U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,924,789 times

Advertisements

Mt7 that's a good point. We can't get another dog until Judy is gone, she wouldn't tolerate it but otherwise as soon as my grief was eased I would.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:37 AM

3,339 posts, read 8,326,184 times
First, I am so very sorry for your loss. Katie reminds me so much of our first family dog, Liza, such a great girl and such a soulful face. How hard this must be for you.

Secondly -- both Katie and you went through so much this past year, so many medications and procedures and frightening episodes. She clearly was declining and was in distress and it sounds like you really went to the mat for her. You absolutely did what was best for her, and now she lives on in your heart.

We lost a dog during the holidays last year, an especially difficult time. I feel for you and hope you can find some comfort knowing Katie is at peace.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:52 AM

20 posts, read 179,050 times
Bette and Orion2, I am truly sorry for the loss of your sweet boys - Murphy and Bruno. I wish you didn't have to go through what I'm going through right now.

ZSP, your poems are really beautiful, thank you for sharing them. They made me very emotional.

Mt-7, Katie was an adopted dog. She was 8 years old when I brought her home. She has been at a shelter for quite sometime, until we finally adopted her in July 2009. Before she was surrendered to the shelter, she was abused (How could they?). I gave her lots of love and made her forget that horrible past. As much as I want to adopt another dog and save a soul, I have to wait a while with that. I am just not ready for it right now. Especially that I do have two other dogs at home and that would be too much for them to handle in such a short time.

TinaMcG, losing a dog during the holidays is even harder, not that it's ever easy, but the holidays are supposed to be joyful, happy moments. I am really sorry.

Thank you all again for all the comforting words. Nothing can take my pain away, but your posts bring me some relief.

Last edited by Sabina02; 11-19-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 09:27 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,924,789 times
Sabrina, thank you for your kind words. Only time will take our pain away, until then we can seek comfort from one another and knowing that we gave our fur friends the best life possible while they were with us.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Sabrina, thank you for your kind words. Only time will take our pain away, until then we can seek comfort from one another and knowing that we gave our fur friends the best life possible while they were with us.
Yes, and thank you for being here for me.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 12,152,830 times
It sucks when this happens, but you did pretty much all you could and sounds like kept he from too much suffering. Its so easy to keep pushing and think you are not doing all you can.

I've been facing a similar decision coming soon as we have a dog who will be 13 in December that has had cancer for more than 4 years. Short story is she had surgery to remove the initial cancer, but has had relapses on and off over the years and needed various chemo drug therapies to keep them in check (trying not to overtake your thread, but she has been on at least 6 different Chemo drugs at various times in the last 4 years and has had to take up to 10 pills in a day). Recently, she had another lymph node start to swell and this time the first and second drug cocktails did not work, but the corticosteroid part of the second try caused her to lose so much muscle she could hardly walk and I was afraid that at her rate of decline that in a few more days she would not have the strength to breathe.

We always said that as long as her quality of life was good we would treat her, so, my wife and I and the vet agreed to stop and its been about two months and she is so much better its amazing. She had a couple of rocky weeks initially when she had a corneal ulcer probably due to the immunosuppressive drugs where she was very close to not being able to be treated with drugs and without surgery on her eye, she would painfully lose it. We couldn't let that happen and it just did not seem prudent to spend another $2500 on surgery given her cancer status. Luckily, the drug therapy worked (had to give her 3 kinds of drops every hour or 3 hours at night for a few days).

Now, she is still doing well and is 90% of the dog she was before muscle-wise and getting stronger. The last checkup showed her lymph nodes still stable, but we know it is only a matter of time.

I have to constantly try to keep my own vanity and desire to try to make her better in check and hope to know when the right time actually is for her and not constantly chase the next possible therapy. (the one disadvantage to going to a Vet School for cancer treatments! They have plenty of things they are willing to try )

So, we just try to enjoy the time we have and not concentrate on every time she gets up funny and makes a noise and try to know that we have done all we could.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:19 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,267,748 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a very hard choice to make.
We had to put our goofy old lab, Joe, to sleep about a year ago. Our vet told us that when the bad days started outnumbering the good days, we had to make a decision. We still talk about Joe daily. We still occasionally wonder if we did the right thing. In the end, it was the kindest thing.
In my mind, it's all about quality of life. You did a kind thing for your pup.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:32 PM

23,572 posts, read 24,655,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina02 View Post
Thank you for all your responses. Yes, I was referring to you barndog when mentioning the 24 hr oxygen therapy that worked for 31 days. Today after work I'll stop by Katie's regular vet's office to the return pills that I have left. Last Monday, I bought a two month supply. Little did I know that she was gonna be gone 5 days later. They gave me one month supply initially, but I asked for a two month. I guess it was a wishful thinking on my part... :'( I will talk to the vet today and I will ask him if he thinks I made the right decision.

Why does this hurt so much? I am devastated. I have not slept or eaten since Katie's passing. I can't take it. She would've been with us for 4 years and 4 months today. She was wagging her tail to the very end, even when I was saying my last goodbyes to her. This makes it even harder to bear.

R.I.P. Katie [*]

2001 - 11/16/2013
what a beautiful girl Katie was, such expressive eyes. I think you did the right thing in ending her suffering, as hard as it may seem now, better one day too early than one day too late and put her through unnecessary suffering. Have been there more times than I care to recall and please take comfort in knowing that you did the best for her that you could.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM

TheotherMarie, Ghengis, thank you so much for your kind words.

Sherifftruman, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your girl and thank you for fighting for her.

Last edited by Sabina02; 11-19-2013 at 06:38 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 PM

I just came back from the vet's office, but Katie's vet was out. I spoke to his assistant, who said that Katie was struggling due to having fluid in her lungs, which could've been removed. She said that after stabilizing Katie, different meds could've been provided to stop the fluid leakage into her lungs. I don't know what to make of this. I really regret putting my baby to sleep now.

Are there any vets here, who can tell me the truth? I really want to know the truth, even if it's not what I want to hear. Please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge