U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 PM

18,845 posts, read 34,696,366 times

Advertisements

I have been crying most of the day. Our older cat, Beau, it is his "time". I have been at work all day, getting calls on my cell with updates. I never use my phone at work...but today, it was just needed. I am SO depressed about this. We could probably keep him going for longer, but he is 16, and has had siezures, a respitory infection. We are making a choice for our cat, and his quality of life. He is a cat who is full of energy, does not like to go to the vet, and for him, having ongoing health issues, blood work, is just not in his best interest, at his age. He has not been very healthy for about the last couple of years, he was a rescue...and not too healthy when we got him.

He has been with us for 16 years. I just wish that they lived longer. My kids are going to be heartbroken. We are going to wait for the weekend, my ex and I plan to be together, and have the kids over for dinner. That alone will probably freak them out, they will know something is up...

I just feel so bad. Mostly for my kids, who grew up with this cat, they are young adults now, I think that this will be quite a blow for them. Our dog died a few years ago, and that was devestating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 PM

2,540 posts, read 5,819,616 times
I feel your pain, Jasper. That's the saddest part about owning a pet, having to say goodbye too soon. Sure, we can remind ourselves about all of the love and joy they gave to us. That doesn't make letting go any easier. As they age, the good always seems to outweigh any bad they may have brought to our lives. What we took for granted when they were young now seems to be a moment we want to forever etch in our memory. We have to remind ourselves that we have given our pets the best years ever. I'm sure your Beau knows how much he is loved. Just know that you gave him 16 loving years that he may not have had. In turn, he worked his way into 16 years of your heart and will forever leave his little purrprints behind.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
bjh

42,637 posts, read 26,631,081 times
Focus on the positive side of things, like the fact that you rescued him and gave him a much better life than he would have had otherwise.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 PM

I am just really worried about my daughter, this is her cat, has always been with her...since she was 3. No matter where she lived, she had her cat, he flew with her, went on trips with her, just she is at college this year...so he stayed home. She just started...this is really going to be hard on her. I think that has me more upset than anything else...dealing with the pain that your children have when their pets die. This is going to be very hard. I wanted to just keep paying the money to make him well, just for her. If I could have, I would have...

Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,848,441 times
I'm so sorry your family is having to go through this.

If I could change one thing about Sabers' last few days (I wish someone had clued US in, he was showing all the signs, but they just kept throwing medicine and blood tests at him, He actually had a dental cleaning scheduled, that I cancelled, 2 days before I helped him pass!? I could tell he wasn't up to it, why couldn't anyone else?

I think you are being very kind by not putting Beau through any more vet visits.

There is a CD of harp music designed to relieve stress and also to aid in end of life transitioning (originally for people) that will help not only Beau, but the entire family
Dr. Diane Schneider is affiliated with the Mayo Clinic.

Diane Schneider's Harp of Hope

You can download it from itunes, I'm sure there are other ways to quickly acquire this music.

OH, FYI you can also "preview" the songs on both Harp of Hope CD's ~ (animal edition is the same music as the original, for people CD) on itunes. It has a pretty good running time, I'm not sure if Maximum benefit can be achieved but the effect is noticeable.

The one thing I wouldn't change: Having a vet come to our house was the easiest way for Saber.

You raise amazing, well traveled, confidant cats, I'm sure your children are just as amazing.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,011,791 times
This is one of my favorite stories and certainly relates to your adult children. We lost 3 cats within a month and needed to be reminded that our furry familiy members were only loaned to us. However, we learned so much from them.

You have chosen tears - poem

Old 09-08-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks you guys. This is so hard.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM

19,859 posts, read 61,530,873 times
It is the last best thing we can for for our fur-babies - to let them go in dignity, peace, and as pain-free as possible. I have held a LOT of paws over the years and it is as said, just like going to sleep. Tell your DD that he will be running the great catnip fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. <<hugs>>

Old 09-08-2011, 07:31 PM

Well, we are not really sure what to do with him, the whole logistics of this is quite upsetting. And of course, no one prepares for this...it just happens. Yes, we knew he was an older cat, but we never really thought out the "funeral arrangements". This whole thing is just beyond me. I don't know what to do...this is way too much drama. We are waiting until Friday to tell our kids, I will go down to be with my daughter at school, I told her I would drive down...she thinks that is rather odd, but I told her I just wanted to her apartment. I am not going to just tell her this on the phone. As for my sons, well...they are older...but still, sixteen years is a long time to have a pet. We had our dog for thirteen years.

This is just so upsetting. You just think that they will go on forever...he was getting to be a bit grumpy, a bit deaf, a bit blind...but I just never really thought of the end...

Thanks...

Old 09-08-2011, 09:03 PM

990 posts, read 1,610,109 times
remember the good times and know that we all hope to out live our pets -even if it hurts we love them so much- god bless i knows how you feel i have had many pets over the years and it is very hard when they have grown up with your children-give it alittle time and go out and get another one to love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge