U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:56 PM

19 posts, read 47,276 times

Advertisements

I know people can have/adore many pets throughout their lives but who was the one that will always secretly hold the deepest affection of your heart?

My dog's 3 year anniversary of his passing is coming up and we are thinking of getting a new puppy soon. Of course hes not being replaced but I think he will always be that one that I will forever hold the closest bond with. He had thyroid cancer and we did all we could and the day we put him down was so awful yet relieving knowing he would finally be comfortable <3 rest in peace skippy! ( ironically his fave human snack was skippy peanut butter)

what's your story? =]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 AM

2,041 posts, read 3,595,864 times
We have had four pets who have passed and we have loved them all, but Freedom who has just died has left a huge hole in my heart and soul.

Perhaps it is because he was my Service Dog for over 10 years and he was literally tied to my wheelchair for most of those years. He was a truly beautiful dog with such an eager and lovely spirit. My boys used to lay with their heads upon him when they were watching tv and he used to climb up on my lap when he wanted to cuddle.

He was a big boy (around 82 pounds), but he was the biggest baby. He loved being a Service Dog and he was always eager to leave the house. His favorite outing was always going to the movies, followed closely with the aquarium. People would always laugh because he would press his nose on the glass so he could watch the fish better.

He brought so much comfort, laughter and ease to my life. He was named Freedom and he literally WAS my Freedom. He allowed me to go about in public with confidence and the knowledge that as a team we could do the things that most able-bodied people take for granted.

Since he died in early November I have only left the house once- to go to an appointment. It is like I am missing a limb. Freedom is gone and do not think I will ever open myself up to another animal the way I have to Free.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:27 AM

2,288 posts, read 2,919,970 times
I hate to admit there's no contest, Dude the parakeet wins. I miss him so much, think of him everyday. He belonged to my son and dil, and they begged me to take him because they said he was vicious. I took him home, gave him a day then held him as he bit the heck out of my hand and as I kissed his head, told him he was gonna love me. Boy did he!

That little guy talked, we played hide and go seek, my parents loved him as much as I did and would take him home to enjoy him for a week or so. My mom would sit in the back seat with Dude in his cage with the seatbelt around it. Dude rode on a plane, across country in a car, healed from a broken thigh and tried to make friends with any animal and person he met. When I lived in the mountains, squirrels would sit at the screened patio door and chat with him.

My dad never allowed a animal in the house and God forbid you kissed or shared food with one. All that changed with Dude. My most treasured pictures, are of them sharing dinner.

I have video of Dude with his "girlfriends", no lie. He did the deed with a water bottle cap. When he would lose "her", the whole household went nuts looking for her. I was on my knees looking under furniture a thousand times. Dad passed in 05' Dude went in 09'. Mom didn't move or speak for six hours after Dude passed, and she left a month later. I miss all 3. I had Dude cremated so he's still with me, the only pet I've done this with. I love my two pups to pieces, but there will never be another Dude.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 AM

2,288 posts, read 2,919,970 times
Skippy, Freedom & Dude...till we meet again.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 AM

899 posts, read 2,742,466 times
Our first two cockers, they were my garden dogs, go anywhere I went dogs..Blondie was my dog until my Mom walked in the door and then I lost her and she by Mom the whole time mom was visiting..She died a couple days before Thanksgiving in 99 and when Mom came to dinner we told her it was ok to drop a piece of roll on the floor..I cried buckets the first time I did yards after she past..Max was my soul mate
when we were full timing in our motorhome..I met more people just walking this very shy red&white guy , he was a ball playing fool..He was just in my pocket all the time and now 4 years later I still miss..Our current resident cocker is my husbands dog and just a laid back sweet heart ..I know we will miss him too..They all bring so much to your quality of life..
there has been a cocker spaniel is our house for the last 20 years.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:54 AM

27 posts, read 59,387 times
I have always been a cat person, and always will be. And I treasure them most of all. But, there was one time I actually had a pet snake. She was a baby boa and I had named her Nagini after Voldemort's pet snake in the Harry Potter. My friend and I were both taking care of her and we had some weird adventures with her. I did not have her for long though because she soon got sick and passed away. It was short lived but I will miss that snake. 3:

Old 12-15-2013, 01:00 PM

4,837 posts, read 12,438,008 times
Weasie will always be #1. She may have been the runt of the litter, but I bet she'd outlived all her kitten siblings when she passed away in her twentieth year. My house was her house from December of '92 to January of '12.
I met more people through her! And judging from how some of them have behaved since she left us, I think they were friendly with me mainly to stay better connected with the "chat lunatique." For this cat was - and I quote no less than a city Animal Commission officer here - "legendary." With her human friends she'd "talk." "Hi, Weasie!" "Myow!" "How are you today?" "MYOW myow myow, myow myow." "I hope it starts getting cooler too. You must really feel the heat with that coat you have." "MYo-o-o-o-ow, myow myow." Hundreds of passing pedestrians, no exaggeration, were drawn into her shameless plays for attention and treats. Upon detecting that someone was a soft-hearted stranger, Weeze would promptly block their path on the sidewalk and start in with sad eyes and pitiful cries. Never mind that she might have polished off some canned goodies minutes before, or that this could be playing out directly in front of me. The person(s) would be immediately sympathetic: "Poor kitty! You sound so hungry! Are you lost, too?" When her liver cancer invaded and started doing its dirty work, Weasie stepped up her game knowing that the visible weight loss only helped her scheming. She went so far as to station herself right at the front door of a 110-unit apartment building ("elderly housing") nearby, knowing full well that once somebody got wise to her that still left many more potential victims.
At home - naturally, when she chose to be, but that was pretty often - Weeze was a super affectionate cat, blocking computer typing and magazine/newspaper reading as those of her species love to do. She had "auto-purr" - one skritch and the motor started. And the "talk" didn't let up much when she was inside: "MYO-O-O-OW!!!" "I don't see an empty bowl." "MYO-O-O-O-O-OW!!!" "That food's only been there since this morning. It hasn't gone stale." "MYO-O-O-O-OW!!!" "You know the rules in this house. Until the bowl is empty, no more food. And forget about a treat." (Audible grumbling as she started eating.)
I think the point's been made.
Anyone who asked whether a replacement for Weasie would soon be in my life was corrected - "successor, not replacement." Late spring of '12 brought a successor in the form of a slowly acclimated stray cat who wasn't caught for spaying until after she'd become the mother of six. The runt of that litter (history repeating itself) didn't get TNR'd until mid-July of that year, and only after being corralled indoors. Keeping her was a no-brainer given the alternatives. So now there are two. Blaliko (mom) and Seteria (daughter) also have their quirks and are sociable when it suits them. And it's fun watching them interact like any human child and parent do.
Even so...I think of Weasie daily and look out to where her ashes are buried in the back yard. And I don't foresee that changing.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:31 PM

2,187 posts, read 4,115,546 times
Wow....I honestly don't think I could limit myself to only one who was special to me. I have had DOZENS over my lifetime and each and every one of them had their own special personality and quirks and I loved each one equally but differently. There is no way that I could pick just one as a favorite or a special one - and I'm talking about cats, dogs, horses, rabbits, and fish. Ok, the fish were expendable, but it is really hard to bond with a fish, but you know what I mean.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,005,239 times
I feel the same CFoulke, those that are with me seem to be the ones I love best because they are here. But my memory is rich with those who have shared their lives with me.

There was Sylvester who drove me insane, he was such a bad boy. I used to find myself arguing with him and think if anyone heard me arguing with a cat I'd be committed. Then there was Jenny, gone far too soon. My friend was looking for a dog and our eyes met through the cage and it was love at first sight so my husband and I adopted her. She was a wonderful puppy. Now I have Orion who has a very special place in my heart, I love him dearly, and differently but I don't know if it's more than the others. He was only 13 ounces when I adopted him, probably too young considering he now weighs 13 pounds and isn't overweight. I don't know I love them all and will mourn them when they leave me. Bruno wasn't with me long, he lived with my brother for most of his life but I loved him and miss him.

Each is very special to me if they're with me briefly for years. I remember and cherish their individual ways, their quirks and things that happened while we were together. I have a mental scrapbook of times I liked best.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 AM

24,839 posts, read 34,956,370 times
My black lab Bear has been gone one year today.

I will never be the same without him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge