U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 AM

20 posts, read 179,050 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your comforting words. They really make me feel more at ease.

Katie's vet received a fax from the emergency vet informing him of Katie's passing and he just called me. He said that he never suggested a euthanasia for Katie because until recently, she was responsive to the meds and treatments. In the last few days, her body just stopped responding. He said that supports me in my decision. I asked him if he'd put her down if I came to his office last Saturday (if they were opened), and he said he would. This was very comforting, because I know him for years and I know that he is very opposed to putting pets down unnecessarily.

Three Wolves In Snow, yes I was so hysterical at the vet's office that I got a fever from it. I can honestly say that this was one of the worst days of my life. My dogs are very important to me (I have two other dogs). They are family. I lost a family member and it's very painful. :'(

Last edited by Sabina02; 11-18-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 05:12 PM

857 posts, read 1,972,661 times
It seems you went over and above board to keep your Katie and Yes you made the right decision.
How lucky she was to be so loved.

We lost one of our dogs suddenly last month and I think if I had seem certain signs earlier I could have saved her and I beat myself up and miss her.

I heard someone say that terrible grief comes from loving someone or some animal so much.
Yet none of us would give up the love.

Yes, once again you did the right thing.
Bless you.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM

295 posts, read 1,137,775 times
I have heard it said it is far better to release our four-legged friends too soon, than to release them even one day too late. Through experience, I believe that is true.

Sabina, please remember it is ALL about quality of life - caring enough to put their best interests ahead of our own, and ultimately releasing them with love and grace and dignity even though it hurts to our core when they journey to the Bridge.

Yes, you made the right choice, and Katie is grateful you were strong for her. She will be waiting at the Bridge for you.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,584,968 times
You absolutely did the right/best thing for your beloved dog. Katie was suffering and you did the kind thing and let her suffering end. Thank you for loving her enough to let her go. I know it's hard, but you did the right thing. Hugs.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,469,572 times
my chf'er died at home and was on the same regiment as yours, I did not do the O2 and he just kept slowing down, finally one day just walked out of the kennel laid down and died. He was 16.
If I had seen him suffering as yours did I would have done the same thing. The sudden loss is what you will have to mourn...don't second guess yourself, you did him a favor. Take care. Suffering is not a good thing, we can't tell them what is happening.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 PM

20 posts, read 179,050 times
I'm so glad I found this forum, as your posts really help me deal with the loss of my little girl. I come here every few hours to read all the new posts and I'm thankful for each one of them. I think if it weren't for you, I would drive myself insane. I have a great support from my family, but they are also devastated in this difficult time.

Many of you have experienced the loss of your beloved pet and I too am sorry for your loss. I really do hope that we will meet our babies someday again at the rainbow bridge. I know I have to, because I made a promise to Katie right before her passing that we were going to meet again on the other side, and I have to keep that promise.

Last edited by Sabina02; 11-18-2013 at 10:08 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 PM

5,807 posts, read 9,431,527 times
Smile So many of us know how you feel....

On my profile, the large one is our Murphy - he passed away 02/18/2013 and people told us he will tell you. We had "Lap of Love" come to our home, our children and our other Sheltie were there, all petting him. He had quit eating and drinking 5 days before. He was the best boy.

You did the right thing. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about our Murph. He had so much life into our home and was such a goofball. He was in pain and tried to tell us.

Some of my neighbors called me later that night to tell me that our 2 children (in their 20's) had both posted pictures and tributes to Murphy and how they loved him on their Facebook pages.

You did the right thing. Katie looks like a sweetheart.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 PM
ZSP

1,620 posts, read 4,542,732 times
I pray you may find comfort in these few words...and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Grieve not or speak of me with tears,
but laugh and speak of me as
if I were beside you....
I loved you so - 'twas Heaven
here with you

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,924,789 times
Today I made the same decision for Bruno. I don't know exactly what was wrong with him, he had Cushings disease but that's not fatal, it's annoying. The vet believes he had cancer. Whatever he had, he lost about 10 pounds in less than 4 months - he was a chocolate lab and weighed 90 pounds in July. He had a tumor on his ear and other issues as well so when I took him to see the vet today for all his problems the vet started that conversation and when I asked how long? He said, 'today,' so I agreed.

Like you I thought about what I might have done differently, but Bru wasn't really 'my' dog, he belonged more to my brother. He was a great dog, he was funny and kind and I'm going to miss him. I wish he'd had a better life but there are no words for how grateful I am at how easy his end was.

I still don't like having the responsibility of making that choice, why today and not yesterday or tomorrow? I am glad that I didn't take him with that as my intention, that made it a bit easier but it still weighs heavily on me.

I am not dwelling on it however, when those thoughts come I focus my thoughts on memories of Bru that I especially like. He was a funny dog, he liked to bring me toys and fake growl at me which made Judy crazy. He also found a baby mocking bird and brought it unharmed to my friend. He'd often grab the leash when I walked him, playing with me as we went on our way. He was a sweet, funny boy and while I'll miss him I'm glad he'll not be ill or in pain.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,469,572 times
If this would help anyone my vet once told me that the long life that dogs have now just makes them more susceptible to disease. Their long life also is a testament to good dog ownership so a bit of a double sword.
If you loved your dog your heart can love another, save a life and adopt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge