U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:53 PM

2,053 posts, read 3,682,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

Now... I don't know what to do. I put all her things in a box in the storage room, and her bed and big pillow she loved to sleep on. I can still smell her on her bed, so I go down to that room, bury my head in her bed, and sob.
I have the 4 blankets that Saber & I had been sleeping on, the week he died, in large ziplock plastic bags in my closet.
I can still smell him ... there isn't, and won't be, a day that I don't miss him.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 AM

14,174 posts, read 24,579,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I have the 4 blankets that Saber & I had been sleeping on, the week he died, in large ziplock plastic bags in my closet.
I can still smell him ... there isn't, and won't be, a day that I don't miss him.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thank you! It's a week after losing our Bella and I'm much better. I had a phone session with a pet psychic last evening (I've never in my life contacted a psychic, but she was recommended by a friend) and she told me things that there was no way she could have known, relayed messages from Bella, and made me feel very at peace with her passing. It really opened my eyes to a new level of spirituality.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 AM

14,174 posts, read 24,579,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginabob View Post
Denverian,
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It will be 3 months on Aug. 19th since I lost my best 4 footed friend, Charmin. I think of her everyday with tears still rolling down my cheeks. I finally put all of her toys, leash, collar, and some of her fur in her travel crate and it is in the guest bedroom. We had a bad storm recently with high winds, so we gathered things of value and headed to the basement. The most important thing I held on my lap was the wooden box with Charmin's ashes in them. I thought if my house is going to blow away, it's not going to take her with it, so I kept her with me. I know that sounds silly (especially for those who have not gone through the loss of a pet) but my little girl will always be near and dear to me. I miss her so very much. I have no plans to get another dog, I can't go through this pain and sorrow again.
I just received Bella's ashes yesterday, so I totally understand. I'm going to find a beautiful urn for her, but I felt comfort yesterday driving home from the vet with her ashes in my lap.

If you see my post above, I did meet with a pet psychic last evening and it was so healing for me. She told me that Bella was so appreciative of the life I provided her, that we had an extremely close bond, and that Bella loved our children as her own, and continued to watch over them and me. She also said Bella's spirit could come back to me in another dog, so I should be open to that. I know not everyone believes in after lives/spirits/souls, but the psychic said things that she couldn't have known otherwise. For instance, Bella told me I needed to "use my words", and the psychic asked me if I'm a writer. I do have a degree in writing/communication and am a great writer, but had moved away from it in the past year. She also gave a detailed timeline of Bella's failing health, which corresponded with what truly occurred to Bella regarding her health.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 PM

790 posts, read 1,701,267 times
Reading the recent posts brought back sad (and happy) memories of my little dachshund, Molly. I had to put her to sleep after a brief illness, and I really suffered from the sudden loss of this sweet dog.

I read a book by Jon Katz, entitled "Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die." This book helped me tremendously. I was in a dark fog -- and extremely shocked by the depth of my grief. I've lost both parents and one brother, and Molly's death took me by storm.

Best wishes to each of you out there. Be kind to yourself and cherish the memories of good times with your special friend.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM

2,888 posts, read 5,842,658 times
It is strange how hard the death of a furkid can be. The void left by a being that lives with us and relies on us for their very existance feels even deeper and darker than that left by family and friends that we see infrequently. Then again, the loss of a pet seems to magnify the loss of our human friends.

When I lose a pet, I cry about my Dad all over again. Then I cry about the people that I might someday lose. I cry 'til the sadness fades, then I relish the times I have with humans and animals in my life. Then I read about someone else's loss and I cry all over again. And then someone, usally one of my furry friends, does something silly, and I smile all over again. Life truly is a circle, isn't it?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM

13 posts, read 10,753 times
My Charmin has been gone 3 months and I'm still heavily grieving over her loss. Tears of sadness flow very easily. It's funny that on the very day of the 3rd month of her passing, I could smell her and I looked around to see if she was there. Her spirit was definitely with me that day.

She used to bark and growl then run to the door whenever she heard a doorbell ringing (which was actually on a TV commercial), and now every time I hear that door bell ringing on TV, I expect to hear her running to the door, barking.

Charmin was a good traveler and now each time we leave for a trip, I keep thinking we've forgotten her. I still expect to see her waiting at the window each evening when I get home from work.

I would give anything to have those days back.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:28 PM

3,030 posts, read 4,776,727 times
I am on day 5 after putting my best buddy, Peter the cat to sleep. The agony of the deed and the current guilt from not rescuing him a third time (congestive heart failure) and giving me and pete one more week to say goodbye are the most traumatic events of my life. My mother died about a decade ago, I felt bad, but I did not have a doctor inject her, ending her life, so, 3 days later, I was feeling a little better. Not this time. THe death of my child or spouse would trump this, but this is the darkest I have ever felt in my 44 years on the planet. My wife and child are way ahead of me on the healing part, I am not ready to move on to stage of acceptance. Peter please forgive me...I did the best I could in our 18 years...I really did.

Last edited by Foreverking; 09-19-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 PM

7,329 posts, read 14,569,774 times
Please don't beat yourself up. Pete had a good long life. There's never enough time to say goodbye, however long it is. We do tend to question our choices at this hard time, but you released Pete from his suffering and I'm sure he was grateful for your care and love in doing so.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 PM

1,655 posts, read 2,255,184 times
aye my wonderful, wonderful dog we had to put him down on August 20th, 2012. They are not like family memebers they are family members, and I mourn him with all the love comparable to any person-more perhaps. I cried many times before we put him down and many times after, at the vet I did not cry, I had to be strong for him but my god I miss him everyday. If I am to live to 27 or 100 he will always be in my heart.

In terms of depression it comes and goes, it really comes and goes. It is still very hard to think about him and not cry and looking at pictures of him can still bring me to tears. He is in my heart everyday and when it is my time many, many years from now I look forward to seeing him again. Till we meet again my wonderful dog

Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 AM

36,503 posts, read 47,618,330 times
I think it is indeed a truly loving act to PTS a suffering pet. We must think of them and their quality of life and painful conditions and not ourselvfes and how much we will miss them. Anybody who can love and care for a dear pet for 18 years has noting to feel guilty about. It was the last act of friendship and loyalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge