Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 01:46 PM

1,640 posts, read 791,258 times

Advertisements

I'm heart broken, grief stricken, and guilt ridden over my poor dog, Comet. My Min Pin was hit by a car last night and she died. I practiced bad habits with her since the birth of my second daughter. I have two children and typically after work I used to go in the backyard with my Comet and toddler daughter for about 30 minutes so Comet could run around a bit. We built a fence and tried barricade all the nooks and crannies, but since she was so small she always found a way to sneak out. So, we had to be with her outside at all times. I just picked up a $300 electric fence a couple of weeks ago that we haven't even set up yet.

Since the baby arrived this year I have not been able to go out back with her at night. I'm alone with both kids and the dog. I have to get dinner going, do baths, the whole night time routine thing. So, I got into the habit of putting her on her lead at the front door after we all had dinner (she would feast on the mess from the kids). There was a place to tether her on our stoop with the 12' lead and she would sit out there, go pee on the front lawn, look around, bark at the cars, whatever. I could keep my eye on her. I thought at least she was getting out of the house a bit.

Well, last night she got loose from her collar. I'm sure she was chasing something across the road. I should have kept her in. I could have done better by her in a million ways. I'm so sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 03:41 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,878,848 times
I'm so sorry about the loss of Comet. She sounds like she was a lot of fun and one clever little dog It sounds like you really did everything you could to keep her safe by keeping her collared until you could get the fence put up for her. She was certainly loved a lot; I can tell that from your post. I know that you must have done great by her--I am sure that she got a lot of attention and treats from you. Don't beat yourself up about it, because you did have her restrained. I hope that you feel better soon.

It's always hard to lose a companion animal, even if it is expected. Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise or diminish it.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:21 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,826,388 times
I'm sorry for your loss and understand your guilt which of course makes the grief worse. FWIW, Comet died doing what she loved.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:24 PM

300 posts, read 604,934 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. Comet sounds like she was very special to you.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:48 PM

1,640 posts, read 791,258 times
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I, and my husband, loved hear dearly. She was really at the heart of our family; completely immersed in everything/one. It feels unnatural to sit here without her. She loved to be under a blanket while on the couch with me watching TV. She loved to be with people. She was too young to die (6 & 1/2).

Old 12-14-2015, 08:36 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,767,810 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae
Well, last night she got loose from her collar. I'm sure she was chasing something across the road. I should have kept her in. I could have done better by her in a million ways. I'm so sorry.
Ahhhhhhh try not to look down on yourself.. YOU LOVED HER AND DID THE BEST YA COULD

Thats what matters my friend

Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,051,555 times
I'm so sorry for you loss You did everything fine! Dogs get out sometimes. My yorkie Nellie is constantly looking for ways out of the fence and we have had to put up barricades. It happens, please don't blame yourself.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:58 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,019,525 times
yes please don't beat yourself up over it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge