Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:52 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times

Advertisements

Yes, you made the right decision. Part of being the human in a dog/human relationship is making the tough choices. You decided to put your friends best interests ahead of your own emotions. It was hard for you emotionally but you decided to help your friend leave rather than suffer so that you could hang on. I commend you for your humanity and your demonstrated love for the animal. You were willing to take the pain to relieve your friends pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina02 View Post
Thank you all for your comforting words. They really make me feel more at ease.

Katie's vet received a fax from the emergency vet informing him of Katie's passing and he just called me. He said that he never suggested a euthanasia for Katie because until recently, she was responsive to the meds and treatments. In the last few days, her body just stopped responding. He said that supports me in my decision. I asked him if he'd put her down if I came to his office last Saturday (if they were opened), and he said he would. This was very comforting, because I know him for years and I know that he is very opposed to putting pets down unnecessarily.

Three Wolves In Snow, yes I was so hysterical at the vet's office that I got a fever from it. I can honestly say that this was one of the worst days of my life. My dogs are very important to me (I have two other dogs). They are family. I lost a family member and it's very painful. :'(
Quote:
I just came back from the vet's office, but Katie's vet was out. I spoke to his assistant, who said that Katie was struggling due to having fluid in her lungs, which could've been removed. She said that after stabilizing Katie, different meds could've been provided to stop the fluid leakage into her lungs. I don't know what to make of this. I really regret putting my baby to sleep now.

Are there any vets here, who can tell me the truth? I really want to know the truth, even if it's not what I want to hear. Please!
How much schooling does a veterinary assistant receive?

I would trust what your veterinarian has already told you. You made the best decision.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times
My last peke had congestive heart failure, she was about 12 years old.....at first I gave her some medicine and
she seemed to be well for about 3 weeks, then she was struggling again...I don't know why, but I loved that dog
more than any I ever had....Putting her down was a hard decision but there really was no other choice but to let
her suffer longer....Sometimes the right choice is painful....I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM

20 posts, read 213,400 times
Wartrace, your post brought me a great relief, thank you so much.

Pekemom, and I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting.

Last edited by Sabina02; 11-19-2013 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
How much schooling does a veterinary assistant receive?

I would trust what your veterinarian has already told you. You made the best decision.
My first thought after speaking to the assistant was that the reason why the vet said he'd put her down was to make me feel better, as I was hysterically crying when talking to him on the phone. But you're right, I should trust the vet. I guess I like to pull myself into this guilt trip.

Last edited by Sabina02; 11-19-2013 at 08:42 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 08:18 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,353 times
Grrr. I'm just going to say what I'm thinking right now which is that every once in a while you run into a vet tech that deserves a punch in the teeth. And this is one of those occasions.

Unfortunately, I ran into a vet tech like that at Barnaby's euthanasia. In that case, the vet tech (who knew us from our years at the clinic and who had previously taken great care of him and was very affectionate with him) made the comment that euthanizing her dog had been much easier because it had been a clear decision. My reaction: What's not clear about this?! Do I have a choice?!?! TELL ME WHAT IT IS THEN!!!

Her careless words haunted me. Still do. When I talked to the vet who did the procedure that was one of the things I asked her about... and she was shocked to hear the tech had said that to me.

I agree with the others. I believe, with everything you have said here, that you can trust what your vet told you. Not only that, I believe you did the right thing as hard and awful as it was.

I'm so sorry, again, for your loss.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
Grrr. I'm just going to say what I'm thinking right now which is that every once in a while you run into a vet tech that deserves a punch in the teeth. And this is one of those occasions.

Unfortunately, I ran into a vet tech like that at Barnaby's euthanasia. In that case, the vet tech (who knew us from our years at the clinic and who had previously taken great care of him and was very affectionate with him) made the comment that euthanizing her dog had been much easier because it had been a clear decision. My reaction: What's not clear about this?! Do I have a choice?!?! TELL ME WHAT IT IS THEN!!!

Her careless words haunted me. Still do. When I talked to the vet who did the procedure that was one of the things I asked her about... and she was shocked to hear the tech had said that to me.

I agree with the others. I believe, with everything you have said here, that you can trust what your vet told you. Not only that, I believe you did the right thing as hard and awful as it was.

I'm so sorry, again, for your loss.
You are right, they should be careful about their choice of words, because these words can negatively impact the pet owners, which is what happened to us.

Thank you for being here for me barndog, it means a lot.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
I just came back from the vet's office, but Katie's vet was out. I spoke to his assistant, who said that Katie was struggling due to having fluid in her lungs, which could've been removed. She said that after stabilizing Katie, different meds could've been provided to stop the fluid leakage into her lungs. I don't know what to make of this. I really regret putting my baby to sleep now.

Are there any vets here, who can tell me the truth? I really want to know the truth, even if it's not what I want to hear. Please!
When you say, "assistant", do you mean the vet tech? OR do you mean another vet? If it was a vet tech, they were out of line, and I would make mention of that to your vet. Were they aware that you put your dog down, and then they said all of this? If so, make it well known to your vet how very unprofessional that behavior was. It is UNacceptable and INtolerable.

Vet techs are in school for a few years, poking needles in to stuffed animals. They do not have the authority to be talking to you like that. They are not the vet, they are making assumptions without the extended education, and the years of professional practice.

If it was another vet...talk to YOUR vet and let them know of the situation, and that the behavior was unprofessional. I can't believe another vet would talk to you like that, that's why I'm asking if it was a tech.

If you don't want to do it, give me their number, I WILL do it. That pisses me off.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
When you say, "assistant", do you mean the vet tech? OR do you mean another vet? If it was a vet tech, they were out of line, and I would make mention of that to your vet. Were they aware that you put your dog down, and then they said all of this? If so, make it well known to your vet how very unprofessional that behavior was. It is UNacceptable and INtolerable.

Vet techs are in school for a few years, poking needles in to stuffed animals. They do not have the authority to be talking to you like that. They are not the vet, they are making assumptions without the extended education, and the years of professional practice.

If it was another vet...talk to YOUR vet and let them know of the situation, and that the behavior was unprofessional. I can't believe another vet would talk to you like that, that's why I'm asking if it was a tech.

If you don't want to do it, give me their number, I WILL do it. That pisses me off.
Yes, she is the vet tech. She was aware that Katie was put down, but I specifically told her that I wasn't looking for consolation, but her honest opinion, even if it hurts.

I still have to talk to Katie's main vet tomorrow. I'll mention to him what his vet tech told me. We'll see how he's going to respond to that. Meanwhile, I'm still grieving, crying, not eating, not sleeping... My world just fell apart.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:54 AM

165 posts, read 322,959 times
OP, I am sorry for your loss. I can definitely say I know how you are feeling and I did not think I would ever feel this way about any animal I have ever owned. I found my furbaby dead yesterday and I am completely devastated. I suspected he was at the end stage of CHF sometime last week as he started coughing and I noticed all the signs/symptoms of the disease (tachycardia, weight loss, appetite loss, weakness, shortness of breath, etc). He deteriorated so quickly. I was going to take him to the vet yesterday afternoon to see if we could buy some time and what else could be done, but around 11:50a is when my baby was called home. I have been praying that he went in peace.

I haven't cried this much since a beloved family member of mine died several years ago. He was truly my baby and gave me so much joy for the last 9 years. I got him when he was about 3 and he was just the cutest thing ever! Everyone loved my furbaby and knew he was around because he wouldn't bark as much but make this shrilling hollering sound that could wake up the neighborhood.

I guess I was in denial about him being an older dog because he was the size of a baby and I would hold him just like a baby and he would just lay in my arms like one, often drifting off to sleep. As little as he was, he was fiercely protective and once he warded off any "threat" he would always plop down on my feet or lay down and roll on his back so I could rub his tummy.

I am going to miss my baby and I know that he is in a better place right now. I didn't think it would be this hard though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge