Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,289,165 times

Advertisements

A couple months ago, I started a thread about inappetence in older dogs. I thought it was finickiness. I took Bandit to the vet in early August for a full physical exam and blood work. Everything checked out fine -- absolutely no irregularities. Bandit HAD lost about 3 pounds since our previous visit there in March, but as I discussed his inappetence with the vet, she pointed out that he was no longer on the Phenobarb for his epilepsy, and Phenobarb stimulates the appetite. So that could account for some of the food issues. Seemed reasonable, especially in light of his clear exam and blood work.

Long story short: The inappetence continued off and on throughout September, occasionally worsening into full-blown anorexia (meaning, he wasn't eating ANYTHING). He had follow-up visits -- blood work, abdominal ultrasound, lymph node biopsies -- on October 9 and October 16. He has lymphoma, but it is ripping through is body like a tornado, he's almost entirely unresponsive to drug treatment, and he's losing weight every day.

I will be euthanizing him soon, but I don't know exactly when that will be. He is eating a little, but not very much. Not enough to sustain him, or regain the weight he has lost. (So far, 10 pounds since March.)

I am on vacation until November 26th and am happy that I will get to spend that time with him. I don't know when I will do the euthanasia. It depends entirely on Bandit: how much he eats, how he seems to be doing, if he seems to be in pain at all (which he doesn't, at the moment, although I do think he has some discomfort). His 11th birthday is December 15, and there is this irrational part of me that wants him to make it at least that long. But I can't make that a goal, because honestly, I'm not sure he will last another 4 weeks.

I'm stunned by how quickly this is all happening.

It's been a really rough few days. I feel like I've been crying since Saturday. I accept this outcome. Death is part of life, and I know that. And I'm incredibly grateful that we have the ability to chose a painless, graceful exit for our beloved friends. Making that decision for Bandit is both my duty, as his mom, and also my privilege. But the sadness has me by the throat at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times
Ohhhhh!!! Nooooooooooooooooo!!!! (It's not just an emoticon. I really am crying.)

I have nothing to say. I just wish that I could hug you.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM

7,889 posts, read 12,593,914 times
Enjoy the time you have left and remember you will be together again at the bridge.

The last dog I had to help leave suffered from kidney failure and I let her tell me when it was time. I was so glad I had the strength to look into her eyes as she left. She knew I was there for her until the end, I do hope that in some way we will meet again when I pass.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,007,848 times
I am so very sorry.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,753,070 times
I am so very sorry, I just had to put my 18 year old Shih Tzu down, boy....that was hard, yet I know that I made the right decision.

Enjoy your vacation with your furry friend, it is a special time that you will always remember.

Sending cyber hugs your way!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,468,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Making that decision for Bandit is both my duty, as his mom, and also my privilege.

Beautifully said.

Hugs to you and Bandit.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 AM
ZSP

1,764 posts, read 5,096,670 times
I'm so sorry about your Bandit. Your love and devotion for him shows clearly in your post and yes, that's why you'll help with this final act....when the time comes. Will be thinking of you and Bandit.

Grief is the price we pay for love...

Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
Sorry to hear this. I remember your post about Bandit, as I had just put our Cleo to sleep on July 31. Enjoy your time together and he'll let you know when.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 AM

6,451 posts, read 6,605,300 times
Awwww.....I literally have goose bumps and tear-filled eyes just reading this. I know there is nothing I can say that could begin to take away your pain, but please know that other dog lovers understand and are thinking of you. Things you learn and share from this experience may end up helping some of us in the future when we face the same situation. (((Hugs to you and to Bandit)))

Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
And I'm incredibly grateful that we have the ability to chose a painless, graceful exit for our beloved friends.
I've been thinking about you and Bandit since I read your initial post last night. I was too choked up to write anything worthwhile yesterday but this morning I read your post again. The line that I quoted above stuck out for me because it's what I always say and think when someone has to let their dog go.

We have this ability -- this honor! -- to release our dogs from pain. We don't have that for ourselves or for our human family members, but we have this GIFT that we can give to our dogs. I say that it's a gift because it is. All their lives, while they're with us, they give us the gift of love. And we return that gift of love. And this -- being able to let them leave us with grace, with dignity, without pain -- is our one final gift of love to them.

And all that said, even when Bandit goes, he will continue to love you in his heart, just as you will continue to love him in yours. That gift of love never stops giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge