U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:37 AM

5,162 posts, read 3,628,238 times

Advertisements

I'm really sorry for your loss. I has a peach face lovebird many years ago, he was such a sweetheart. Also, my husband's blue and gold macaw, Chester, passed last year, my post to him is in Rainbow Bridge. I completely understand your grief, so many ppl do not, as they think it is "just a bird". I was fired from my job for staying home when Chester died. I am so sorry for your loss and glad you were there for your little one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:27 PM

12,319 posts, read 9,101,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
My 15-year-old little buddy, Soldier, is passing away. I've had him since college, and he's always been such a sassy and smart, loyal companion. I've taken him everywhere with me.

He's slowed down the last few years. We live in the country now and he loves watching the birds outside. This morning suddenly I could tell he was near the end. Not able to stay on a perch, sort of having wing spasms.

I know him well enough to know that it's his time. I called in sick to work and now he's resting comfortably in my hand, his favorite way to snuggle. I'm talking to him softly and remembering all the fun we've had and the different places we've lived, and all the people who've been charmed by his confident and sassy attitude. I'm telling him that I'm here and that it's ok for him to go. Of course, I'm not keeping it together.

Not really a question, just some reflections on how much a 2-ounce friend can change our lives and how hard it is to watch them go.
As heartbreaking as it is to watch a beloved pet die, just know that the last thing your little Soldier will know, and be aware of is your love for him, the touch of your hand, your voice comforting him. You gave him a long wonderful life, you loved him, he knew of your love and he loved you back.

Our lovebird, Sweetpea, died in my hands about two years ago- she shared our lives for nearly 17 yrs and as she lay dying in my hand, I thanked her for the joy and laughter she had brought into our lives. We buried her in the back yard, under a yellow poinciana tree that seems to be a favorite spot for all kinds of birds. Although we now have two young birds ( another lovebird who's colored differently than Sweetpea, and a parrotlet), as well as the 26 year old cockatiel who was hassled sometimes by Sweetpea, I still miss her, and think of her every day.

So it may be that your Soldier is now flying free beyond the Rainbow Bridge, his little spirit is somewhere out there in the universe with our Sweetpea, and they're letting it be known, each one, with that indomitable lovebird "attitude" that no matter what, they're STILL the boss of all they see.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:48 PM

240 posts, read 221,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
As heartbreaking as it is to watch a beloved pet die, just know that the last thing your little Soldier will know, and be aware of is your love for him, the touch of your hand, your voice comforting him. You gave him a long wonderful life, you loved him, he knew of your love and he loved you back.

Our lovebird, Sweetpea, died in my hands about two years ago- she shared our lives for nearly 17 yrs and as she lay dying in my hand, I thanked her for the joy and laughter she had brought into our lives. We buried her in the back yard, under a yellow poinciana tree that seems to be a favorite spot for all kinds of birds. Although we now have two young birds ( another lovebird who's colored differently than Sweetpea, and a parrotlet), as well as the 26 year old cockatiel who was hassled sometimes by Sweetpea, I still miss her, and think of her every day.

So it may be that your Soldier is now flying free beyond the Rainbow Bridge, his little spirit is somewhere out there in the universe with our Sweetpea, and they're letting it be known, each one, with that indomitable lovebird "attitude" that no matter what, they're STILL the boss of all they see.
Thank you so much for that beautiful and thoughtful post. Brought tears back to my eyes.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:49 PM

240 posts, read 221,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post

Thank you so much for posting a picture of Jerimiah! He's a handsome little guy, looks just like my Soldier.

And I love the way the lovebirds always have that look of mischief in their eye!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 AM

6,664 posts, read 28,538,843 times
Quote:
This is one of the last pictures of him alive.
He looked very comfy and well loved!

Old 06-19-2014, 07:53 PM

12,319 posts, read 9,101,555 times
Quote:
You know, I didn't comment after your first post, which I also thought was rude. Do you own birds? Do you get attached to them?

Not to overstate the situation, but my birds, of which I've had several, are not like hamsters or something you keep in a cage to look at occasionally and then go buy a new one when they kick it.

No, I haven't gone looking for a "replacement," because every one of my birds has been irreplaceable.

In time, I may go get another.
It really is a shame that many people have no clue what wonderful companions pet birds can be, and assume that birds basically serve the function of home decorations who spend their lives in cages and have no personality- what they miss! I'm sure you have, and I know I've had people who've commented when they saw our birds and their interaction with us express surprise that the birds are so tame, they interact and have their own unique personalities. I always explain that when you spend time with the bird(s), play with them, make sure they're well fed and healthy, and accept their personalities ( including occasional biting when they're not happy about something) you most often get a friendly bird- or at least that has always worked for us. And those little guys worm their way into your heart and they really are irreplaceable in that regard!

Many people don't understand the places out pet birds hold in our hearts, as they may consider them, as you mention, like the goldfish or gerbil, basically a decoration but with no real interaction with their owners. But they might have dogs or cats they're attached to and love with all their hearts, so they might understand the loss of a pet in that regard.

Maybe this is strange, but I read this somewhere that your sorrow at the death of a pet is the flip side of the love and joy you felt as you shared your life with that pet. It's hard, but the reality is that most animals we have as pets have shorter lifespans than we humans do, so if we have beloved pets we share our lives with, it's almost inevitable that they will die before we do. But as heartbreaking as the loss of a pet can be, I still think it's worth the joy, cameraderie, and love that we share with those pets when they're with us. I bet you wouldn't have missed one minute of the life you shared with your Soldier, and I know I wouldn't have missed one minute of our life with our Sweetpea.

As you mention, the time may come when you're ready to bring another little feathered friend into your life. Only you know when that will be, but you will know when you're ready. That new little bird won't in any way be a replacement for Soldier, you'll always have a place in your heart reserved for him, but your heart and love expands to embrace any number of friends. You'll love your new friend for his unique personality and ways, he'll share your life, even as you recall the good memories you have of Soldier, and even still miss him.

Just some thoughts.....

Old 06-21-2014, 11:01 PM

10,043 posts, read 17,665,198 times
OP--

I am so very sorry for your loss, and for the way some people have treated you here. Put them on ignore, you don't need such stress at this time.

Perhaps ask a mod to transfer your thread to Rainbow Bridge, you will get more appropriate responses there.

You've suffered a very real loss, a little companion of 15+ years. Take care......he's now in Heaven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge