U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-15-2010, 03:00 PM
 
3,604 posts, read 11,370,803 times
Reputation: 5373

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
yes, true, but i believe that's degrading to human intelligence, thinking power....and....LOGIC!
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, it is much more degrading to belittle those that do not agree with your views on life and the world. Especially in a thread where people with different beliefs than yours may gain comfort from it. Its not about logic here- its about compassion and respect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: EPWV
13,669 posts, read 7,081,557 times
Reputation: 14839
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
yes, true, but i believe that's degrading to human intelligence, thinking power....and....LOGIC!

Right, whatever you say, Spock
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 03:12 PM
 
512 posts, read 1,298,338 times
Reputation: 275
look, i get that people are sad about their pet dying, and i would be too. but all i'm saying is that feeding yourself BS is not (or at least 'should not') be the answer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 03:16 PM
 
Location: East Windsor, NJ
417 posts, read 988,170 times
Reputation: 378
I hardly think its feeding yourself BS..I think its simply a coping mechanism. Although this may not be the way I help myself deal with a pet's death, it may be the way someone else copes. Everyone copes with grief in different ways..no reason to knock it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM
 
3,604 posts, read 11,370,803 times
Reputation: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
look, i get that people are sad about their pet dying, and i would be too. but all i'm saying is that feeding yourself BS is not (or at least 'should not') be the answer.
What you call BS others call faith. Believe whatever you wish and leave them to whatever helps them in their grief. My point is that a thread about grief over a loved pet is not the place for a theology debate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 03:24 PM
 
512 posts, read 1,298,338 times
Reputation: 275
obviously there's no point in arguing with a bunch of people who would/could believe anything and everything. (like jordan and vacat)

for the rest of you, if you're depressed about the death of your pet, instead of listening to wishy washy fairy tales, keep their pictures close by, look at them often, adopt another pet sooner rather than later, and give them the love that you used to give to your late pet. in reality, that's all you can do.

Cheers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 04:39 PM
 
501 posts, read 1,189,564 times
Reputation: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
why do we have to make up a silly story like that just to feel better? this is ridiculous!
death is a natural part of life. why not accept it as such and instead of making up bogus fairytale like the above, focus on remembering the good memories and moving on?
just silly!
Reading a thread on the ways of coping with grief and depresion after a loss, and offering alternative methods of looking at the issue?

~Shows that some people know how to stand in someone else's shoes for a moment and show compassion, being willing to share what they believe in an effort to reach out and help someone in trouble.

Reading a thread on the ways of coping with grief, and making fun of how people deal with their sadness?

~Shows that some people may need to reflect on what they've said, and perhaps re-examine why they felt the need to hurt people, on a thread about pain of all things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 04:57 PM
 
501 posts, read 1,189,564 times
Reputation: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee1276 View Post
Sam I am...I realize this post is older, but I found it on the net today in my search for peace. Tonight 7/15/2010 at 5:30 I will be putting down my 11.5 yr old chocolate lab Bailey. My heart is broken beyond my understanding. I have never been through this, and the pain is unreal. He has a tumor on his skull that is clearly going to the brain. He paces and pants even on pain meds. He just wont settle, his eyes look "off", won't wag his tail, won't lay down for long. But still eats and drinks, and looks at me with that beautiful face, and I am so doubting my decision. Reading your post, and how many times you've been through this is so helpful. To know that I will be ok, and may find another dog to love. My children are 7 and 4, and equally devastated at tonight's appointment. I have no idea how to get through this, but I want you to know your post has helped my in some small way.

God bless you, and any dogs you've loved.

Aimee
Aimee - though I am far away, please know that my thoughts are with you as you do this last and most difficult act for your best friend.

It is hard every time, but I still remember after all these decades the first time being esp. unbearable for me - both because of the loss that was coming and the fact that I was the one choosing the time of my sweet boy's death. I just couldn't believe it was happening, and so unavoidable. I was almost horrified at the thought.

My last was 2 years ago, and I was spared being the one to make the call, as she passed away here at home after a brief illness. She was my once in a lifetime dog, and we had a once in a lifetime bond. My first dog to pass also broke me beyond understanding, and even after more losses over the decades, the loss of my most special one still has left a void that will never be filled. And even understanding the pain that is unavoidable at the end, I still choose to have more dogs in my life. I know how you feel at this moment, and I am really sorry you are there now.

I can only tell you this - if a dog has a terminal illness, while you can be a bit too early, you will never know unless you let them continue on to see for sure. And being too late to make the decision is so much worse for your friend, and only done because we humans can't handle life without them, or have temporarily lost our ability to be objective, because of the finality and magnitude of this kind of decision. Having done that a couple of times (mostly because I was worried that I was being too hasty, because there were still some positive signs), I completely regret it. While we hesitate and pray for a few more good days or weeks for them at some point in the future, they are creatures who only live in the present, which may be a more pain filled one that we realize.

Hugs to you and your kids, and I send positive thoughts for finding peace of mind. It will come. And godspeed, Bailey - I can tell you were much loved.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 07-15-2010 at 05:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 PM
 
Location: EPWV
13,669 posts, read 7,081,557 times
Reputation: 14839
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
obviously there's no point in arguing with a bunch of people who would/could believe anything and everything. (like jordan and vacat)

for the rest of you, if you're depressed about the death of your pet, instead of listening to wishy washy fairy tales, keep their pictures close by, look at them often, adopt another pet sooner rather than later, and give them the love that you used to give to your late pet. in reality, that's all you can do.

Cheers
Who says we don't?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 AM
 
11 posts, read 14,219 times
Reputation: 19
TO SHARPIE: People, humans, with a heart and huge compassion for others when they know they are hurting, there is nothing wrong with that! Obviously, you have never lost a valued friend yet, because you wrote "I know you are sad," "I would be too", so, how do you even know what this is like? or are you just going off your sharp expertise about life and logic? This is so unreal that a person would even write about feeling no pain, move on, and more or less get over your pet that meant so much, they are DEAD! Just get a picture and deal, Man, thats sad that you feel like that! I am glad I am not your pet!! In reality What would I mean to you? Easily discarded!! is what it looks like! Never to be thought of again.. MOVE ON!! Is the way you deal, others deal differently.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top