U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 PM
 
15,815 posts, read 28,152,585 times
Reputation: 27202

Advertisements

I think we all know what it is like. It does help me to remember that other people feel a similar pain, and that the dog who was so unique to me, other people's dogs are as unique to them, too. For some reason, that helps me.
But really, better to have known and loved them, than not.
My Ezra, adopted at 14, is now 17. The time has flown by. I knew when I got him that it wouldn't be that long, but it still is so hard to watch him slow down and know that day is coming.
I think the key is to grieve, and feel sad, and try not to numb it into depression. Depression is a lot worse, and doesn't honor our friends who have passed.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2008, 12:57 PM
 
15,815 posts, read 28,152,585 times
Reputation: 27202
I tried to soothe her, I sat with her and hugged her and "As the vet was administering the meds, she let out such a horrible yelp" -

I had a similar horrible experience the first time I put a dog down. He was a 10-year-old adoption who lived five years. He had to be sedated twice, and still the vet tech (in tears) had to put a muzzle on him, and the scene was awful, not peaceful at all. The vet said that the yelp and all is confusion- they don't know what it going on, said it isn't pain. Still, it was horrible, and left me devastated. But I couldn't keep him going in his collapsing way.
The second dog, who I'd had 11 years, also had a failing liver. He got on the table, slumped in my arms, and that was it- the way it should be. Peaceful, and delivered from pain.
It's awful no matter what, but if the dog isn't able to continue living, we owe it to them to care for them in that last and final way. Better that, than keep them alive in misery for our own feelings.
I miss them all, as I'm sure everyone else does.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
 
3 posts, read 21,644 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I had a similar horrible experience the first time I put a dog down. He was a 10-year-old adoption who lived five years. He had to be sedated twice, and still the vet tech (in tears) had to put a muzzle on him, and the scene was awful, not peaceful at all. The vet said that the yelp and all is confusion- they don't know what it going on, said it isn't pain. Still, it was horrible, and left me devastated. But I couldn't keep him going in his collapsing way.
The second dog, who I'd had 11 years, also had a failing liver. He got on the table, slumped in my arms, and that was it- the way it should be. Peaceful, and delivered from pain.
It's awful no matter what, but if the dog isn't able to continue living, we owe it to them to care for them in that last and final way. Better that, than keep them alive in misery for our own feelings.
I miss them all, as I'm sure everyone else does.
Brightdoglover, a little less than a month before we had to put my daughter's dog, Yummy, to sleep as well. He was also a rescued Maltese that we had for 8 years. He had an inoperable brain tumor and liver disease as well. Yummy had gotten so bad that he had a stroke. When we took him to the vets he had no idea what was going on. It was much easier to have him go to sleep because he was gone already.

Kiwi was still fighting and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wonder if I made a mistake. Maybe it was too early. My vet said it was the right thing to do, she was suffering. But in my heart, I will always have doubt. That is what hurts the most. Her vigor and fight at the end makes me doubt my decision and there's no way of me knowing for sure. I am trying to get past beating myself up. I cry everyday because I miss her so much.

She was my little angel and my life is emppty without her. She was my first baby. Our other dog was mmy daughters baby and I adored him, but Kiwi was my baby - she slept with me, she ate with me, I never used the bathroom alone while she was with me. From day one, she was my shadow. I spoiled her terribly and now that she's no longer with me I feel like I am missing a part of my soul. Silly I know - but I have never loved an animal like I loved Kiwi, and I never will again.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2008, 09:59 AM
 
1,408 posts, read 7,612,089 times
Reputation: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenGen View Post
She was my little angel and my life is emppty without her. She was my first baby. Our other dog was mmy daughters baby and I adored him, but Kiwi was my baby - she slept with me, she ate with me, I never used the bathroom alone while she was with me. From day one, she was my shadow. I spoiled her terribly and now that she's no longer with me I feel like I am missing a part of my soul. Silly I know - but I have never loved an animal like I loved Kiwi, and I never will again.
Oh shengen i'm so so sorry. the way you are feeling is NOT silly and don't you ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Take comfort in knowing that we all understand what you are feeling and going through.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2008, 11:27 AM
 
32 posts, read 98,283 times
Reputation: 52
Default guilt feelings with euthanasia

As humans, our emotions guide our actions. Some people feel very strongly that they owe it to their pet to be there in the final moments. Others may be afraid of that final scene and prefer not to witness it. I commend everyone who has the courage to stay with their pet through to the end. However I believe that guilt is strictly a human emotion. Guilt does not serve our pet's memory in a positive way. The act of ending their suffering comes from our love for them, our desire to see them happy and not in pain, at peace. The question of whether we do the "right thing" in ending their suffering is one that we may never answer. We are struggling with this very issue now with our 13 year old Golden. I am terrified at the prospect of being responsible for that decision. But I also know that feeling bad, feeling tremendous guilt, regretting the outcome, is something that I feel because of my human emotions. My dog does not know the feeling of guilt. Therefore, I can only look to my own feelings to sort through my grief. Your dog would not want you to be plagued by guilt, but as humans, it is a normal response to our loss. Don't beat yourself up at a time when you need love and understanding. Please remember you made the decision to ease your dog's suffering. To help her in that moment of transition. And you were so brave to see her through. I'm so sorry that it was so traumatic and difficult. I know that Kiwi had a great life with you. And how fortunate she was to have your strength and character when she needed you. We are all behind you and know you will feel stronger with time. Please, please don't think you've done anything wrong. I'm proud of your courage. God bless!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 PM
 
3 posts, read 21,644 times
Reputation: 18
Thank you all so very much for your understanding and compassion. You have no idea how much it means to me.

Kiwi came home yesterday. We picked up her ashes. It was another hard day. Bringing her home in a brown paper bag was so surreal. I cried and cried. having her ashes really brought the reality home. She really is gone. My little girl is gone. It will be a while before I can move on from this, but I know that I have to take it day by day. I am actually thinking of getting another puppy, something I never really considered before. Maybe for my birthday in June. I don't know. I'll have to ask Kiwi. I'll give myself some more time so I can be a healthy mom to another baby. I know that Kiwi will always be my most special girl.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2008, 06:19 PM
 
253 posts, read 995,207 times
Reputation: 127
Kiwi would want you to get another puppy and love that pup like you loved her. There are so many pups that need someone who cares about them, that kiwi would be upset if you didn't love another one. She's at peace now and she knows the puppy will bring peace to you and let you move forward, and that will help you to realize what kiwi brought to you during her happy life with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenGen View Post
Thank you all so very much for your understanding and compassion. You have no idea how much it means to me.

Kiwi came home yesterday. We picked up her ashes. It was another hard day. Bringing her home in a brown paper bag was so surreal. I cried and cried. having her ashes really brought the reality home. She really is gone. My little girl is gone. It will be a while before I can move on from this, but I know that I have to take it day by day. I am actually thinking of getting another puppy, something I never really considered before. Maybe for my birthday in June. I don't know. I'll have to ask Kiwi. I'll give myself some more time so I can be a healthy mom to another baby. I know that Kiwi will always be my most special girl.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 12:11 AM
 
2 posts, read 11,323 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellofromme! View Post
(sobbing....)
Hello Hellofromme- I really do feel for you. I just lost my beautiful husky Topaz. I am lucky though she died at home without having to be injected. I have since become very attached to my sisters dog Trixxie a 12 year old female cockapoo and I don't know how I will ever handle not having her around. I know one day that day will come but I don't know how I will be able to handle it. I think you are very brave and I know your do is still with you .....all you can do now is believe that and have faith....I hope you can accept that and I pray for you.....Thanks Ronboy
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 04:29 PM
 
Location: west palm beach
7 posts, read 21,795 times
Reputation: 10
it is sad and will continue to be so for the rest of your life - don't rush into getting another pet - go to your local animal shelter and help out - walk the dogs and play with them - soon you will find another that you can help and love - although they will never replace your first love - they will love you forever for having rescued them
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 04:49 PM
 
Location: "The Sunshine State"
4,334 posts, read 12,732,615 times
Reputation: 3044
My prayers are with you. I had to put one of my dogs down 4 years ago. I still have her collar in my top drawer and I think of her almost everday! I know, it is not easy!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top