U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 PM

95 posts, read 234,273 times

Advertisements

Hi, I posted yesterday re a friend's cat who is sadly going to be put to sleep tomorrow to prevent further suffering due to a terminal illness. Does anyone have experience or knowledge re whether it's best to pre-sedate (a cat) before the lethal injection, or not?

I have been reading about and found opinions going both ways...
If you have any experience with this issue would you please share, to make kitty's time tomorrow go as smoothly as possible.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 PM

14,174 posts, read 24,579,616 times
I had to put my dog down a week ago, and they did the sedation first. It seems like this would be more humane... otherwise, wouldn't it be like experiencing a heart attack?

After giving my dog the sedation, at first she seemed to perk up. I took her outside to carry her around in my arms, and it was like all the pain was gone. Then they had to give her a second sedation shot. That's when she started breathing heavy a little, started looking all around the room. I believe that's when the death process started for her. After the final shots (they go into a catheder), she just stopped breathing.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 PM

8,381 posts, read 14,487,350 times
With my kitty Satay, they didn't sedate first. She was just lying down, extremely weak from being very ill, and I was petting her and talking to her (and it's been 6-1/2 years but I just started crying remembering ). She died very peacefully after being administered the euthanasia drug(s). With Satay's litter mate Mabel, who died a year and a half after Satay, they DID sedate her first as she was clearly very upset and scared in the vet's office (and was having a HORRIBLE time breathing, which is why she was at the vet's to begin with). The sedation calmed her down but she was still awake and could feel me stroking her and hear me talking to her. She, too, then died very peacefully.

Mabel was always very skittish, especially around people she didn't know well, so the sedation was necessary for her. Satay didn't need it.

I would say, go with your gut when you are at the vet's. And good luck to you and your friend ... I know how incredibly hard this is. Talk to the kitty and pet her to her last breath. I know it's very hard to be there, but my kitties are with me through thick and thin and the least I can do is be with them during their final moments.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM

Default Abdominal(IP) v. vein injection for cat?

Can anyone please tell me if they have any experience/knowledge with whether an injection via the tummy (intraperitoneal / IP) or via the leg vein of a cat is likely the more humane procedure for a cat? I got 2 completely opposite views from 2 vet offices on this.

Deverian and Karen thanks very much for your quick replies. I am sorry for both your losses, this is all-around terribly hard.

I will write more later, just down to the wire dealing with the arrangements now... We have changed from vet office to a home visit, but now trying to decided best procedure per title above.

Thank you.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 AM

14,174 posts, read 24,579,616 times
I have no idea on a cat, but they had put a catheder in my dog to administer the medication. I didn't really pay attention to where it was inserted.

I know the pain... it is extremely hard. From my own experience and that of others I've talked to, the first couple days are the most difficult after putting a pet down. You could have handed me $10 million and I wouldn't have cared. I guess it was just the grief. Now I have moments here and there where I think of my Bella and cry or feel bad, but I'm able to function and get on with life. Just know you're doing the right thing and you'll be ok. So will your loving pet.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,039,718 times
All of my dogs and cats have had the leg IV and it did not seem to be painful. I was there stroking and talking. Very peaceful. Never heard of the abdominal way.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:06 AM

9,353 posts, read 18,119,361 times
I would recommend sedation.... it is my understanding that sometimes the euth drugs can be painful as they enter the body..... and I also recommend the leg cath.....

my little max-cat went to the bridge last year.... he was sedated and went peacefully to sleep with his head resting in my hand and me whispering in his ear before the euth drug was administered.....

Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 PM

Hi everyone. We did end up going with the leg vein injection, preceded by sedation. It went as well as these things can go I guess - the initial sedation seemed to put her out completely so that the final injection wasn't a struggle thankfully. Kitty's mom did hold her, stroke her & talk to her all the way through.

The procedure was done at home by an open window with a nice breeze, which I think made a huge difference than if it had been at a vet's office. In fact, I felt able to attend as a result, whereas the idea of the vet's office felt very wrong in this instance. Well none of it feels quite 'right' really, but I suppose it saved unnecessary suffering as intended. I sure wish we could ask animals what they want & when. All we can do though is be the absolute best guardians for them in their individual circumstances. It is a tough situation that deserves a lot of thought and effort.

Thank you all very much for your advice and support. Only other animal lovers understand how much pets mean.

(Denverian I know your dog's passing was recent also, wishing you the best in your recovery...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge