U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:06 PM

6,737 posts, read 6,674,736 times

Advertisements

I had to do what I never wanted to do.

I held him in my arms when the vet and asst. walked into my living room. He barked once but no struggle to get out of my arms. He never would have put up with strangers in the room before this. He did not react when he received the sedative shot in the butt. In about 3 minutes he was asleep in my arms. I put him flat on the couch(on a pad the vet brought) and moved to hold his head and give the vet room. He got the final shot and was gone in a minute or so. I kissed him goodbye. The vet was a very kind and compassionate man. He described everything before it happened. No pain, except for my own. I haven't cried like that in 50 years. He wrapped up the dog and carried him out. I decided against keeping his ashes even though I always thought that I would. When the van drove away I waved to my friend for the last time.

Why am I writing this? I wanted my best friend to die at home in familiar surroundings, on the couch we napped on. Not in a strange clinical place. It did cost a fair amount ($380) but it is also the last money I will ever spend on my friend. I just want people to consider this when they have to make the decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 05:47 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,512,825 times
Thinking of you. You did the right thing and were there for them when it counted.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 PM

2,339 posts, read 3,046,180 times
Finding it difficult to type words here because too many tears are rolling down my face. I am thinking of you and your beloved friend this evening too, and remembering how hard it was for me to perform the same kindness to my two dear dogs. Take extra good care of yourself.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:50 PM

977 posts, read 1,020,580 times
This is one of the most difficult decisions we ever have to make as "pet parents" and I commend you for it, as I've done it, too and was also heartbroken. I think it's so much easier for the dog if it can be done at home in familiar surroundings. Not everyone can afford to do it that way, and not every vet offers that service, but i was glad mine did. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how painful it is to say good-bye. (((hugs)))

Old 10-20-2013, 07:04 PM

6,045 posts, read 9,840,180 times
Smile Prayers for you and your best friend

We had to do this back on 02/18/2013 for our Murphy. He told us it was time - he had quit eating and drinking but still wanted to please. My husband carried him outside to do his business and he did.

We used Lap of Love - it was done at our home with our son present also and our other Sheltie too - so compassionate and really was the right thing to do.

He did let us know.

We miss him every day (his picture still on my profile) - he was an oversized Sheltie - 55 pounds of goofiness and pure love.

We have gotten a new puppy (Chase) who is full of life and love and seems so happy. It helps.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,655 times
My heart goes out to you.

We did the same for my 17-year-old cat. He was an old man, lived his life in full. When the vet came to our house, we stroked him while he laid, and passed, in his favorite chair.

I hope you can take comfort in knowing that your friend went as we all hope we can: in the arms of those we love. It was good of you to do that for him, regardless of cost. Will be thinking of you.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:47 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,170,619 times
Sorry for your loss. When I put down my lab, I said that I would never go through that again. After a little over a year, I got a new one. I know that I'll be in the same boat in about 12 years, but there isn't a more loyal companion. I love my dog more than most people. Hang in there.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 PM

6,045 posts, read 9,840,180 times
Smile Dogs are so cool.....

When I go home at night, I've got 2 happy looking tail wagers smiling right at me. I just forget everything but those are #4 and #5 (Madison and Chase).

Each day, we always remember the other 3. They are all so different and funny in the stuff they do. I've loved them all and can't imagine living without a 4 legged companion.

Fortunately, our kids both love dogs too and our son is buying his first place. One of his first possessions will be a dog. Unfortunately, he's got a 30 pound limit, otherwise, a lab would be at the top of his list.

They exhibit so many qualities that our fellow humans should carry.

So sorry for your loss once again.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:35 AM

332 posts, read 447,795 times
I'm really sorry. I've been there and it hurts so much. At least you can say that he had a good life and was loved.

All the best.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 AM

4,929 posts, read 4,604,491 times
I am so sorry for your loss, from my own personal experience I think we (animal lovers) can all say how very difficult it is to let go of these wonderful beings. Cherish your memories knowing what a good caretaker you were...up to the very end.

Peace be with you thinkalot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge