U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 PM

4,402 posts, read 12,450,080 times

Advertisements

2 years ago today, I had to put my William to sleep. He was an amazing black and white cat who had allowed me to be around for over 10 years. He was also my "first" cat. I had other pets before him, but they were family pets. William was my cat, and mine alone. He was special, brave and loving to the end. My fiancee believes, as do I, that William was comforting me at the end, as he cuddled up and put his face in the crook of my elbow...just like he always did when I was upset. I was holding him when he passed. I don;t regret a minute of the special relationship we shared, but I miss him everyday...even after 2 years.

Love you, Willikins
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 AM

7,329 posts, read 14,613,911 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and William had a very special bond. Rejoice in all the special memories you have of him. ((Hugs))

Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM

19,864 posts, read 60,163,974 times
William is running the great catnip fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. Many of my guys were there to greet him and play.<<hugs>>

Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM

27,090 posts, read 7,984,159 times
Cat people understand your pain...sorry for your loss of little William. I still think of those of mine that have been gone many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
2 years ago today, I had to put my William to sleep. He was an amazing black and white cat who had allowed me to be around for over 10 years. He was also my "first" cat. I had other pets before him, but they were family pets. William was my cat, and mine alone. He was special, brave and loving to the end. My fiancee believes, as do I, that William was comforting me at the end, as he cuddled up and put his face in the crook of my elbow...just like he always did when I was upset. I was holding him when he passed. I don;t regret a minute of the special relationship we shared, but I miss him everyday...even after 2 years.

Love you, Willikins

Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM

568 posts, read 874,029 times
I still miss my sweet kitty after seven years...we would go nite-nite together and I miss that unconditional love. Pets are special, especially cats. My thoughts are with you.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Thanks everyone. It helps having others understand. I miss William daily, but for some reason the anniversary of the day just makes it worse.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
I still miss my sweet kitty after seven years...we would go nite-nite together and I miss that unconditional love. Pets are special, especially cats. My thoughts are with you.
Thanks. I think I knew I would always miss him, as we were so close, but am surprised by how much.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
William is running the great catnip fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. Many of my guys were there to greet him and play.<<hugs>>
This is making me teary. But I love the thought of him being welcomed by other kitties who wanted to play. And I love the thought of him running, as he was sick at the end and knowing that he is happy, running and playing, it helps.

And he was helplessly addicted to catnip, LOL...so I am sure that made him happy.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM

4,821 posts, read 12,155,838 times
It wouldn't be normal to NOT have stronger feelings on an anniversary. For as long as I have a functioning memory I'll recall the day Weasie was added to my household (12/04/92) as well as the day I helped her leave the pain and deterioration brought on by liver cancer behind (01/14/12.) But I've moved on past intensive grieving into a state of nostalgia which will probably be permanent. And a successor cat ("Blaliko" - see separate threads) appears to be waiting in the wings.
My concern for the OP lies in wondering whether "still missing" means mired in sadness or whether it refers to the same nostalgia I'll always have for Weasie. One is normal and healthy, the other - after two years - not so much.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
It wouldn't be normal to NOT have stronger feelings on an anniversary. For as long as I have a functioning memory I'll recall the day Weasie was added to my household (12/04/92) as well as the day I helped her leave the pain and deterioration brought on by liver cancer behind (01/14/12.) But I've moved on past intensive grieving into a state of nostalgia which will probably be permanent. And a successor cat ("Blaliko" - see separate threads) appears to be waiting in the wings.
My concern for the OP lies in wondering whether "still missing" means mired in sadness or whether it refers to the same nostalgia I'll always have for Weasie. One is normal and healthy, the other - after two years - not so much.
Nostalgia. But I appreciate your concern. I also have another cat whom I adore, for all the ways he is different than William and for all the ways he is similar, as there are some things cats just do. I also credit William for my being able to love another cat, because the bond I had with William was so strong, I was able to let go of his loss and also was able to open my heart to another cat. I know I will lose Maxwell at some point, but the love William shared with me makes me willing to risk the pain of the eventual loss for the joy while Maxwell (the "new" cat) is with me. William taught me that the pain at the end is worth it because of what you gain in all the times before the end.

I am just still surprised to find myself tearing up when I think of him on the anniversary of his death. Most of the time, I think of him with laughter (he was a grumpy old man his whole life) but the anniversary of his death was sadder than I anticipated it being.

Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge