U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 AM

528 posts, read 2,324,899 times

Advertisements

huge problem in the breed, unfortunately ....I'm sorry to hear of your loss as well. You may be interested in this site for some news on research, etc if you haven't seen it already:

Golden Retriever Foundation
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 11:20 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,625,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
huge problem in the breed, unfortunately ....I'm sorry to hear of your loss as well. You may be interested in this site for some news on research, etc if you haven't seen it already:

Golden Retriever Foundation
Ah, very helpful. I usually visited my local site (I did rescue in VA). They say goldens are the #2 breed for cancer, can't remember #1.

Moderator cut: no comments about member status, please..DM a moderator if you have a question

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-15-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 AM

5,094 posts, read 15,301,087 times
When I had to say goodbye to my dog Whiskey, six years ago, he was 14 years old and had lived a very full and happy life. He was pampered with a nice warm home and bed and oodles of love and play time. Many of my friends and family members tried to comfort me but didn't know what to say. My sister said some very comforting words to me that I still remember to this day. She said, "When the time is right, Whiskey will send down another dog for you to love." Those few words brought me so much comfort. I knew that no dog would ever replace him, but knowing that I could channel my grief and sadness into loving another dog really helped. There are so many animals who need loving homes. A month after that, I adopted a dog from a "no kill" facility. She needed a home, and I had love to give.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:38 AM

633 posts, read 1,800,360 times
Default appointment is tomorrow

I have to bring my Norwegian Elk Hound in tomorrow. It's sad but it has to be done. His back legs don't work anymore, he's 15 and in a lot of pain.

I'm not looking forward to it.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 17,024,314 times
Mike - I'm so sorry...we will be thinking of you. There's just no easy way to do it. Love him all you can - you've given him a wonderful life, I'm sure...godspeed to your dog.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:06 PM

528 posts, read 2,324,899 times
eggalegga - that's a nice story, glad you found another friend to love.

mike - so sorry for your news, may everything be peaceful for you both tomorrow.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 PM

17,824 posts, read 21,288,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
I have to bring my Norwegian Elk Hound in tomorrow. It's sad but it has to be done. His back legs don't work anymore, he's 15 and in a lot of pain.

I'm not looking forward to it.
I am so very sorry to hear about your dog. My Golden Retriever/Black Lab mix had the same problem. She was 13.5 years old. She was just fine, until one day in the morning she got up and immediately collapsed and was unable to stand. A tumor had pinched a nerve in her spine, preventing her from using her back legs according to the vet. She was also in a lot of pain, and even though I didn't want to let her go, I knew it was best for her.

Fifteen years is a very long time to spend together, and letting him go is going to be extremely difficult for you. You have many wonderful memories that you will treasure for the rest of your life. No one who loves their dogs will ever forget them, and I'm certain you will do what is best.

It does help to have another dog to share your grief, even though they will never replace the dog you lost. Just having another dog around can be of some comfort.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM

265 posts, read 1,210,155 times
hellofromme so sorry for your loss. Of course you're depressed...and no doubt your baby will stay with you always, or for a very, very long time. Not only in your heart, but in the shadows too...some might respond (and have) by saying no more animals, they live too short and it hurts too much...all of that's true, but I say love more. When you're ready (and you'll know when you are), open your heart again, and your home. And know that the deep connection you shared, you'll have again someday. Sending hugs and lots of healing light.

~PudelPie

Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 PM

15,815 posts, read 28,152,585 times
I have always felt (and experienced) that I will come to love any dog I care for. Some are more closely connected than others, and sometime, if you're really lucky, you'll have a "dog of a lifetime." (Come to think of it, at least in the latter sense, I feel the same way about romance!)
We are so fortunate to have these neat critters in our lives. They really don't live long enough, and knowing that, helps us to live more in the present, which is always a good lesson. Be calm with the decision to take care of your friend that last final way.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:14 PM

1,794 posts, read 2,888,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I have to post to this, HelloFromMe, I'm so with you. it's been over a year and I'm still as depressed as I was that horrible weekend. Only the guilt will not fade in my case because I was feeding my "Spacey" Rimadyl -- for symptoms of an EAR INFECTION!! A friggin EAR INFEction or vestibular disease (there's a thread on it)! Stumbled like drunk one day-- we thought she was having a stroke and rushed her. They said it could be arthritis because xray showed beginning mild arthritis & gave rimadyl because they though a nerve xray don't show may be pinching.

I had nO idea because my hard-drive had fried on puter, so knew absolutely nothing about why my dog all of a sudden began having seizures after 3 weeks since that day. They upped the Rimadyl that Friday and the seizures were so chronic by 4 am that we took her We had NO IDEA about any ear symptoms or side effects to look for because my hard drive had fried in November.

I will NEVER get over this -- ever. And we've had so so so many dogs over the years, but they always went on their own terms, so we mourned, and always had our other digs for comfort. But we had the best veterinarian on EARTH in our city back then. The BEST.
3 days after she died, the "dr." started calling our home about their corn gluten peanut hull soy garbage. We still get postcards with "reminders" for things for our surviving dog and I get upset all over again. I want to go over there and shove some rimadyl and corn gluten and soy mill run down their throats. Then they want us to kill our other dog with the skanky "food" they sell.

We SWORE it was a brain tumor, & I kept feeding her the rimadyl How many people kill their dog because they don't have Internet? I get angrier every day, I fed it to her. Her brother clings to people like crazy now . he's never been alone before and he's depressed/

I had to put down my English Pointer a couple of years ago because we thought it was a brain tumor - AT FIRST AN EAR INFECTION, THEN "VESTIBULAR" DISEASE. Are you saying that the Rimadyl killed your dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge