U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:20 PM

737 posts, read 2,444,761 times

Advertisements

Okay, I can finally discuss my apathetic attitude on this board for past few months.

My little Lucky was rescued from a correctional, kill facility in the Atlanta metro area 14-1/2 years ago. Immediately I took her for the spay and check-up, she was determined to be age 4 by the tooth. I loved that vet and he served us well until we made our trek to Florida. His name was Dr. Bohn (pronounced Dr. Bone, gotta love that). He would weigh Lucky by putting him in his arms and stepping on the scale. He has also passed, sadly.

Always the prey oriented girl, she took the life of a possum in Atlanta and continued to enjoy all sorts of prey pursuits. Loved chasing the squirrels, walking the path down the Chattahoochee to the off leash area to jump into the water.

After a few years, we move to Florida. Lucky was very happy in Florida and after a few years, we moved to the Virgin Islands. She enjoyed her days by chasing key deer and the occasional mongoose.

A lap dog and treat oriented, this smart girl did all of the old timey tricks, rollover, fetch and return but her favorite thing was to get in front of you anywhere in the house and just "play dead" - a trick not taught to her but she realized quickly that if she "died" on her back that she had trained her humans to rub her belly, often. And so we became the trained ones.

She barely tolerated the rescue dogs that were dumped on us on the island. They made way for her whenever she was about, ate from their bowls, drank from their water and stole their treats. She was the queen bee about the homestead, knew it and we certainly permitted her to retain her status. Even though she was less than 20 pounds, the pittie mix of 45 lbs and the others, one weighing in at 60 lbs. knew to avoid the queen. She had her own room inside while the others could only watch and wonder what special food she might be eating. They too were inside pets but never dared to cross her threshold.

As she grew older she received special food and they knew it. They were wishful thinkers. When she finished her special food, the others would linger near her just to smell what she had received.

When she could no longer make the one step from outside to the front door, we built a ramp. None of the other pets used it. Not because of us. She was blind by this time and wouldn't have known if they'd use the padded ramp or not.

It was time. Even though she couldn't really see, she could still give me the look. It was time for me and her but DH just wouldn't believe it. I needed his support in this decision that I'd already made. We couldn't move furniture, couldn't both leave the house as she was walking into walls. Enough already. I explained to DH that the vet and his assistant would arrive at 2pm as I had just called first thing in the morning. Okay, finally. DH is sad and takes the remaining 2 dogs from our pack into the back.

I sit under the palms and retrieve my new bedding and we are comfortable. I picnic with Lucky for the last time. I made lamb and we eat together waiting for our vet to arrive. The landscaper has already dug the site a few days before and I'm ready, but not ready at all. Our vet and his wife arrive. I give them her eye medication and vitamin supplements in the hopes that someone who cannot afford them will benefit from the meds at no charge. I've written 2 checks, one for the "visit" and one to them personally so that they might use it for themselves or provide care to another pet whose owner cannot afford it. She is comfortable in my arms as I tell her I will see her soon (in dog years, maybe not so soon). But I know that I mean it and believe it.

Vet arrives with his wife. A sudden and unexpected squeal, so gruesome that I cannot fully describe what comes out of her and she flails making things worse. Then, suddenly, limp. One of them tells me she is gone. I don't remember which of them said this. They leave and I bundle her tightly and tell her that she was and always will be my best friend. I tell her I love her, for the last time.

DH emerges from the back of the house, didn't hear the squeal, doesn't know what this is like. But he does take her lifeless body and finally covers her face and with tears streaming down both our faces, I'm in a fog. I leave the two of them as he will gently place her to rest forever and I will remember this day always as I had back into our home to tell the remaining pack members that Lucky is gone.

They look for her for about 3 weeks, sometimes sneaking into her room. I swear I see her walking out of her room, but of course, she isn't there. I don't see ghosts, but if I did, I'd like to see her.

I write today because we've opened her room and I will start to clean it out. I'm keeping her special food dish and I am pleased with Lucky's garden. The new palms and other plants are doing so well as if to say, "she is our queen bee and we'll take care to be sure she has enough shade, always" - and that is the end.

No comments are needed. I already know this wonderful pet community will understand. I'm no longer sad and my only regret is that I didn't do immediately after she gave me the look. I succumbed to DH's desire to say "what if we do this or that" and then only to realize that the only working brain among us was inside of Lucky and I was only able to do my best. I will never listen to another human when it comes to our other pets or any future pets, I will listen and I will act. Thank you Lucky. See ya, still miss you.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 01-15-2014 at 03:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM

24,839 posts, read 35,104,884 times
To night....I cry with you.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 30,219,432 times
I love you and I'm (virtually) hugging you so tight.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 PM

6,477 posts, read 5,490,856 times
Thank you for sharing this story full of emotions. Our dogs give us so much pleasure and are members of the family. I think in our lifetimes, we all have a special one that will always be the "bestest dog"

Our dear pets are only with us for a short time in human years, and there isn't a thing we can do but mourn their loss, keep our happy memories close to our hearts, and go on.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 PM
ZSP

1,662 posts, read 4,706,744 times
What a beautiful tribute for a special girl. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lucky, gone but never forgotten. Rest in peace pretty girl.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 AM

737 posts, read 2,444,761 times
Thanks, I knew you would understand. I promise get back on the forum sometime next month... miss the connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge