U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 07:35 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,024,314 times

Advertisements

Many vets will no longer prescribe Rimadyl...mine included. The side effects are staggering on NSAIDs, but particularly this one. Some breeds apparently are more affected than others. There are several sites with Rimadyl implicated deaths noted. The Senior Dog Project had some info on it

The Senior Dogs Project
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,625,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Many vets will no longer prescribe Rimadyl...mine included. The side effects are staggering on NSAIDs, but particularly this one. Some breeds apparently are more affected than others. There are several sites with Rimadyl implicated deaths noted. The Senior Dog Project had some info on it

The Senior Dogs Project
But if the dog is old enough, wouldn't it be worth the risk? We put our 15 year old golden retriever on Rimadyl years ago and it made such a difference in her life. But that was many years ago - I don't know if there are other drugs on the market now.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 PM

903 posts, read 3,260,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellofromme! View Post
Has anyone been through this? You know it is the right thing to do because your baby is so ill with no chance but you can't help but feel you let them down. It is especially difficult having saved the animal from sure death only to have to go through this. The sunrise that morning was the worst thing I have ever seen. I miss that dog more than anything.

I'm sorry for your loss. I had to put 2 dogs to sleep over the past 18 months. I held them and spoke to them as they passed and although it was very painful and sad, I was grateful to be able to give them such a peaceful passing. They knew they were loved. All I can tell you is I can relate to your pain and it will get better. It has been a while since Ariel is gone-about 9 months-and I still miss her smell-she was older but still smelled and felt like a puppy. Time heals all wounds-a special place will always be reserved-but the hole in your heart will get filled once again. Good luck

Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,591,745 times
Our O'shota, a golden, was on rimadyl for about three weeks when she had spondylosis. We put her down after 23 days after being diagnosed. At day 23 she was paralyzed from the hips down and no longer wanted to eat. She did not exhibit any signs of complications due to the rimadyl. The rimadyl actually helped her for almost two weeks, at one point she actually made it down the four steps to the back yard and back in the house with out any help from us. We were so proud of her. I used a firewood sling to support her mid section while she walked about and did her business, but each day I had to do more supporting, till the last day when she asked us to let her go, it was the look she gave us. We knew she did not want to go through the indignity anymore, we took her to the vet in the back of subaru and she was put down in the back. She was a large dog at 125 pounds.

Thank you for this information on rimadyl, I passed it on to a friend of mine who has had her rott on it for over two years.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:19 AM

633 posts, read 1,800,360 times
Default Thank you

I want to thank everyone for their comments, thoughts and prayers.
The death of an animal or death of a friend it stirs the same emotions.

In Evey’s post there was a poem called rainbow bridge.

http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/petloss/Rainbow%20Bridge.pdf

I think this song goes well with it.

http://www.davin.com/mp3/Somewhere_Over_The_Rainbow.mp3 (broken link)

I am lucky because I have two dogs now. 10 years ago when I meet my wife she had 3 dogs. This is a story of adoption, the dogs adopted me...

Midnite will help me through this.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 PM

13,169 posts, read 237,915 times
You are so right. These animals adopt US, and bless our lives with their presence and unconditional love.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:24 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,353,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I had to put down my English Pointer a couple of years ago because we thought it was a brain tumor - AT FIRST AN EAR INFECTION, THEN "VESTIBULAR" DISEASE. Are you saying that the Rimadyl killed your dog?

No. We did by giving it to her, and not knowing any better why she was having seizures. I talked to Pfizer and they said that the vet should have, at least, given a pamphlet which Pfizer supplies to give clients, and to at least warn of possible side effects to look out for, as with any drug.

The Pfizer Vet was quite shocked that it was even prescribed for those symptoms, and that nerve relaxers were prescribed with more Rimadyl when my dog had the first seizure.
I can't blame Pfizer. They supply the pamphlets to give clients with their drug and we never got one. We put total trust in those "vets". We had a hard enough time just finding out if food was necessary before/with/after giving meds there -- should have known better then & taken our dogs into the city .... So I blame myself before Pfizer and Rimadyl. This place was very obsessed with selling us things and pushy about it, so hopefully this red flag which we didn't heed will help save others some premature grief.
My sister's vet tech friend in the city told her that some more corporate places are more pressured to exceed monthly sales quotas because of "points" from the companies. This was one of them.

You are so right, Mike, Southward and Evey! Our kids always adopted us, too :>)

Edit to add: There are natural/Holistic remedies for Arthritis and joint problems with MSM, Chondroitin, and glucosamine; each have different compounds that help with joint problems. They help increase the joint lubrication and decrease the dog arthritis pain.

Last edited by Travel'r; 01-16-2008 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM

17,824 posts, read 21,288,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
I want to thank everyone for their comments, thoughts and prayers.
The death of an animal or death of a friend it stirs the same emotions.

In Evey’s post there was a poem called rainbow bridge.

http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/petloss/Rainbow%20Bridge.pdf

I think this song goes well with it.

http://www.davin.com/mp3/Somewhere_Over_The_Rainbow.mp3 (broken link)

I am lucky because I have two dogs now. 10 years ago when I meet my wife she had 3 dogs. This is a story of adoption, the dogs adopted me...

Midnite will help me through this.
The death of a dog that has been your most loyal companion for 15 years is exactly the same as the death of a very close friend. There is no difference. Whenever you came home, he was always there to greet you like you had been gone for an entire year. Whether you were happy or sad, he was always there at your side through the good times and the bad times. Your dog was a very close friend, so the emotions you feel at his loss are very understandable, and shared by many who have experienced the same loss.

I'm glad to hear that you have two other dogs to help share your grief, and I am certain your two dogs also feel the same sense of loss you are feeling. After I had to put down my 13.5 year-old last July, I noticed my 4 year-old acting very despondent. She was much less active, and stare at a blank wall for several minutes at a time. Even though the 13.5 year-old always growled at the 4 year-old from the day I brought her home as an 8 week-old puppy, they had developed a bond. I have since acquired another puppy a couple months ago, and I noticed an immediate improvement in my 4 year-olds demeanor. Your dogs may not understand why your 15 year-old is no longer around, but they most certainly miss his presence.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 PM

253 posts, read 995,207 times
Default So Sorry for e-1's loss

We have all experienced these losses, but look at all that we got from our loyal companions, love, loyalty, honesty, truth and best of all great times.

Look what most pet owners give, love, loyalty, honesty, truth; and the truth part is the best we give to them. We know the truth when they are ready to go and we blend it with the love we feel for them and the compassion to do what's right for THEM. Our grieving is directed at OUR loss, not theirs....they're on the "Rainbow Bridge", and we need to be happy for them.

It takes a strong, responsible, pet owner to say,,,its time,,,I'll see you again, but I won't let you have to endure any more pain, I love YOU too much. I'll take YOUR pain for the rest of MY life, to spare you; "my best friend" anymore pain.

I put my best friend of over 17 yrs. down, 6 yrs ago. She'll always be my best friend, along with a list of others over the years, before her. None are forgotten, none deserve to be forgotten.
It seems that anytime anyone close to you dies you feel guilt. We could of done more,,,,etc. Don't let that consume you. You did what you could with all the information you had at the time, along with the best interests of your "most precious friend".
Go and let a "best friend" adopt you, and make a difference in their life and yours.
Pets are too precious to avoid making another commitment so we don't have to suffer again.

I insist on suffering again and again. I currently have a 12 and 13 yr old Boxer mix and Greyhound mix.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:54 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,782,011 times
we just put our kitty down today and are thinking about it like this.
He had a awesome life, he loved us, we loved him and we took it upon ourselves to say when it was time. It was our responsibility.
We cried a little and then wrote down all the funny and our favorite things he did.
We did the same with my childhood dog when she died and it helped alot.

I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR PAIN!

I understand your pain(ohh boy I do!). I keep looking for our kitty, just out of habit. I keep listening for his bell and his meow and then I sadly remember. Even our dog is looking for the cat. We all miss him!

Your in my prayers!

Last edited by kelly3120; 01-16-2008 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge