Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:05 PM

269 posts, read 1,267,085 times

Advertisements

Reading this with tears welling up in my eyes.
We lost a 4.5 month old GSD puppy last week. He went into anaphylactic shock after a routine vaccination shot. He got his shots in the morning, came home for a nap, and then we noticed that his eyes and gums were just beginning to swell up. We rushed him to our vet in record time (about 10 mins in all) but that wasn't enough to save him.

Hang in there, I'm trying my best to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
We lost a 4.5 month old GSD puppy last week. He went into anaphylactic shock after a routine vaccination shot. He got his shots in the morning, came home for a nap, and then we noticed that his eyes and gums were just beginning to swell up. We rushed him to our vet in record time (about 10 mins in all) but that wasn't enough to save him.

So sad! Big hugs to you!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,471 times
Quote:

awh, I'm so sorry. I'm hearing more and more about reactions to vaccinations.
poor puppy!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:

Oh no! I just got my puppy his vaccination shots last month. He is 4 months and a week old now. I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. My heart goes out to you. Even though you have only had him a few short months, I know all too well how quickly they entrench themselves into our hearts.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:01 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellofromme! View Post
(sobbing....)
hello.......We had to put our Lasa to sleep this July. She, and we, had suffered enough. The ride was a horror, we kept wanting to turn back. Since she was a pup,she favored the males in the family......my hubby and her were so close. They would golf together in the back yard. She would run for the ball and then drop it back at his feet. She would jump in the pool and swim all around. Even at the shore she would swim in the piers watery bace.
She had all the symtoms they gave for the bad food, and we put her on the pouches coming down to SC. But, who knows what the cause was. She tested ok.... But, she was old and was almost 15.
We spent many nights up with her. She tried very hard......but it was a loosing battle. One day I found her head sleeping on the water bowl.
She had excessive drinking and then had to Pee a lot........
She did go to sleep very fast. My husband could not get words out, he was so upset. But, I talked to her......
I carried her up to the spot my husband dug......he was the saddest man that day........It was so awfully hard for him to dig that, before the time that we knew we would have to follow through.
Its difficult.......we all love our dogs so, so, much.
But.......you have to just be glad the dog will suffer no more.
For the times you had.......and the happiness your dog had.
Blessings to you.......You did what you had to do, just like many of us.
So, so, difficult.........Summering
Ps my best medicine was always to get a new pup...hoping you can too.
I wanted to say we had to bring in our 16 year old poodle named Sugar too, after the cancer spread to her brain, and she walked in circles.......The sweetest girl going.......never thought I'd ever care for another after her.....but.......we did.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
hello.......We had to put our Lasa to sleep this July. She, and we, had suffered enough. The ride was a horror, we kept wanting to turn back. Since she was a pup,she favored the males in the family......my hubby and her were so close. They would golf together in the back yard. She would run for the ball and then drop it back at his feet. She would jump in the pool and swim all around. Even at the shore she would swim in the piers watery bace.
She had all the symtoms they gave for the bad food, and we put her on the pouches coming down to SC. But, who knows what the cause was. She tested ok.... But, she was old and was almost 15.
We spent many nights up with her. She tried very hard......but it was a loosing battle. One day I found her head sleeping on the water bowl.
She had excessive drinking and then had to Pee a lot........
She did go to sleep very fast. My husband could not get words out, he was so upset. But, I talked to her......
I carried her up to the spot my husband dug......he was the saddest man that day........It was so awfully hard for him to dig that, before the time that we knew we would have to follow through.
Its difficult.......we all love our dogs so, so, much.
But.......you have to just be glad the dog will suffer no more.
For the times you had.......and the happiness your dog had.
Blessings to you.......You did what you had to do, just like many of us.
So, so, difficult.........Summering
Ps my best medicine was always to get a new pup...hoping you can too.
I wanted to say we had to bring in our 16 year old poodle named Sugar too, after the cancer spread to her brain, and she walked in circles.......The sweetest girl going.......never thought I'd ever care for another after her.....but.......we did.
Thanks for sharing. I'm so sorry to hear about Lasa. You have some wonderful memories to cherish. While the overwhelming sense of loss and grief will diminish with time, those memories will live with you forever.

I completely agree with your prescription. No dog will ever replace the one you lost, but another dog can help share that sense of loss while creating new happier memories at the sametime. I have had to put down four wonderful dogs in my life, and each time is was incredibly difficult. I will never forget Rex, Max, Sandy, and Shasta and all the joy they brought me over the years. I make certain to enjoy every moment with Blizzard and Buddy, my two most current dogs, because I know they will only be with me for a limited time.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:53 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,920 times
I don't know how I would wake up everyday without my baby dogs. I can't imagine what you're all going through.

Although no doggie will replace yours, so many out there need loving homes.
Please consider adopting instead of buying from a breeder.

We're hoping & praying AJ's inverterbrate disc disease doesn't recur & paralyze him & his heart murmur doesn't incapacitate or kill him. Our dogs are, unfortuntaely, the product of an irresponsible breeder. Bought by somebody & ditched in a parking lot.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:44 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Has anyone been through this? You know it is the right thing to do because your baby is so ill with no chance but you can't help but feel you let them down. It is especially difficult having saved the animal from sure death only to have to go through this. The sunrise that morning was the worst thing I have ever seen. I miss that dog more than anything.
((((((HUGS))))))))

Old 02-17-2008, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 23,330 times
Hellofromme I understand.

I had to out my little Kiwi to sleep 3 weeks ago, yesterday. Not a minute goes by without me wondering if I did the right thing. I got her from a friend who couldn't take care of her, she was 8 weeks old. My friend said she got her from a breeder, I think it was a puppy mill. Kiwi had a liver that was less than half a normal liver. It supported her for as long as it could, but in the end she was suffering so much. I had to put her to sleep. She was listless and unresponsive until we got to the vet, I think she knew what was going to happen.

I tried to soothe her, I sat with her and hugged her and she looked so afraid. As the vet was administering the meds, she let out such a horrible yelp - it was the only time I had ever heard a sound like that come from her. It was horrifying. Her eyes looked right at me with such fear. And then she was gone. I will never forget that sound or that look - that was the last sound I heard from my baby. The last look that she gave me. I have been crying since then - just as I am now. My baby was gone and I was responsible for it. It's a guilt that I don't think will wever go away. I just miss her so much. I am so afraid that I made the wrong decision and she hates me. If O could go back, I would have waited a bit longer, I would have tried to find another way...I don't know what I would have done. What could have been done.

I know the guilt and pain you are feeling. I am carrying my huge share of it. Please accept my sincerest sympathies for you loss. I hope that you find peace from your pain soon. I have been trying to focus on the happiness that my little Kiwi brought me. It helps a little.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
Quote:
Has anyone been through this? You know it is the right thing to do because your baby is so ill with no chance but you can't help but feel you let them down. It is especially difficult having saved the animal from sure death only to have to go through this. The sunrise that morning was the worst thing I have ever seen. I miss that dog more than anything.
I am so very sorry for your loss. I, like everyone else here, understand what you are going through. On January 23, 2003 we had to do the same to our beloved bandit (he had cancer and arthritus in his spine that was so bad 3 vertibraes were fused togehter). As painful as is it just remember your baby no longer suffers and is now able to watch over you and protect you from rainbow bridge. no one ever said a gardian angel had to be a human. now your baby is your gardian angel. I still have moments even 5 years later where I cry over bandit.

Several months after we lost bandit hubby and I had a wonderful party in his honor. Because bandit was my hubby's frat mascot we invited his frat brothers to our home to pay tribute to bandit. we also encourage people to send emails telling different stories about bandit. we kept every single one of those plus cards and little mementoes like bandit's tags and collar and everything is kept safely in a pretty box with bandit's picture on it. It took me a very long time before i was able to look at these things without crying.

Soon one day you'll be able to remember your baby and all the fun times you had without crying too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge