U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:58 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,360,312 times

Advertisements

My son and I had to make the difficult decision to put our dog, Sam, to sleep yesterday. My son is 21, and we got Sam as an 8 week-old pup, when my son was 7, so we had him for fourteen years. He really was an old man, (at 98, most people don't live that long), and it was an arthritic/neurological condition, (common to very old dogs), that was only going to get progressively worse, (he'd lost the use of his legs two days ago). Given the information by the vet, we made the decision to let Sam go now, rather than prolong the inveitable. My son is a very sensitive young man, and I'm not sure what was harder, to make the decison itself, or to see how torn up he was, and is. I'm very proud of him, though, because he made the decision to stay, while we put Sam to sleep, something that he originally thought he couldn't do. We sat on the floor together, with Sam's head in my son's lap, while the vet administered the shot. It was very quick, painless, and peaceful, and I know that Sam knew that we were releasing him, to once more become that young and healthy dog that he once was. We brought him home, my son dug his grave in the backyard, and we buried him, as the sun shone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 12:10 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,890,272 times
I am so sorry.
many prayers!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:15 PM

620 posts, read 1,680,677 times
I'm very sorry to hear this. It's never an easy decision to make, but you did what was best for Sam.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 PM

180 posts, read 921,973 times
Celtic, my heart goes out to you and your son. Like so many of us here, I feel your pain. I am sending prayers for you both that you find some comfort and time does it's job well.

TW

Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,542,139 times
Having been in that situation a few times myself, my heart goes out to you and your son. Letting a beloved pet go is a hearwrenching decision.
I think your son made the right choice being there at the end to provide some degree of comfort to your dog - rather than having him pass away in the midst of strangers.

Ken

Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,405,063 times
By the edge of woods, at the foot of a hill,
is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
when their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
for here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
They romp through the grass, without even a care,
until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
the time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart
has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
and then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

So sorry for your loss.....

Carrie

Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 AM

13,636 posts, read 22,970,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
My son and I had to make the difficult decision to put our dog, Sam, to sleep yesterday. My son is 21, and we got Sam as an 8 week-old pup, when my son was 7, so we had him for fourteen years. He really was an old man, (at 98, most people don't live that long), and it was an arthritic/neurological condition, (common to very old dogs), that was only going to get progressively worse, (he'd lost the use of his legs two days ago). Given the information by the vet, we made the decision to let Sam go now, rather than prolong the inveitable. My son is a very sensitive young man, and I'm not sure what was harder, to make the decison itself, or to see how torn up he was, and is. I'm very proud of him, though, because he made the decision to stay, while we put Sam to sleep, something that he originally thought he couldn't do. We sat on the floor together, with Sam's head in my son's lap, while the vet administered the shot. It was very quick, painless, and peaceful, and I know that Sam knew that we were releasing him, to once more become that young and healthy dog that he once was. We brought him home, my son dug his grave in the backyard, and we buried him, as the sun shone.
Such a beautiful , touching story of love for our pets..They are part of our family and we miss them, especially for your son, because Sam was beside him through his childhood...

Old 01-27-2008, 07:22 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,486,771 times
I can feel your saddness and pain for you and your son as I have lost 4 GSDs over the years. Keep the good memories as they will far overshadow the sorrow as each day passes. Sam will be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge. You may even get a message from him that he is okay and is waiting for you.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:13 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,360,312 times
Thank you all for your kind replies. I know, from past experience of losing both beloved people and pets in my life, that the sorrow will ease with time, though the pain is intensely sharp now. I think my son knows that as well, from losing his grandmother, great-grandmother, (whom he was very close to), and other pets, but this loss will take longer to get over, as he had Sam in his life longer than any other pet, or his family members, for that matter. In fact, it's actually the longest that I have had a pet myself, though I have lost many pets over the years. This is definitely the toughest pet loss. We both know, logically, that we did the right thing for Sam, at the right time, but I'm afraid our hearts have not caught up with our heads. We will simply have to allow time to do it's job.

Thinking of the Rainbow Bridge does bring a smile to my face, as I think of Sam, young and healthy again, playing with my cat, Murphy, (who had extra toes; his feet looked like catcher's mitts). He and Sam used to play together, before I lost him, about a year and a half ago, (I had to make the same decision for him, which hurt terribly). I know many people don't believe that animals last beyond death, but I don't agree with that. I am convinced that there is more to our pets, the same as ourselves, and I believe that the One who created us, will receive us all.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 AM

17 posts, read 35,673 times
Celticlady.....you are a very smart lady indeed.
Thank you for believing , need I say more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge