U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 06:07 PM

4,348 posts, read 6,266,254 times

Advertisements

Maxie was old-at least 20 years old and she just wore out. She stopped eating Monday and my daughters and me knew we had to do what was best for Maxie. That's a hard part of being a pet owner, knowing when you have to do what you don't want to do.

I made the appointment with the vet and the emotions started-guilt (maybe I did something wrong) grief (she'd been a family member for a long time) indifference ("What do I care? It's just a cat") back to grief and guilt and finally acceptance.

We saw the vet today and we asked for a quick check to make sure we had made the right decision. We had-renal failure.

Sweet Maxie was laid on a nice soft blanket, given an injection and she passed peacefully. Just like that.

But something miraculous also happened today -my vet is located across the street from a Lutheran church and almost to the second that Maxie passed, the chimes started to ring out the melody signaling the hour change. The chimes rang out 12 mournful times, stopped, and then played a beautiful hymn. I've been going to this vet for 14 years and have never heard those chimes until today.

Take from this what you may, call me a sentimentalist, but I believe in my heart this was a sign for me and my daughters that all will be well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:34 PM

12,054 posts, read 21,726,027 times
My condolences on the passing of your sweet Maxie. The chimes were her peaceful passage on to the Bridge where our Lucy, Lola, Pru, and Reggie, Grady, Oliver, and Blade await her.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,775,726 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's one of the hardest decisions to make being a pet owner, but know you did the right thing for Maxie. I too believe that was a sign.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM

19,859 posts, read 61,463,220 times
So sorry for your loss. I believe she is now running the great catnip fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. My Buster and Katrina were there to show her around.{{hugs}}

Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,004,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Take from this what you may, call me a sentimentalist, but I believe in my heart this was a sign for me and my daughters that all will be well.
I call you a person with a heart of gold. Maxie is just letting you know how much she appreciated your love and attention. She is also reminding you of the compassion that you have passed on to your girls.

A big hug for all of you.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:53 PM

4,348 posts, read 6,266,254 times
Thank you all for your kind words-the compassion of strangers reminds me that the world is truly a blessed place.

It's been a week and I still can't bring myself to get rid of Maxie's personal effects ( an old pair of my flip flops she loved to destroy, a clean litter box sitting in the spot it's occupied for years), but that will come in time.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,004,317 times
No need to rush. The absence of the items often amplifies the void. Take some time to jot down your memories from those 20+ years. It's hard at first, but really helps trigger those warm fuzzies.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM

37,353 posts, read 66,911,729 times
I'm very sorry. 20 years is a good, long life for your Maxie. As a pet parent, you "done good" -- especially at the end, when she needed you most. Peace to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge