Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Why do I continue to read these threads - I am about to start crying at work.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Because we all know some day it will be us.....

Or, worse some of our pets will our live us...then what????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
I am so sorry your vet failed to explain the procedure to you, letting you know what to expect. We lost our 14-year old boy a month ago, also to bone cancer, which had been presumed to be bad arthritis until the day he died when X-rays showed cancer.

Our vet thoroughly explained what we would see in our dog and how both injections worked. He said Jimmy's eyes might remain open after death (one did, and one closed) and also that moments after death, they sometimes heave a very heavy last breath. That did not happen. I think our vet made it as comfortable a procedure as is possible, but I don't look forward to going through that again. My condolences for your great loss.

Please don't feel like you failed Coach. That was the greatest and last act of love you gave him.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Having had 2 rescue greys and sharing my life with them for 12 and 8 years, my heart is with you. They are simply THE BEST!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
am so sorry. a faithful friend.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a difficult decision to make but the final loving one all pet owners must face. It sounds like your boy was well loved and I'm sure he knew that.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM

302 posts, read 474,167 times
I, too, have shared my life with a greyhound. We adopted Merlyn when he was two, and he was my best pal for over 10 years. I was the center of his universe, and I was honored that he was a part of my life. He got cancer, and we saved him. Surgeries, blood transfusions, whatever we could do to save him. He lasted a couple of more years, and then started to get really sick. Panting, racing heart, just not his typical sweet self. I was in denial, and refused to see how much he was suffering until he started vomiting blood. We took him in that afternoon to the vet to be put to sleep. He adored the assistant at the vet, so I know he was loved very much in his last moments.

I couldn't be there for him at the end, not in any way that would have comforted him. I tried that once before with my beloved cat, Ollie, who at four years old got lymphoma. There was no way to save him even if we had all the money in the world. I stayed in the room with Ollie, I felt I owed it to him, but I was so upset all I could do was cry hysterically. I don't think that helped him much. The vet had me turn around when the time came, and I heard Ollie cry/scream when they stuck the needle in, and heard it slowly fade away as his life left him. They left me in the room with him after, and his eyes were open. I could see that there was no more pain in those beautiful green eyes. I hugged his still warm body and cried and thanked him for being my kitty. I couldn't breathe from the grief. When I finally left the room I was screaming, and I ran out of the vet's office crying hysterically.

After that, I realized that this was just something I could never do again. The last thing I want to do is make someone I love's last moments more stressful because of my own grief.

I don't think anyone can truly know how it feels for them during the procedure, but I do know that ending their suffering is the right thing to do. I understood that when I saw the peace in Ollie's eyes. I have a great deal of respect for those who can be there with their pets when the time comes, but some of us don't have that strength. That doesn't mean we love them any less.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
So sorry for your loss. I believe he is now running the great fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. My pete and Alixe were there to greet him. <<hugs>>

Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
Sorry for the loss- know Coach loved his family dearly. And he will always be remembered for the good he brought to your family.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM

297 posts, read 502,596 times
I am so sorry for your loss. I have had 4 Greyhounds and recently lost one to bone cancer as well, It's an awful disease. My heart breaks for you.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Why do I continue to read these threads - I am about to start crying at work.
I am so sorry for your loss.
My hubby asks me that about every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge