}} I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My sincere condolences.

Whether they be cats or dogs or pocket pets or humans, they always leave us too soon. We can only do our best to love them while they are here and make their life as wonderful as we can.

It will take some time for you. Don't be afraid to grieve in your own way, and be damned what anyone else has to say about it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-12-2011, 04:18 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
It doesn't matter how long our beloved pets live, they always leave such an impact. As for the people telling you that "it was only a rat"...drop those people as your friends. If they truly knew you, they would know how much they mean to you...and I would tell them that too. I've only owned 1 hamster, Hermie. Had him for about 3 yrs. I think about him as I do my cats and dogs I've lost in the past.
I'm so sorry for your loss of Ozzy.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,267 times
For eevee (and all hearts who know exactly what she is feeling), a message from Ozzy (and all of our Bridge Kids): A Place For Us .

Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Sorry you've lost your pets. Any pet is important to the pet owner. Every pet owner's feelings matter.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 PM

25 posts, read 44,118 times
I am sorry for your loss. I have never owned a pet rat, but I heard they are wonderful pets. RIP Ozzy.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:53 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter how small they are, or how long you've loved them, it always hurts to say goodbye...RIP Ozzy, and (((hugs))) to you.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:30 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
eevee, I'm so sorry your world is smaller today.

I understand the feelings caused by the unfeeling "It was just a __ " or in my case, "Just an old cat, anyway, or "You spent HOW MUCH? on an old cat?!"

Insensitive people don't get more sensitive when you lose a cat or a dog, they still don't "get it".

I lost my first cat Saber this May, on the 4th ... I ventured onto the internet for the first time because of my grief.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...l#post19405677

I saw a key word and was trying to reply to that, when my heart just burst and this flooded out.

Keep writing, there are poetry forums, haiku, short stories, etc. at CD.

I had an idea for a new thread this morning, that I will post in Rainbow Bridge, instead of limiting it to cats forum, but with the express ON TOPIC requirement that only those having lost a pet, their pet, have Anything to post to the Thread.

Spend your life with animals, and people that are right for you, regardless of their size or stature.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I am so sorry for your loss of Ozzy. I have never had a pet rat, but I understand that they make the best pets. In the past, we have had gerbils, and like with any pet, we grieved as they went to the Rainbow Bridge. You need time to grieve for Ozzy and to ignore those who don't or chose not to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge