U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:47 PM

3,604 posts, read 11,380,720 times

Advertisements

He was thrown away. That at least we can be sure of. The area of rural Georgia where we were living didn't have a large enough human population for a "stray" puppy to just appear that far from town. Someone opened a car door and dumped him out to fend for himself. At only around 6 months old, he was scared, hungry, thirsty and very unsure when we stopped our truck on the side of that road to help him.

If he had any extra weight on him, he would have looked like a bear cub. He was all black and you could see that a lot of Lab was in his genes. We got him back to the farm and got him cleaned up and fed. Someone had also chopped off his tail. We will never know the reason for that cruelty but the little stump that was left kept a steady beat back and forth while we tended to him that first day, and for the rest of his life. The final test was if our Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Maggie would accept him. It was mutual love at first sight. We had a new puppy and he had a new home

We named him "Gator" for his tendency to put anything and everything, including human body parts, into his mouth. As he grew and filled out, his sense of fun and adventure grew with him. As much as he loved to run and play, he would never go so far as to be out of my sight. Its almost as if he couldn't be sure that I would still be there when he came back. Years passed and other dogs came and unfortunately also left us in their own time. With each, Gator was there to comfort me, resting his head on my lap and nosing my hand whenever I cried. His big amber eyes always seemed so wise, his touch so comforting.

He turned 14 not too long ago. Arthritis had kept him from running or climbing stairs for a few years now. His eyes were clouded with cataracts and his walks were now limited to only one house down and back. Yes, he had a lot of medical issues and we treated him every morning and night with medication to keep him comfortable. Then the day before yesterday, he suddenly laid down while out on his walk. As I carried him back to the house he whimpered, I realized just how frail my boy had gotten. As I put him down on his dog bed, the love was in his eyes as always but there was something else there too. He was telling me it was time to let him go.

Gator left me yesterday while I cradled him gently in my arms. As I let him slip away from the pain he had lived with, I murmured my thanks to him for all he had done for me in our 14 years together. Sleep well my sweet boy. If its at all possible, I will be with you again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:19 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,695,529 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. May Gator rest in peace, as his life was filled with love from the time you found him.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:52 PM

7,329 posts, read 14,588,895 times
That was a beautiful tribute, Va-cat. You know you have my deepest sympathies. RIP Gator.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,092,806 times
So sorry for your loss. I believe he is now running the great fields of the sky, happy and healthy with lots of new friends. My Pete and Alixe were among many who greeted him. ((Hugs))

Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM

2,888 posts, read 5,848,781 times
Va-cat -

Gator was thrown into your life for a reason - he was lucky to have you.

Hugs for being there for him.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,265,345 times
I too am sorry, I know how difficult it is to lose your furry friend.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 PM

26,031 posts, read 19,170,929 times
I'm so glad you saved him, VA-Cat. You gave that boy the most wonderful gift anyone in this world can give: Unconditional love.

You made a huge difference to another living, breathing creature. For that, you will always be blessed.

RIP Gator, you were truly loved.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,688,477 times
That was beautiful. He was a lucky dog, and it sounds as if you were blessed to have him, too. I am sorry that you had to do this difficult, last thing for him, but if he understood, I'm sure he'd have been grateful.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM

26 posts, read 107,634 times
I am so very sorry Va-Cat, I am all teary eyed after reading this. It is never ever easy to let them go. We have personally had to give up 3 mini schnauzers over the years due to old age & other ailments. We love our dogs & they love us. I just know in my heart your Gator knew how much you loved him & it sounds like you gave him a wonderful life.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,576,539 times
VA-Cat .. you made me cry .. .. ::sighs:; we lose the things we love way to soon ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge