Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,066,077 times

Advertisements

He was a 10 year old orange tabby cat. Until very recently he seemed OK. Although in hindsight my partner pointed out that he never gained much weight. He went downhill very quickly. We took him from our regular vet to emergency vet at the vet school. They weren't able to save him, and he was obviously in distress, so we let him go. Today I'm at work but I can't concentrate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 09:54 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
He was a 10 year old orange tabby cat. Until very recently he seemed OK. Although in hindsight my partner pointed out that he never gained much weight. He went downhill very quickly. We took him from our regular vet to emergency vet at the vet school. They weren't able to save him, and he was obviously in distress, so we let him go. Today I'm at work but I can't concentrate.

I'm so sorry about Duke. I hope that your heart soon fills with the happy memories of him, and pushes out the sadness. peace to you,
sparrow

Old 10-08-2015, 11:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
So sorry. The last best thing is to let them go when it's time.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:10 AM

Thanks for all the comments. With our 21 year old cat, we weren't surprised when she started showing her age and couldn't move around much. She passed away at home. With a 10 year old cat, we just never expected this. As a few people have said to me, cats do a good job of hiding their distress. It was true with our Duke.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:24 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,530 times
I'm very sorry for the loss of your animal friend.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I'm very sorry for the loss of your animal friend.
Thank you very much.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:22 AM

275 posts, read 397,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Thanks for all the comments. With our 21 year old cat, we weren't surprised when she started showing her age and couldn't move around much. She passed away at home. With a 10 year old cat, we just never expected this. As a few people have said to me, cats do a good job of hiding their distress. It was true with our Duke.
Condolences. I know exactly what you mean. I never dreamed that my beloved cat would be gone at 8 1/2. I guess with cats, nothing is ever on "our" schedule. It is good that your kitty's last hours were at home, in the place and with the people who loved her. Our animal friends will always be part of us, and live forever in our memory.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
Condolences. I know exactly what you mean. I never dreamed that my beloved cat would be gone at 8 1/2. I guess with cats, nothing is ever on "our" schedule. It is good that your kitty's last hours were at home, in the place and with the people who loved her. Our animal friends will always be part of us, and live forever in our memory.
I appreciate your comments. Actually what made it more difficult is that Duke didn't die at home. He was at NC State Vet School. My partner and I went there in the early afternoon so we could be with him one last time before he was put to sleep. I guess we take comfort in the fact that he didn't die alone in a cold cage. He was obviously suffering at the end and that was so hard to see. My partner took him outside so he could see the sun. I was afraid that Duke might try to run away but he was too weak. We spent maybe 15 minutes with him and then made the decision to end his suffering.

Our 21 year old female cat Abbey did die at home and even though we knew she was declining, it was easier to deal with emotionally. We woke up one morning and she had passed away in her sleep.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:42 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times
Unhappy Im so sorry my friend......

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge